Need opinions, Please!

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

Need opinions, Please!

Postby Faron » 01 Sun Oct, 2006 11:16 am

I have been having trouble finding good looking rims that will work with 4 bolt rims. What do people think of wheel adapters? I found a set for $38.00, and thought I would look before I leap!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 01 Sun Oct, 2006 1:27 pm

http://www.texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=505&highlight=wheel+adapters

They're fine...just not terribly reliable off road.....IMO
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Thinking.....

Postby Faron » 01 Sun Oct, 2006 4:29 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=326482

Is this a better option? I like the look but do not know if the rims will be wide enough for the rear, or will have the correct offset in the front. Anyone have some sound advice?
I have been thinking about this set of rims for a long time now. This guy lives downd the street from my Brother in Law and I could get them to meet in Dallas for a weekend trip. No shipping!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 01 Sun Oct, 2006 4:54 pm

The way the rims look, they seem to have WAY TOO MUCH offset to the inside, and I'm not sure the 914 bolt pattern is the same as the VW bolt pattern.......OK, so there is something I'm not sure of!
If you look at the offset as shown on the back of the pickup, you will see what I mean! Better check all of this out before you buy!!!!!!!!!!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 01 Sun Oct, 2006 8:20 pm

YIKES! If you are not sure, that REALLY Scares me! Yikes! Now I really have to think! Does someone have a used set of Rims that will work with my my 4 bolt by 130 bolt pattern.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 02 Mon Oct, 2006 1:54 am

Faron, get your rotors drilled for the ford pattern.. 5x4.5, or the chevy 5x4.75. Any machine shop should do it for you for about 30-50 bucks a rotor. The rim world will be opened to you....
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 02 Mon Oct, 2006 8:14 am

Murzi...What happened to you? I thought you were going to be here, I wanted to buy you diner!
I keep leaning towards the re-drill idea...Wait...I just thought of something. I have a client/buddy that has all the metal working tools to do the job. Well I think! I need to ask him, thank you for reminding me!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 02 Mon Oct, 2006 8:23 am

Faron, I called your cell and left a message. I thought I did :?: :?: Who knows with the way cell phones are??? Actaully wound up in West TX, Fort Stockton, Big Lake etc. Beautiful country, state :roll: :roll: :roll:

Did see a bunch of rails out that way though.........

And San Antonio was beautiful.....really awesome. Loved the riverwalk. Ate at the Little Rein??? great !!!!

Saw the Alamo too!!!

Now go get those rotors drilled and be done with it.
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 02 Mon Oct, 2006 8:39 am

Faron, I called your cell and left a message. I thought I did Who knows with the way cell phones are??? I can not say that I got your voicemail, I am sorry that I missed you!
Actaully wound up in West TX, Fort Stockton, Big Lake etc. Beautiful country, state WoW Ft Stockton....lucky you! HaHaHa

Did see a bunch of rails out that way though.........Thats cool, I think I will build a rail after this buggy, not street legal! Wanna see mass air in it! If I can finish this one! Yikes!

And San Antonio was beautiful.....really awesome. Yea its OK Here. I have come to the conclusion I am stuck here, so I had better make the best of it! Loved the riverwalk. Yea, its nice!!! Ate at the Little Rein??? great !!!! WOW!!! Thats big money! I am glad you got to eat there, GREAT FOOD!!!

Saw the Alamo too!!!

Now go get those rotors drilled and be done with it.
Faron
Buggyholic

Wheels

Postby Patrick » 02 Mon Oct, 2006 5:22 pm

Had the same problem. I already had the set up for the 4 lug pattern myself. Listed the same question on the main Manx Forum. They told me to do the same thing buy blank rotors and have them drilled. Only thing is I already spend a wad on the 4 bolt set up. There are several companies that make the 4 bolt wheel. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Airkewled has 4 bolt patterns and have neat wheels, but the wheels are expensive. If you want cheap wheels like under $100.00 for each wheel look at Unique Wheels. That's what I put on mine with nice tires. They have more to choose from too. Just have to watch your back spacing on each wheel. Shoot me an email and or PM me and I'll send you all the links I have on wheels for the 4-130 bolt pattern.
Patrick
Buggyholic

Links for Wheels

Postby Patrick » 02 Mon Oct, 2006 7:00 pm

Patrick
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 02 Mon Oct, 2006 9:21 pm

That rocks! Thank you Patrick!

Faron
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 02 Mon Oct, 2006 9:32 pm

I am going to have my brakes re-drilled I have a better selection, and the prices are better!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 02 Mon Oct, 2006 10:09 pm

I can't believe the prices they want for their disc brake parts! (Airkewld) And you guys think that I'm high! itchy!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 03 Tue Oct, 2006 9:33 pm

David I will have a hard time buying parts for my buggy from anyone other then a sponsor of this site. I feel even if I have to pay a little more, honesty and the help is well worth it. You care, and that is worth more then saving a little cash!
The guy who built my show/roll cage. (as well as Ryans Cage). Has had my buggy for almost 3 months at this point and and it is still not finished at this point. It is frustrating!
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 04 Wed Oct, 2006 7:31 pm

Dave, who on earth said your prices were high??? They're the lowest I've seen, even TONS cheaper than my previous outlet in San Antonio...

The only way I wouldn't buy from ya is if you did not carry the item, or could not get it.... 8-)
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion