Please Help!

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Please Help!

Postby Faron » 09 Thu Mar, 2006 11:44 pm

OK here we go... I was sanding down the front end of my buggy, I was all happy and then I get down to the .......RUST! :( Darn IT so I bought a Spindle to Spindle Ball Joint front end for my Dune Buggy. Its installed with shocks and all! YEA progress!!! :P I then installed my Transmission with the Steel Straps. YEA PROGRESS!!! :P OK Here we go.. I have no idea as to how to reinstall the rear suspension. :oops: Has anyone done a how to, so I can learn with out screwing up? I did not take it apart so I am at a loss. I know someone in this group can help. :D

WOW its been a long time since my last post. :(
Thanks a BUNCH!!!
Faron
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 10 Fri Mar, 2006 2:09 am

Private message me your e-mail addy, I've got some great 'exploded' pics and such that'll help... do you live near David 'O or by any other guru's?

Personally, I have to assemble my front end, and then after that, I'm probably going to solicit his business to fly down here and for an afternoon, help me line up my suspension, etc... just to be safe.... maybe you wanna consider that... to me, it's a very important part that I don't want to overlook or do incorrectly..
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 10 Fri Mar, 2006 1:01 pm

You will find that there are two different splines on the tortion bars. One is for the inside and the other is for the outside. To find out which is which, try putting the tortion bar into the spring plate. If it fits, then the other end goes into the housing. Put both in and make sure that you can get them out and in easy enough. Then put the inner bushing into the housing and put the spring plates on the bars.
If you are going for stock settings, measure from the top corner of the spring plate to the outer edge of the top shock mount. The measurement you are looking for is 11 3/4 or so inches.
Install the outer bushing on the spring plate and install the outer cover plate just enough to get all of the bolts to line up with the housing.
Now comes the hard part. You have to get the cover plate on tight enough to hold and then jack the spring plate up onto the stops on the bottoms of the tortion housing. THIS IS DANGEROUS!!!!!! I had a spring plate take the head off of a hammer I was holding in my hand in midair, when it popped off of the stop! Note.....a pair of vise grips clamped on the spring plate and the housing where they meet will help to keep the spring plate from flying off!
If it hits you.....your going to be toast!
Anyway, once this is done, you tighten the cover plate the rest of the way, and then install the arms or axles onto the spring plate. Only then is the rear suspension "safe"!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 10 Fri Mar, 2006 1:51 pm

you might find this article from the Manx Club interesting and helpful as well.
http://www.meyersmanx.com/garage/garage_suspend.htm :D
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 10 Fri Mar, 2006 11:54 pm

Carlos, I am in North San Antonio. My email address is minifaron@yahoo.com and my phone number is 830....HaHaha Just kidding. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me the photos!
THANK YOU!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion