Faron's Creamcicle

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Re: Faron's New Build (Purple Money Eater)

Postby Faron » 23 Thu Feb, 2012 12:28 pm

Well it is pretty much the same, because I have not been able to do much at this point. But I have plans to do spend some time in the garage this evening. Sure seems like this is going to "Come down to the wire". I will post up pics of what we get done this evening.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 23 Thu Feb, 2012 5:44 pm

I put a full day in on mine today
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 24 Fri Feb, 2012 2:11 am

This is all we got done this evening, I like the way it looks!

We are going to start up at 1:00 Saturday, hope we get a bunch done then!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 20 Tue Mar, 2012 10:38 am

I am close to finished with the 4 wheel Disc Conversion on my Buggy. I had to add 1.25 Spacers on the rear because as some of you warned the backspacing was off. At this point I am going to call it a happy accident as it will bring the rear wheels out a little to match the front. We will see what happens from here...Learning Learning Learning. Thank Goodness for sights like this one!
:D
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 20 Tue Mar, 2012 10:20 pm

I ordered a set of tires today, BFG G-Force T/As.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 21 Wed Mar, 2012 7:42 am

cool tread pattern
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 21 Wed Mar, 2012 9:01 am

April 15 is coming up fast!!!!!!!
Hope you can make it.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 21 Wed Mar, 2012 9:46 am

You are correct, April 15th is just around the corner. I am really starting to question if I can make this happen in time. All I can do is push forward with a smile on my face :D .....
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 25 Sun Mar, 2012 11:45 pm

Friday evening after work I built a stand with casters for my Street Buggy Body, and clamped it on Saturday morning.
Here in New Mexico we do not have to use a front License plate, so I am filling it in to smooth it out. My hood also has a raised area for a Manx Badge, and mine shows no signs of being a "Real Manx". So I am removing it.
Over the weekend I sanded all the purple off to get to the base coat, hard to tell if the original color was Red or Orange.
This is part of the reason I am sanding off all the purple, I want to know what kind of repairs were done before I owned it. Other then repairing the holes for parts, this is about it.
I keep wavering about the paintjob I am going to do, I have so many ideas. She suggested that I paint it a orange with some sort of airbrushed graphics. I think I am going to look for a orange that is as close as I can get to the orange that you find on the old Cremsickle pop sickles(Spelling). Anyone know if there is such a paint color without custom mixing it?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 26 Mon Mar, 2012 8:51 am

I've seen an orange on some street rods that looks fantastic: Sunkist Orange
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 06 Fri Apr, 2012 12:17 am

I got my tires in and had them put on the wheels today.
I have been busting my butt on bodywork and hope to have it ready for the first shot of primer by the end of the weekend. Wish me luck!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 06 Fri Apr, 2012 7:57 am

Good Luck.

Thats a huge milestone getting it back in primer.

I hope to be re-wired by the end of the weekend.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 06 Fri Apr, 2012 8:59 pm

Looking good!
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 09 Mon Apr, 2012 11:39 pm

I have been working on the body, and I think I am just about finished with all the body work. I am going to try and take it out to my brothers house sometime this week, as he is planning to prime his Jeep this week as well. Hopefully it is as close as I think it is.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Jack Duncan » 10 Tue Apr, 2012 4:58 pm

I saw a butterfly this morning that was black with orange wing tips, seperated with a white stripe. I said "There's a perfect color for a buggy." :idea:
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 11 Wed Apr, 2012 10:29 pm

You a visionary my man! I have a plan....
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 19 Thu Apr, 2012 8:53 am

How is this project coming along? Any updates?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 21 Sat Apr, 2012 12:28 am

Seems to have come to a standstill. Now that I have missed the deadline, I have been pulled off of the buggy build so that I can get the house ready for the upcoming parties. My daughter turns 18 on the 30th, and then graduation a few weeks later. So we will have a ton of family here over the next few weeks. Hopefully I will get something done here pretty quick. Uggghhhh
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 08 Tue May, 2012 1:05 am

I got a little done, really looking forward to driving it around the block soon.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 09 Wed May, 2012 2:35 pm

I see a pattern starting will you have this one done for the round up this fall? :D :D :D
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 09 Wed May, 2012 3:29 pm

Would like to, but I can't make the round up. It's my wife's birthday, and she does not wanna go. :(
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Jack Duncan » 09 Wed May, 2012 8:43 pm

Too bad. She would have a really good time, and she would enjoy the Texas hill country.
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 09 Wed May, 2012 9:14 pm

What can ya do?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 22 Tue May, 2012 9:48 am

It looks like the "Build" is just about to come to an end. But who am I kidding, after it is on the road for a while I am sure that I will change things here and there. I have the body at my brothers house, and we will probally shoot it with the main color sometime this weekend. Then I will bring it home and hit it with the airbrush a few times. I have the new wiring harness, carpet kit, seats, headlights, and the seatbelts all ready to go. All I have left to buy at this point are the gauges, tail lights, and front blinkers. Or so I think, only time will tell at this point. Seems like things come up all the time.

Yep, I just thought of something, I need to get the radio and speakers. Ohh and I want to build a box in the back to to act as a trunk. Lets see what else this brings to mind.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 29 Tue May, 2012 10:55 am

I have been talking about painting my Buggy Creamcicle Orange, and this is the base color that I am going with.
I still have Creamcicle Orange all over me, but that is okay as the paintjob does not have one run.
Well, here is the base coat in the sun. I was very unsure on the color at first but now that it is on the car I am really happy. My parents got the paint for me from their buddy who owns a paint and body shop, and a auto paint supply store. Cool story on how the got the paint, I will tell it in person sometime.
Now I need to go to my brothers to pick it up, wet sand it, airbrush the graphics on it and then put it all together.
I am ready to be driving it rather then building it!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 29 Tue May, 2012 5:12 pm

Looking great,,,,,,,I'll be right back, I have to go to the freezer for a creamsicle :D See you at the Round Up!
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 14 Thu Jun, 2012 11:28 pm

Well this is where I am at this point.
I started on some graphics today and hope to have them finished by tomorrow evening. My plan is to have the whole thing back in one piece by the end of the weekend. We will see what happens. I need to get a set of gauges for it, anyone have a guess as to where the best place to buy them are?
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Nooner » 15 Fri Jun, 2012 7:59 am

Faron wrote:Well this is where I am at this point.
I started on some graphics today and hope to have them finished by tomorrow evening. My plan is to have the whole thing back in one piece by the end of the weekend. We will see what happens. I need to get a set of gauges for it, anyone have a guess as to where the best place to buy them are?

Looking good man! You are WAAAY ahead of me!

I sent you a PM on samba about gauges.
Nooner
Buggy Builder

Postby Jack Duncan » 15 Fri Jun, 2012 10:37 pm

Gauges are as personal as toothpaste, but I always use VDO gauges. They are adaptable to any vehicle. They have several styles. I like the "Classic" with white faces. You can order them from any hot rod or street rod supplier. Get a street rod magazine and look for their ads.
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby Nooner » 16 Sat Jun, 2012 8:48 am

Jack Duncan wrote:Gauges are as personal as toothpaste, but I always use VDO gauges. They are adaptable to any vehicle. They have several styles. I like the "Classic" with white faces. You can order them from any hot rod or street rod supplier. Get a street rod magazine and look for their ads.

I think you are referring to their 'Cockpit' line. I am planning to use them on my Manx too. They have:

Speedo
Tach
Fuel
Oil Pressure
Head Temp
Voltmeter

They even sell a super-rad analog clock in that series!
Nooner
Buggy Builder

Postby Jack Duncan » 17 Sun Jun, 2012 1:33 pm

Their gas sending unit for VWs works great and is easy to install. The speedometer cable mates to the VW front wheel, and converts to an electrical signal to the speedometer through a pulse generator mounted on your bulkhead just above your feet. Very simple to install. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 21 Thu Jun, 2012 10:20 am

I had a pretty good setback today. When I went to change the fluid in the transaxle I found a few pieces floating around. (I know I should have changed the fluid long ago and I wouldnt of had this problem.) So I had to remove take a few steps back.
Here is where it sits now. To be honest I am glad I found it now rather then out on the road somewhere. Ohh well pushing forward!
I still think that I will be at the round up, in fact I have already blocked out that time on my calender. However I would really like to finish it sooner so that I can take my youngest daughter to school in it for her first day of 8th grade. Time will tell...
Faron
Buggyholic

Re: Faron's Creamcicle

Postby BrianB » 13 Fri Jul, 2012 5:37 am

Are we driving yet Faron? 8-)
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 13 Fri Jul, 2012 12:48 pm

This is where it sits at this point. I have no engine, transaxle and nothing is bolted together. I need to take the transaxle to have it rebuilt, but I am in Denver working a show this weekend, and when we get back we are going on a family vacation. I still have a list of stuff to do, and I will be VERY Surprised if I have it finished in time for the Buggy Blast. UGGGHHHHHH
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 13 Fri Jul, 2012 7:16 pm

The amount of time you spend trying to fix the trans you have you could order one mail order and be driving in a week 8-)
You should have stopped Vincent as he passed through Albehoweveryouspellit New Mexico to rebuild the trans. :mrgreen:
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 14 Sat Jul, 2012 1:36 am

HahaHa I bought this buggy in October, and started working on it in November.

I do plan to have it rebuilt my a local shop here in town. But I have been and will be doing a lot of traveling during the month of July. AND I plan to start looking for a job at the first of the month. YIKES! I dont even know where to start.....Only thing I have ever been good at, is a job everyone hates. Carsales. Here I go with this line again....Time will tell.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 09 Thu Aug, 2012 1:00 am

It has been a while since I last posted about the progress on my Buggy, so I felt it was time to let you know what has been going on. Nothing, that's right I said it nothing. A couple of weeks ago my wife, kids, and I went on a little vacation. We went from Albuquerque, to visit my parents out by Canyon Lake. From there we went to Galveston, back to Canyon Lake, and finally back to Albuquerque. (10 Day Vacation) Hang in there, I have a point to this story. As some of you know I was a Salesman at BMW/MINI of San Antonio for a long time. When I made the very stupid decision to move to Abq., the store lost a lot of my friends/co-workers at about the same time. So I went into the Mercedes Benz dealership in Boerne to see a long list of those friends who I knew made the move. Okay, Okay long story short. I was offered a job, and we have put the wheels in motion to move back to South Texas by the end of the year. I will have to put the buggy on hold, but hope to have it finished in time to be driving around the Hill Country with a few of you early next spring.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 09 Thu Aug, 2012 9:10 am

Well does that mean you can come to the round up with out a buggy
we always need sweep drivers and you still can have a great time.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 09 Thu Aug, 2012 8:28 pm

Hey that is awesome coming back to Texas Faron!
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 09 Thu Aug, 2012 10:13 pm

Hey Faron,
The Roundup should be on your agenda and we DO need a sweep driver as Bryan said. What do you say?
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 10 Fri Aug, 2012 12:26 am

I would love to, but I don't think that I should. I am have a few things to do around the house to get it ready for sale, and with the move we have some serious expenses coming up. Need to conserve the cash as best as I can. My guess is that I will be able to make everything next summer, hopefully I will be pushing you guys to do more if all goes right.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 15 Sat Sep, 2012 1:40 am

Just looking at this post and realized that it has been 86 days since I last worked on my Buggy. I had no idea.....
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 23 Sun Sep, 2012 11:35 am

We SOOOOOLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDD the house! Now the stress begins!

Boerne Texas here we come!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 23 Sun Sep, 2012 12:24 pm

Congrats
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Vee Dub Nut » 23 Sun Sep, 2012 9:20 pm

Congrats! Welcome to the neighborhood!
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006

1967 Beetle
19?? Buggy (Someday hopefully... unless I sell it too LOL)
2000 GTi
Vee Dub Nut
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 23 Sun Sep, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks! We are looking forward to being back home!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 04 Thu Oct, 2012 9:58 pm

I dropped off my Transmission to be rebuilt at a local shop today. They said it would be ready for pick up on Tuesday. Once I get it back I am going to have to bust my butt in order to get it back to a rolling chassis as quick as I can. This time next week my buggy will be on a car hauler behind a small truck (first trip of two) headed for Canyon Lake. I am so looking forward to moving back to Texas...... BOERNE OR BUST!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 21 Sun Oct, 2012 1:41 am

We took our Street Buggy, and a 16' Box truck to Canyon Lake last weekend. On Wednesday we will load up another 16' box truck, and Thursday I will get to say we are Texans again! So very pumped!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 30 Tue Oct, 2012 11:38 pm

Welcome home sir!
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby ScottR » 09 Fri Nov, 2012 1:23 am

Welcome home Faron and I am hoping you are liking Boerne. I too am in San Antonio. I have a friend in Comfort looking for a buggy because he likes mine so much. Anyway, good luck with the rebuild and leave me a message if you would like.
ScottR
Buggy Nut

PreviousNext

Return to Member's Projects