Rear Transmission Mount

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Rear Transmission Mount

Postby carlos del carpio » 09 Sun Jul, 2006 12:36 pm

Hey folks, I need some pics.... I have the STOCK rear transmission mount, and the NEW AFTERMARKET type, the new one is on the BOTTOM of this pic.. is this piece gonna replace the stock one, or are they used together or...??? thanks, folks!

you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 09 Sun Jul, 2006 1:00 pm

Carlos, The new solid mount will replace the stock mount, However, I didn't see a front Tranny mount. If you are going to use the Solid rear mount you will need to get a solid front mount.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 09 Sun Jul, 2006 1:22 pm

aw. really? Geez, another thing to get :( I might have it, do you have a pic of the solid front mount? All I got was the urethane stuff...
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 11 Tue Jul, 2006 12:06 pm

I run a solid mount rear with a urithane front mount
was up with that did I miss something
hay greg next time you talk to graffieo see what he says about that
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 11 Tue Jul, 2006 3:29 pm

When I ran a solid rear mount and a urethane front mount. the urethane mount took all the torque of the engine. the urethane mount only lasted about 200 miles. Now with the solid front mount along with the solid rear mount, the whole chassis takes the engine torque. Worked for me
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby Rotobug » 11 Tue Jul, 2006 11:28 pm

On my rail, I was running a solid rear and a rubber front. Never had a problem. If you are worried about torque, spend the cash and get a torque bar. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=178245 here is one on Samba I will be getting as soon as new trans get installed in the rotobug.
Rotobug

Postby carlos del carpio » 12 Wed Jul, 2006 12:26 am

Awesome, don't need one then.. Hawkeye frames come with 'em installed! :lol: :lol: :lol: yay!!
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 12 Wed Jul, 2006 7:37 am

thanks David I will keep an eye on it.
God knows I put the tourque to it LOL
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Torque Bar

Postby staggerwing » 27 Wed Sep, 2006 3:13 pm

Anyone have a picture of a torque bar installed? Seems easy enough to fabricate once the mounting holes and such are known.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 27 Wed Sep, 2006 4:43 pm

Honestly you are lucky to get 200 miles out of the urethane mount! It is not that the mount took the torque load of the engine....the rear saddle does that. It was the urethane mount has tubes in them that keep them from crushing when installed. Urethane bushings work great when they are used like in suspension pieces, but the engineering for the transmission installations has not been done right.
Carlos, the large mount you show is for the rear....with stock mounts also, and the two angled pieces are the solid replacements for that. I would not use the angles pieces as they do NOTHING to keep the two rear frame horns tied together, except the transmission case. It is not strong enough to do that! Period!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 27 Wed Sep, 2006 4:49 pm

The mounting holes for the torque bars are the two top shock bolts and two pieces that attach to the bottom of the rear transmission mount.
If your body is below any of the top shock bolts, (buggy guys) then it will not fit without body modifications.
On bug and such bodies, they will fit.....but they are not a lot of fun to install.....heater boxes are NOT allowed with them and you also have to make sure that they don't hit the boots and flanges of the transmissions. I've seen both happen.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 28 Thu Sep, 2006 10:25 pm

A solid front mount helped eliminate a lot of my clutch chatter.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk