single port versus dual port

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

single port versus dual port

Postby staggerwing » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 3:26 pm

Could someone please direct me to the differences between single port and dual port engines?
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 4:32 pm

The heads, intake manifold and the size of the carburetor. The carb is smaller on the single port, but the manifold doesn't require boots. Horsepower with the single is about 3 hp less than the dual port! That's it!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 9:40 pm

OK so what is better? Can I build my Single Port to be a fun & Quick motor? I have talked to a few people and they all tell me to convert the Single over to a Duel Port! I dont know what to do!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 9:59 pm

generally speaking, a built up single port by it's very nature won't match a built up dual port. SIngle port means that each cylinder head has 1 intake port feeding 2 cylinders a dual port has 2 ports on each cylinder head, 1 feeding each cylinder.
So some basic logic would indicate that you will get greater air/fuel flow into the cylinders with a dual port. More fuel and air to explode generally equals more horsepower.
What do you want your engine to be? If you want a screamer then convert to dual port. If you want a mild increase and more solid reliability, a single or dual port , either will do you well.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby carlos del carpio » 14 Thu Sep, 2006 1:13 am

VW introduced the dual port, so just say it's a factory improvement for performance, while keeping the reliability and finer tuning... yay!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

sp versus dp

Postby staggerwing » 14 Thu Sep, 2006 9:36 am

Good information guys - THANKS! I want this thing to be reliable more than anything else. I guess that what VW did was improve the efficiency of the burn to each cyclinder which was probably done for more power and better economy. A friend is trying to sell me a DP 1600 with a big carb for $1200! He's claiming 85 hp (on a dyno) and 1641 cc. I have an offer from another guy for a fresh SP 1600 build for $950. If I'm gonna push a buggy with a 1600 engine and expect good reliability, sounds like a 1600 SP is a good deal to me.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 14 Thu Sep, 2006 10:02 am

Don't misunderstand....
A stock or nearly stock dual port is as reliable as a stock single port. The issue comes when you want to "build" the engine, i.e. going to 1776 and bigger. The dual port heads have the capacity to flow enough air/fuel to keep up with the increased dispacement. Single port heads arguably do not.
So it's back to the original issue. What do you you your engine to be?
A built up screamer or a reliable stock? A screamer would do best as a dual port. A rliable stock engine can be single or dual port. Personally, I don't think a 1641 dual port can be called built up. Anyone else?
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby David Head » 14 Thu Sep, 2006 11:05 am

A single port 1641 for $950 sounds kind of high to me. Greg is right, All things considered. A Daul Port is just as reliable as a single port. I would rather have a DP vs a SP. DP are very common. Most everybody runs daul ports. DAvid
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 14 Thu Sep, 2006 8:43 pm

all good info
a good built single port will run any buggy just fine
David f 911 car is a single port and he wins the best engine all the time
if you want a stock look and power do the single
if you want more power go with the dule port
its that simple
I have a 1641 with duel carbs and slightly hoped up and Im ready to go bigger already I just run out of power the way i drive it
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 14 Thu Sep, 2006 9:36 pm

OK This brings up a couple more questions. I have been told that some single port blocks can be converted to a Duel port. They told me that they could tell me by some number on the block. Please Help???

If one of the Blocks can be converted, what all will I need?
On top of that will it end up costing me more then just Starting off with a Duel Port Motor?

So many questions!! I am sorry!!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 14 Thu Sep, 2006 10:33 pm

I never thought it was the block, I thought the option was due to the HEADS that you use??
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 14 Thu Sep, 2006 10:54 pm

The only thing that you have to change are the top four inner head studs. I have those in stock and they don't cost hardly anything! Who ever told you that you could tell by the numbers on the block......don't know what they are talking about!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 15 Fri Sep, 2006 12:12 am

:D David, I am going to give you a call in the morning! I am so greatfull that you are a part of this group!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 15 Fri Sep, 2006 8:23 am

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion