I want to build a buggy.

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

I want to build a buggy.

Postby chuckgentry » 19 Sat Aug, 2006 2:50 pm

Can someone point me in the right direction? I want to build a buggy with a fiberglass body. Can someone point me in the right direction to start?
chuckgentry
Buggy Dude

Postby David Head » 19 Sat Aug, 2006 3:53 pm

Right here. What do you want to know? There is a lot of knowledge on this site. Are you looking to start from scratch or do you want to restore a buggy. Do you want to do all your own work? You can go either way. Let us know and we can answer almost any question. If we don't know the answer, we can lead you in the right direction.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby chuckgentry » 19 Sat Aug, 2006 5:42 pm

Well, I'd like to spend about 4,000$ on it. Would I be able to find something comeplete, titled and road legal for that much?

I'm guessing I'll have to build one.

I been looking for "dune buggy" in google and it seems this is the best place I've found.

I don't mind building one or repairing an old one.

Any help would be great.
chuckgentry
Buggy Dude

Postby chuckgentry » 19 Sat Aug, 2006 5:48 pm

I would like to add, I live in San Antonio Texas.
chuckgentry
Buggy Dude

Postby David O' » 19 Sat Aug, 2006 6:05 pm

I believe that Bobby from Texas buggies has some used bodies that would good to use, call him.....he is listed on this site!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Buggys

Postby Patrick » 19 Sat Aug, 2006 6:35 pm

Check with our Sponsors of the club. We have two people that build buggies. Also a good place to look is the Samba.

www.thesamba.com or Ebay might be a place to buy one. You can do a search for your Zip Code to find out if any are near you.

I've seen several going for about $4k, but you never know what you might get for $4k either as it may need more work than you want to put into it. If you wanted to build one it will cost you more than $4k unless you just go with everything used and not new. Depends on what you really want to do. Good luck...
Patrick
Buggyholic

Postby mkparker » 19 Sat Aug, 2006 10:07 pm

Kinda depends on if ya like buildin' stuff or drivin' stuff. If ya build, my advice would be to buy a complete or mostly complete buggy. I'm startin' from a raggedy body only ....

....that was cheap on ebay. By the time I get it painted, even doin' most of the work myself, I could of bought a new body all nice and shiney. And I still have years, at my current rate, of work to do. It was supposed to be ready for the last Buggy Blast in June. There are lots of buggies around, just hang out here and shop around some.
mkparker
Buggy Driver

Postby Bill K » 19 Sat Aug, 2006 11:48 pm

First, you are definitely at the right place for getting some great help. Most of us are veterans of either buys, builds, or both. Along the way we have learned a lot, and are always ready to share what we have learned.
On the buy side--- First rule, be patient. Waiting for the 'just right" buy can take time, but it can happen, just takes time. Buying on emotion can end up causing a lot of misery, and costing a lot of $$$$. Also, no matter how nice the buy may seem, budget money for after the buy. There are almost always things that need to be done, or costs associated with making the car reflect your taste. In the end it is cheaper to buy. That is if you can find something close to what you want.
If you go the build route, I couldn't agree with Michael more. Start with a new body. It ends up being cheaper, and makes the build go a lot faster.
I've owned four buggies. Three I bought, and the current one, I built. I started with a new body and a terrible chassis. It took me a year to complete, but I can't tell you the satisfaction and enjoyment I'm now getting from my car.
This is a great group, and you'll be glad you came here.
billk
Rosenberg
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 20 Sun Aug, 2006 7:51 am

first off welcome to your new Bad habit. :twisted: LOL
glade you stoped by our gang
if you want to know about buggys this is the place

Patric provided some great places to start doing research
thats what you do first RESEARCH
there are hundreds of body styles to chose from pick the one you like
and go from there :?
you cant hardly swing a dead cow around without hitting a good project buggy.
I have seen 25 or so this year alone in texas under 4 K
for that price you will need to get a project car and go up from there
I think the norm to build a car from scratch is about 8 K :shock:

also check
Dune-Buggy.com in the buggy trader section
or for thechnical questions take a look at buggy talk
as well as TMC forums

use this as your home base venture out and report back what you find
welcome to the club :lol:
heers one I found in 5 minuts 5 miles from my house
http://www.woodlandsonline.com/clps/cli ... dsid=35988
a little pricy but looks solid
Blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 20 Sun Aug, 2006 8:25 am

Hello, I live here in the same town with you and I have found a few things in and around San Antonio. I am usually on Yahoo IM as minifaron if you would like to talk.
I have been building my Buggy for just about a year. I bought BillKs old body in and am just about at a point where I feel that it is ready to start painting. If you only want to spend $4000. you must be just like me. Ready and willing to invest in elbow greese.
This is a great group of people, make this home base for all your questions. I am also a Samba Junkie, and I have found some really great deal there. OK enough babbeling from me....feel free to get in touch!
Faron
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Frontloader » 20 Sun Aug, 2006 1:19 pm

You have received some good advice. All of it good from one perspective or another. You have to decide which way to go. Build from scratch, restor or buy a running buggy in fairly decent shape

I built my buggy in 1969. I think it took about 5 months to do it. That was starting with a new fiberglass body and old bug and all parts new other then what I could pull off the '61 bug. The windshield, exhaust, headlights, gauges, and a few minor parts were new. The rest came off the bug.

I am now restoring the buggy after having it sit for 20 years. The restore is taking as long as the first build if not longer. I am not trying to build a show buggy but a reliable user that will take abuse and hard use. If I built a show buggy, I would be afraid to use it as I may get a scratch or two on it. It will be taking a few trips to the mountains next summer and turning around in a tree or on a rock can put a few scrapes or dents on anything.

My suggestion is to buy one in running condition that requires very little work or none at all to begin with. You can detail and upgrade as time goes on and make it toward a show buggy if you wish. But in the meantime, you have something to ride and enjoy and to learn from.

Decide what you want it for and how it will be used and go from there. It may take a while to find the right running buggy but I bet it will be found before you can build one from scratch or restor one. And if you are short on funds, find a second job to make the extra scratch you will need. The time spent on the second job to make the extra money will be less then the time to build new or restor.

Also a place to build and equipment for building is important. Access to that is needed if building or restoring. Anyway it helps to have a well equipped shop to work in.

Also, it is great you are located where there are other buggy owners. You have a resource to use and others that are willing to enjoy your hobby with you. Good luck in your decision.

Ed
Frontloader
Buggy Driver

Postby Faron » 20 Sun Aug, 2006 9:13 pm

I went to look at the ads on www.thesamba.com and lookie lookie!!! A Nice Dune Buggy for $4000.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=350627

Look around I found a couple on the Samba for that kind of cash!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Chuck

Postby Texasbuggys » 24 Thu Aug, 2006 6:43 am

Check your PM, I may have something you are looking for. A Good used running, driving glass buggy, only needs little body work and paint.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 26 Sat Aug, 2006 8:02 am

Where did he go?
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion