need opinions asap would this be a good on road setup

General discussion area for Club members.

Moderator: Ken

need opinions asap would this be a good on road setup

Postby 94yj » 11 Wed Oct, 2006 9:25 pm

i am thinking about buying this rig and needed some opinions on it from what the owner is telling me it does not start pulling good till after 2k rpms and i would have to take it to a local shop to be tuned down does this sound true or not ?

1959 Dune Buggy (Manx Style) $4400 over $8k invested...
It is Texas titled as an antique vehicle, and has the original tag of the pan.
This car is a total restoration, almost every parts, cable, wire, and bolt is new! This car has won first place in local car shows.....

1776cc Engine, Dual Kadron Carbs
Custom Heads-Chromoly Valves, Hardened Keepers, Dual High Rev Springs, 1:1.25 Bug-Pack Rocker Arms, New Style Bosch Alternator, 009 Bosch Distributor, 1.5 quart Deep Sump Oil Pan, Killer Bee Tig Welded Race Fan, Aluminum Camshaft Pulley

Swing Axle-Richmond 4.86:1 Ratio Gears, Bug-PackTorsion Bars, Kennedy Clutch Kit, Urethane Bushings, Off-Road Transaxle Strap, Camber Compensator,
Empi Short Throw Shifter, Bilstien Shocks, Front Ball Joint Adjustable Suspension Raise to 1.5 in, Welded Seams & Extra Gussets, 3in Body Lift
Douglas Aluminum Racing Rims, Body is Rhino Lined, Racing Seats w/ Five Point Harnesses, Hidden Marine CD Stereo and Marine Speakers.
94yj

Postby David O' » 11 Wed Oct, 2006 11:23 pm

Tuned down to run on the street is right. Start with getting rid of the 1.25 rockers....hard on the valve train and way too much lift and overlap in the valve train to work at low RPM. Geared as low as it is....the milage would be terrible and the engine would be screaming to get it up to highway speed. Would be close to 7500 rpm to get to seventy five mph!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 12 Thu Oct, 2006 5:14 pm

if ya can, go and take a look at the rig.
drive it if it wont run or drive walk away period
sounds like a pretty good deal from the parts side
if it looks neat and built well its probobly a good buy
you will know if its worh the money at the end of the sesion
beauty is in the eye of the beholder though
I paid almost 2K for heat seeker
and tore it all down and only used the body and break pedals
wow what a deal that was LOL

even if it does need some mods we can get ya going in the right direction
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 12 Thu Oct, 2006 8:12 pm

I'd never buy without seeing it in the flesh, and driving it. I'm assuming you will be doing that.
A great way to check out a car is to pretend you are washing it. The first wash job is always the time you discover the stuff you overlooked. So do it now, and find them before you buy.
That can feel a little weird in front of the owner, so if you can drive it away for a little while it can be better for the comfort level.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Delete

Postby Patrick » 13 Fri Oct, 2006 7:29 pm

Delete
Patrick
Buggyholic

Return to General Discussion