Single Port Questions???

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Single Port Questions???

Postby Faron » 05 Tue Sep, 2006 8:48 am

I have 2 single port motors and rather then just toss them out I am thinking about going ahead and and rebuilding one and putting it into my buggy, until I have saved up and rebuilt a Corvair or a larger VW Motor. Please keep in mind that I am building this by the seat of my pants, and am learning as I go.

What would it cost to rebuild a single port to a little better then stock?

Is it easy to convert it to a 12 volt system, or do I need to?

What kind of power will it have with a little single port motor?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 05 Tue Sep, 2006 10:34 am

The same as building a dual port to a little better than stock.....unless you deside to try to put dual carbs on. Then you need to change the heads and four studs to dual port design.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 05 Tue Sep, 2006 6:05 pm

OK what would it cost to rebuild a Duel Port?

Do you have a kit to do so?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 05 Tue Sep, 2006 6:26 pm

There is a list of parts that is usually required, but you need to call me and let me know what it is you would like to end up with.
The usual list includes crankshaft, rods, piston/cylinders, cam (if you don't want stock,) lifters, push rod tubes, valves guides, (or new heads) and gasket set. This is just to name a few! I will put together a list and price tonight and send you a PM!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 07 Thu Sep, 2006 8:34 am

Even better question......Am I better off rebuilding what I have, or buying a crate/turnkey motor???
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 07 Thu Sep, 2006 10:40 am

If you have a good case, in general I'd say building your own is better than buying a crate engine. At least that way you know what YOU did.

If you want a crate or want someone else build to build it, you never really know what they did, what parts they used, and did they spec it right.

That said, David O does a great job building engines (I have one that Dave's tweaked for me and it's great) and Hawkeye also has a great engine (shameless plugs :D )
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby carlos del carpio » 07 Thu Sep, 2006 1:43 pm

yeah, I wince at turnkeys made from ALL the people who advertise on VW magazines, etc.. they are now for quantity vs. quality... For instance, I've seen a bernie bergmann motor made last year go to junk, yet I've seen one that HE built that's on a porsche, and it's still going after years and years.. I've had read on other forums on how engines are paid for and 'blueprinted', etc.. and upon engine destruction, nothing matched.. stock cranks welded, different displacement, etc.. totally scary!

Heck, let's all get the supplies, head to David O's place, and spend a weekend building them in a 'classroom' environment! :lol:
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 07 Thu Sep, 2006 2:54 pm

As long as you buy all of the parts from me......that would be fine! LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But you all will have fight over who gets the rolling enging stand! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Frontloader » 07 Thu Sep, 2006 8:41 pm

If you guys were not so far away, I would be interested in the class.

However, once I get this puzzle put back together and running again, I may not want to work on anything for a long, long time.
Frontloader
Buggy Driver

GOOD IDEA!

Postby Faron » 07 Thu Sep, 2006 9:14 pm

That sounds like one heck of an idea!!! I am in if you are not kidding! Who else would love to learn from a pro/someone we can trust!

I will bring my own rolling engine stand, and small box of tools!

Faron :lol:
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 07 Thu Sep, 2006 11:12 pm

I'm not kidding! There would have to be some prep work before you guys show up, so if you are serious, you need to let me know....in advance!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 07 Thu Sep, 2006 11:17 pm

If time and circumstances are right, I'd love to sit in on something like that. I don't need an engine at the moment, but sure would like to learn more about them.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 07 Thu Sep, 2006 11:27 pm

That's OK with me!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 08 Fri Sep, 2006 11:50 am

I got a nice DP core motor we could use as a tear down and inspection as well as a roling stand
we could do a photo shoot with specifics for the site as well
how bout some time during the winter
enough time to gather money for parts and such
sounds like a great Idea!
David could we build it in a day or two say sat and 1/2 day sunday?
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 08 Fri Sep, 2006 3:45 pm

The long blocks can be built in one day....once everything is clean and ready.....and have time to set around and grab an iced tea and a burger!
I built five in one afternoon.....but all of the parts were clean ahead of time!!!!!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Frontloader » 08 Fri Sep, 2006 4:48 pm

Lets see how I can accomplish this without it costing me the wife and a few other things.

Which way would it be best to build this engine?

Plan 1. Spend two nights in a motel - one before and one after build day. (I live to far away to make the drive and build in one day. Plus the cost of the drive.)

Plan 2 - Have David build the engine and pay him for his serivces which shouldn't be much since he works so fast. (5 in one afternoon.)

Plan 3 - Make the drive and do the 3 day thing. However, the knowledge gained and new buggy friends made - priceless - regardless of what the trip costs.

Guess that wasn't hard to figure out. Now I need to start scavanging parts or just do a total new build.

Any recommendations - new or rebuilt?

Ed
Frontloader
Buggy Driver

Postby Faron » 08 Fri Sep, 2006 10:29 pm

I think this could be a huge help to a bunch of us, and to be honest it would build a huge amount of loyalty to David O! I am in! I think this is a great idea. I guess we need to figure out the steps.

1.) What is a good date, lets first start off my asking what month would be easiest for everyone. David this is your deal, we all need to work with your schedule.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 09 Sat Sep, 2006 12:26 am

I will be putting together the steps, and be in touch with you guys real soon! I'm going to toss a few ideas around and make sure that this will be a benefit to all concerned!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion