Engines

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Engines

Postby Patrick » 14 Fri Oct, 2005 11:04 pm

We are looking at putting together one of the new Manxter 2+2 kits and are looking for a good engine. Other than Scat, does anyone know a good place to get an engine (possibly with the Porsche fan shroud)? Also, does anybody have a good source for a new or rebuilt transmission just in case we find a good donor chasis without a good transmission? - Thanks!
Patrick
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 15 Sat Oct, 2005 1:51 am

Hey there!

With my experience in listening to others, I've learned the best builders are the ones you can see do the work, or the ones who help you do it yourself..there are too many factors for errors(and too many horror stories) from places that build engines by bulk, quantity versus quality... I'm quite certain there are qualified engine builders in every major city...

If you're interested in a Porsche type cooling system, I've seen them from 600-1000 bucks, and for that price, you can invest that money in an actual Porsche engine, with adapter, of course...

Trannys? Everywhere..in fact, I have an extra drum-to-drum swing axle I'm trying to get rid of..
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Patrick

Postby Texasbuggys » 15 Sat Oct, 2005 9:07 am

Contact Buggy Warehouse in San Antonio and ask them for Bill Maxie's number. If he is still building them he can buiild you wahtever you want it it will stay together. He was their machinist for years and built ever type of race engine you can imagine. He builds at his house and you can stnd there and watch him build from start to finish if you want. He can build gas , turbo to alcohol injected. My bud has one of his in his Ghia vert and he is running the 11 blade Porsche shroud, doual webbers and a MSD 6AL ignition and rev limiter. The car runs great and is driven hard. Smokes the tires nicely too.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Keith Wenzel » 17 Mon Oct, 2005 9:26 am

I'll throw in a plug for Qualitat here in Grand Prairie. Doug has built 2 motors for me and both work great> his price was better than most, especially from catalogs and mail order places. If you are close to DFW, check him out.
Father and Son Projects
Keith Wenzel
Buggy Driver

Postby Buggy1 » 17 Mon Oct, 2005 11:28 am

I have to throw in a plug for my two best sources. I have never had a raw deal with Doug a Qualitat and I have never had a raw deal with Aircooledpars.com. I also have never had a problem with any engine from Neil Decker at Hawkeye Buggies 9 He built my last one while building my chassis and body.

I have to say the best people support our club and I feel they ( our sponsors ) are careing people who love our sport. check the sponsors in your area on our sponsor list - its a good place to start and feel good about your purchases.
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Return to General Discussion