Staggerwing's Build

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Staggerwing's Build

Postby admin » 19 Fri Nov, 2010 6:46 pm

It began in the summer of 2005, when the Buggy Blast event held in Salado was listed somewhere, either in a magazine or a website; it sounded pretty interesting. I thought it would be cool to see what this was all about so the wife and I piled in the Corolla and headed to Salado, not really knowing what to expect. Arriving on Sunday, the day of “The Cruise”, we found ourselves driving around the town looking for buggies cause we really didn’t know where they were to meet, or, they weren’t where they were supposed to be; something like that. Approaching the point of disappointment, a white (and pink?) buggy appeared on a side street, followed by a green one. In hot pursuit we stumbled across two event participants, Jimmy and Donna, who were basically doing the same thing we were, or they were just a little earlier than the rest of the group that was soon to arrive. They had pulled into a parking lot so we pulled up beside them, rolled down our windows; this is where we were exposed to the “disease”. We made it to a park where 15 buggies assembled to eat tacos, drink O.J. and Coffee, B.S. a little, then hit the road for a cruise. We were met with a hospitality that was a bit unsuspected but well-appreciated as Hawk began to organize and opportunity for the wife and I to “ridealong” with a couple of the members that had an open space in their buggy’s for a passenger. We were not able to go along for the cruise because of time constraints but we did stay long enough to see all the cars and hear them take off; which was “The Nail in the Coffin”, so to speak. When Bill and Linda Knesek pulled in with their Yellow Buggy (one of the later arrivals) something began to happen to the hair on the back of my neck. Bill got out of his buggy and walked over to meet other members but Linda began talking to us about their hobby and the group of people involved. It wasn’t long after that when the members began to break up, jump in their buggies, and fire-up their engines. Bill walked over, introduced himself and offered to provide any help he could and answer questions about a possible “buggy project” for us newcomers. He gave me his business card, jumped in his buggy with Linda, and they fired up their buggy. Bad things were happening to the hair on the back of my neck at that point. Donna (Pink Panther) backed out, hit the gas, and I was hooked. I looked at Sandy (my beloved for the last 32 years) and she had a funny look on her face as well. “We” were hooked… and I began to ponder the possibilities.
Two weeks later this BillK guy calls me at home and asked me how the project was coming. What project? At that time I hadn’t really committed to it but it didn’t take long after that and a couple of more convincing conversations from Bill, a Berrien Body was ordered, a donor acquired, and the project was underway. Along the way there has been helpful advice from several club members, and although Bill is the only one I had actually met, several have pitched in to give advice. It has all been good and much appreciated. The project was a real eye-opener for me as I have never attempted anything like this before but it has been both frustrating and rewarding, to say the least. I have had a blast building this car and can’t wait to cruise with the rest of the gang. Thanks Sandy, my VERY understanding wife (I think we’re all in the same boat here), Kara and Justin (they supplied the donor), Kim & Kayla (they think it’s “cool”) and a special thanks needs to go out to my sister Mare for the continued encouragement provided by her excitement during each phase of the build. She continues to nurse the dream she had as a teenager of having her own buggy someday. I hope she follows through. Thanks for the encouragement Bill, and for keeping the fire burning throughout the project. Thanks to the club members for all the advice, building tips, and ideas that helped make the project run smoother One thing Staggerwing doesn't talk about much here. The donor was a super, and yes, he took the super frame head off and replaced it with a ball joint frame head. Earlier in the article, he said "I have never attempted anything like this before..." Looks like you did a great job. You should be very proud.
Be sure to check out Staggerwing's Photobucket Album. Many more detail pictures.
Buggy Specs:
Donor–73 Super Beetle Pan–Macpherson front clip replaced with 70’ frame head and ball joint suspension. 2” box steel replaces the stock pan frame. Body-Berrien Nostalgia (Canary Yellow) Wheels-Cragar S/S (oh yeah baby) Front 15 x 7, Rear 15 x 10 Tires-BFG T/A’s Front 215/60, Rear 295/50 Engine–1776cc 110 Cam Dual Kadron Carbs Exhaust – Tri Mill “Old School Bazooka’s (oh yeah baby) Seats – 1993 BMW LS

admin
Site Admin

Return to Member's Projects