Muffler Rev. 3

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Muffler Rev. 3

Postby staggerwing » 05 Sat Jul, 2014 1:23 pm

http://s68.photobucket.com/user/staggerwing6/library/MufflerRev3?sort=3&page=1

Special thanks the Dr. Michael Murzi for this idea. The Rev. 3 exhaust system is stealthy and peppy!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Re: Muffler Rev. 3

Postby GregR » 05 Sat Jul, 2014 1:57 pm

Yup, the hayabusa has a nice sound. Murzi helped me with my set up too.
I switch between the original quiet pack, haybusa and a stinger. Really like the hayabusa.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby MURZ » 09 Wed Jul, 2014 10:26 pm

You know if you want a little more sound you can remove the end plate and drill a few more holes to relive some back pressure. I like the modular design like Greg mentioned as well as you can switch just the muffler in 10 minutes.
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 10 Thu Jul, 2014 1:11 am

Did the advanced style of muffler improve on your horsepower? Just curious...it has a great look to it. I have been told that the horsepower can be improved with a little more back pressure than my straight pipes allow.
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 10 Thu Jul, 2014 8:23 am

Yes.

Had duals before; first a Tri Mill dual bazooka system (which was pretty good, power-wise) then another dual set up with some Harley Davison mufflers tyhat someone (a biker) gave me. The second setup was a power-robber, but I think it looked okay. The current setup uses a baja header and a curved crossover pipe to the muffler. The power is back, and maybe a little better than with the Tri Mill system; and it's really quiet! The fit between the J-tubes and the header was poor (EMPI?). I ended up adding and inch or so to each J-tube so they fit was more positive (tube slid up in to header more), and also had to bend the drivers side of the header out a bit where the J-tube slides in to it so the piloting of the fit was more in alignment. It's a little ugly but that's just cosmetic stuff and can be remedied later. I like the performance and the sound much better than the last two systems!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 10 Thu Jul, 2014 10:04 pm

Just wondering if you have any support for the muffler other than the crossover pipe?
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby staggerwing » 11 Fri Jul, 2014 8:13 am

The muffler has a factory-welded aluminum bracket on it that's facing down and out of sight when viewing it from the rear of the buggy. From that bracket, there's a 1" wide x 1/8" thick length of mild steel about 3" long that's welded to a piece of 1.5" tubing that was cut in half horizontally, so it would rest on the header pipe. That half-moon piece is welded to the header pipe and a 1/4" bolt holds that brace and the muffler bracket together. I'll post a picture when I get home this evening. It's a pretty rigid setup. I think the whole thing is going to get heat wrapped.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 12 Sat Jul, 2014 8:05 pm

Like so:

staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 14 Mon Jul, 2014 6:55 pm

Nice fabrication with the mounting bracket!
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 15 Tue Jul, 2014 9:17 am

That old man's wife does some nice fab work. Great job Sandy.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Member's Projects