Texas "Dune Buggy" Titling

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Texas "Dune Buggy" Titling

Postby Ken » 05 Tue May, 2015 10:32 am

I know this has been discussed and most of you know far more about this than I do, but there is a paragraph in the Texas DMV - Title Requirements for Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicles Manual, that clearly states "Dune Buggy are not eligible for titling." I don't agree with the description or the image they use to define a "DUNE BUGGY", but I can tell you the clerk could care less what I think. If they have read this paragraph and hear you say DUNE BUGGY you'll be out of luck.

We've all heard of someone having an issue with titling since the manual rewrite. I suspect this paragraph specifically calling out dune buggy's is mostly to blame. Whether we agree with the definition of what they call a dune buggy or not, once these clerks hear the words DUNE BUGGY you're out of luck!

I had a chat with the insurance company that vendors at the classic on this subject... because my insurance clearly states VW - Dune Buggy. They said to get Dune Buggy removed because the DMV is reviewing all available documentation when renewing registration.

I'm worried for anyone with a current title that includes the words DUNE BUGGY. I know many of us run antique plates, so maybe we haven't had to think about the titling manual changes yet. But antique plates are up for renewal in 2018 and if your title states dune buggy, I'm worried you may have complications to renew them.
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Texas Dune Buggy Titling

Postby cdmartin » 05 Tue May, 2015 12:28 pm

Thank you Ken; I appreciate you following up on this from our discussions in Fredericksburg. I just checked my title and it does not have DUNE BUGGY anywhere on it. YEAAAA. Hope I can continue to get by with this.
cdmartin
Buggy Nut

Re: Texas Dune Buggy Titling

Postby Ken » 05 Tue May, 2015 2:27 pm

The DMV titling manual clearly miss labels what we call a DUNE BUGGY. But I seriously doubt anyone is going to be successful getting TxDMV to change how they use the term. So stop telling the county clerks you have a dune buggy title application. Any clerk hearing or seeing the term DUNE BUGGY will have no choice but to decline your title application based on this paragraph.

There are Assembled Vehicle rules that a fiberglass build would probably fit into LEGALLY. But I haven't worked through the manual to that level.

Here is the TxDMV paragraph defining the term with their image. I'm not suggesting anyone do anything intentionally illegal to title a vehicle, but I think we all would disagree that these fiberglass cars meet this definition, let alone the picture!

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Texas "Dune Buggy" Titling

Postby boltman » 06 Wed May, 2015 11:13 pm

I told the DMV mine is a kit car. The DMV asked if it retained the vin # from the VW (which it does) and they titled it as a volkswagen.
boltman
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 07 Thu May, 2015 8:22 pm

Now that's pretty interesting.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 08 Fri May, 2015 3:15 pm

When I was trying to title mine in 2009, the lady asked me what type of VW it was. I told her it used to be a Beetle but now it was a dune buggy. She asked me if it was a convertible and I stated it was. My title shows my car to be a 1961 Volkswagen Convertible. I just got lucky with the lady at the window i guess! It is not 100% accurate, but it is also not a lie!

John
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Bobsbuggy » 11 Mon May, 2015 12:38 pm

I had an interesting experience last week. I took my buggy in for an inspection. The inspector asked me what kind of car it was. I started to say a Dune Buggy. He stopped me and told me to say it was a Kit Car since it has a fiberglass body on it. He said they are now being told NOT to inspect Dune Buggy's since they are not legal on the road. So, I was wondering if we were going to need to change the name of our group to the Texas Manx Kit Car Club........... He also said there would be an issue inspecting Sand Rails since they do not have a firewall between the engine and the passenger compartment. I really hope this is not an indication of things to come....
Bobsbuggy
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 11 Mon May, 2015 12:56 pm

Interesting indeed. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that DMV updated this, but as of today I see no inspection requirement for a fire wall.
I expect it will behoove us to print and take a copy of Inspection Criteria for reference.

Items of Inspection for a Passenger Car
Ken
Site Admin

Postby johber41 » 17 Sun May, 2015 10:37 pm

with all the stuff going on to keep the state and local regulators busy...I do not understand the attack on a healthy, clean hobby like assembling and driving dune buggies!....its seems bothersome! I wonder how the AC Cobra kit cars and the Factory Five T-Buckets are going to get around all of this?
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Windryder06 » 06 Sat Jun, 2015 10:32 am

Just curious... Has anyone done a "Bonded Title"? I am buying a 69 bug the is mostly there but not title. If a Bonded Title can be picked up then my buggy could be titled as a 69 VW Beetle once completed.... I think...

Thanks,
Chris
Windryder06
Buggy Dude

Postby Ken » 08 Mon Jun, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi Chris and welcome. Perhaps you've already seen the TxDot page on this subject, but if not and for others who may want to review this, here's a link. I've never had a need to follow this procedure, but it looks like TxDot has at least outlined the requirements for doing obtaining a bonded title.

Many of these buggy's are titled as VW Beetle's. Whether that is the most appropriate method per the latest TxDot DMV handbook is a matter of some opinion and further discussion. But it has been and probably will continue to be done going forward. I'm not suggesting doing anything outside the DMV manual, but just saying. :D

Bought a Vehicle Without A Title?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Windryder06 » 13 Sat Jun, 2015 7:53 am

Ken, thanks for the reply. I did purchase the 1970 Bug and it seems to be in fairly good condition overall. One of the best features is it has all of the data plates and VINs and a license plate on the back. I have talked to a titling agent that says she would have no issue getting the Bonded Title. This would cost $250 with the Bond. It would reinstate the title to the car as a 1970 VW Beetle. Once the buggy is built an inspection would happen on a 1970 VW Beetle with all the data plates and VINs.

Cheers!
Windryder06
Buggy Dude

Return to General Discussion