Dune Buggies & Hot VWs Questions!

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Dune Buggies & Hot VWs Questions!

Postby Faron » 13 Fri Jan, 2006 10:00 am

I bought the February edition of Dune Buggies & Hot VWs, and after reading a few things in it I have a couple of questions. I was reading about the Big Island Buggy on page 84-86. This is a great looking buggy, not something that I would want. But it is VERY cool non the less. I was very surprised to read that he did not have front brakes on it. I just don't get it! He has a 2332cc Turbo motor, and no brakes. You would think that with Go power he would want all the stopping power he could get. Is there a advantage to only having rear brakes on a Buggy?
I will be getting my pans & Roll cage back from the painter Sunday. So I will be on to another step. I am going to work from front to back, so the front suspension and everything that is at the front of the pans are next. I have a Ball joint front end, and I want to get my front end as low as reasonably possible. Cip1 has a Complete Ball Joint Axle Beam (Lowered Adjustable (for Disk Brakes) for $329.95. Then the next page I found Pacific Customs Unlimited has a Front Disk Brake kit from Latest Rage (Converts Drum brakes to Disk & Includes Roters, Calipers, Backing plates, Spindles, and Brake Pads for $210.00. I guess what I am asking is this the best way to go for the front end of my car? Or does someone have a better idea?
By the way if you are a sponsor of this group, and have something similar. Please let me know because I would rather support a friend then someone else when ever I can! We should all be like that if we can! We need to support our sponsors of OUR group! :lol:
By the way look at this buggy, I think its cool! I really like the larger Taller wheels & tires from front to back. Will look better with the body raised a little, and something done with the sides. Looks like the body is resting on the tires, but I am sure that will change!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 13 Fri Jan, 2006 11:17 am

Faron, Do you already have a front end? Or are you looking to get one. If you have one, just clean it up and replace the brake pads. Most likely you will build another buggy after you have learned more from building this one. That's what I did. I hardly new anything about VWs when I started my first buggy 4 years ago. So I went strickly stock. I was building a rail and all I did was take parts off my donor bug cleaned them up and bolted them to my custom Hawkeye chassis. The second buggy I built was a Manx. On this one I went a little after market. I used hydralic pedals and morse cable throttle, Disc brakes on all four wheels. The more you are into it, the more you learn. The more you learn, the more you want to try something new on your next buggy. I plan on making a lot of changes on the one I build this summer (two seater rail). It always nice to see someone as excited about the sport as I am. Good Luck. David
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 13 Fri Jan, 2006 11:41 pm

David, I have a few parts but I am far from having everything to complete a buggy. So since I am going to have to buy almost everything. I might as well build it the way I want it and have the second buggy first! :?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 14 Sat Jan, 2006 12:10 am

I would get the beam with drop spindles. I would also get your rotors drilled to a ford or chevy pattern as it will open up a ton more wheel choices and offsets. Also while you are at it get the narrowed beam as the drop spindles add 1/2 to each side.
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 14 Sat Jan, 2006 8:52 am

Thanks! I will look for one today/this evening. As I have to work today... I hope I am to busy to look for parts for my buggy, so I can make enough money to BUY parts for my buggy! :lol: This is the kind of thing I was looking for, I would of never know all that information if had not asked. Once again this group helps me out! I had two totally different opinions, both were great ideas. I am going to guess neither guy will get upset at what I choose.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 14 Sat Jan, 2006 8:04 pm

hey Faron thanks for all your post.
I get a great kick out of imagining your face and talking with your hands when I read your post.
you are so excited about your buggy that I dont think anyone could get there feelings hurt over something you decide.

as a mater of fact almost all of us that built a car have gone thru all of the emotions and Ideas your are posting on the site, and it brings back memories at least for me
looking at the companys/parts in the VW mags for hours and still not having the answers I needed. only stiring more questions
I ordered so many wrong or overkill parts.
but thats part of the fun of building your own car
I will never buy another hot rod as long as I live
enjoy what you are doing and Post away

oh yah almost forgot
go with what MURZ said he is right on the money
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

HaHaHa

Postby Faron » 14 Sat Jan, 2006 9:09 pm

I read your post to my wife and she wants to know how you knew I talked with my hands? :lol:
I cant wait to go and get my stuff tomorrow! :lol:
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 14 Sat Jan, 2006 9:21 pm

Hey guy, let me know what you want to get and I will be glad to give you a quote! I'll start with the new beam, (100.00) and can supply the rest. The price of the front disc units, would depend on if you want a stock 4 lug pattern or something different.
Stock 4 lug pattern disc set up for the BJ front end is $185.00......and with lowered spindles it is 255.00.
I would not recomend the narrowed front beam, as it throws the ackerman off on the wheels.....making the car scrub tire rubber off when you turn. It also makes the wheels hit the insides of the body when you turn. The only dropped spindles that add 1/2" to the width are the welded ones.
I can get you the forged 2 1/2" dropped spindles ( by themselves ) for 149.95
Let me know if I can help out!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 15 Sun Jan, 2006 12:02 am

Go with David O. You'll get great prices and great service. A winning combination. I speak from experience.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 15 Sun Jan, 2006 7:12 am

[quote=
I would not recomend the narrowed front beam, as it throws the ackerman off on the wheels.....making the car scrub tire rubber off when you turn. It also makes the wheels hit the insides of the body when you turn. [/quote]

Ok I know about caster, camber & toe in. I even know a little about bump steer and what causes it.
But ackerman?? :? Please enlighten
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 15 Sun Jan, 2006 1:54 pm

ditto
do a new link on the tech side
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion