Information about the Sandman buggy

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Information about the Sandman buggy

Postby Gert » 28 Fri Aug, 2015 11:54 am

Hello,

I'm looking for information about the Sandman buggy. In 1968 a guy from the Netherlands, Henk de Ruiter, bought a Sandman kit B from Sandman, 109 Adolfph, Fort Worth, Texas 76107. He started a company in the Netherlands and sold the Sandman buggy. After several years Henk Hendriks from www.hotrod.nl bought the molds from the Sandman and this model is still being sold in the Netherlands. Does anyone know who was the designer of the original Sandman buggy?

Gert van Braak
The Netherlands
Gert
Buggy Nut

Re: Information about the Sandman buggy

Postby Bobsbuggy » 28 Fri Aug, 2015 11:22 pm

I wish I could help you. I have a friend that owned a buggy shop in Arlington (just down the road). He would be able to tell me a lot about the buggies that were made in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area. However, when the buggy craze died out locally, my friend lost his business and almost his family. I have tried to get him to talk about buggies a couple of times. After seeing the pain on his face, I quit asking. Maybe someday he will be able to talk about the buggies he made.
Bobsbuggy
Buggy Nut

Postby Gert » 29 Sat Aug, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks for your answer. It's difficult to get the right information I think. Sad to hear about your friends pain.
Gert
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 01 Tue Sep, 2015 9:29 am

Hi Gert,
I know it's a long shot, but the location "109 Adolph St Fort Worth, TX 76107" is currently listed as "Greer Motors" owner Tim Greer owner Phone: (817) 336-5443.
I wonder if they would have any information on the history of Sandman Buggy's?

Good luck and I hope someone will be able to provide more details for you.

I did find these interesting articles on the internet. Seems these are from a book.
The Dune Buggy Phenomenon: Book 1
By James Hale

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 01 Tue Sep, 2015 9:59 am

Ken, you peaked my interest about the book the Dune Buggy Phenomenon . Checked it out on Amazon and have ordered a copy. It looks like a really good book.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Bobsbuggy » 01 Tue Sep, 2015 5:07 pm

Ken, Thanks for the phone number. I called and talked to Tim Greer. He know one of the owners of the old buggy shop that was at the same location as his shop is today. The owner was Joe Brent Johnson. He was a friend of the family. After the buggy shop closed, he became a lawyer. Tim did not know where he was today, but thought he must be more that 80 years old. He also said that there had been several buggy shops at this location after Joe's company shut its doors. He did not know very much about those other buggy shops. Today Tim is spending most of his time restoring old Volkswagens. He did remember that there was a buggy shop in Arlington, but did not know (or remember) my friend. As to the original question about where the fiberglass body design came from, he did not know.
Bobsbuggy
Buggy Nut

Postby Gert » 14 Mon Sep, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks Bobsbuggy! The first picture (Sandman buggy FP-34-75) is owned by Jan van der Lit. At this moment he is writing a Dutch dune buggy book with Henny Jore. Jan asked me if I was able to find out the history of the Sandman buggy. The information in James Hale's book came from Jan & Henny.

Was Joe Brent Johnson the first buggy shop owner at that location (1968)?
Gert
Buggy Nut

Postby Bobsbuggy » 14 Mon Sep, 2015 9:40 am

Yes, Tim Greer said that Joe and his partner were the owners of the first fuggy shop at that location. Unfortunately, he did not know the name of Joe's partner.
Bobsbuggy
Buggy Nut

Postby Bobsbuggy » 14 Mon Sep, 2015 9:44 am

If you will get me a list of the questions you have, I will try to visit Joe at his shop. If he has a few minutes to think about the questions, he may be able to remember more.
Bobsbuggy
Buggy Nut

Postby Gert » 15 Tue Sep, 2015 12:40 pm

@ Bobsbuggy, I've sent you a PM
Gert
Buggy Nut

Return to General Discussion