Carbs

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Carbs

Postby Russhebert » 23 Sat Sep, 2006 4:09 pm

I have a new 1640 that has about 800 miles on it. I am running a 009 stock distributor with electronic ignition. It runs good but I have discovered that it is only running on 2 cylinders. It is running on 2 and 4 and I can pull the plug wires out of the distributor on 1 and 3 and makes no difference. I have had a compression check on the cylinders and all are at 120. I have dual carbs and they are solex carbs. Doug over at Qualitat looked at it and says that the problem is the carbs, that they are no good. He thinks that I need to put a set of Kadrons on it. I was woundering if any one has ever heard of something like this and if you think Kadrons is the answer. I would appreciate any help because I have been working on this problem for about three weeks and I am at my wits end. Thanks for any help. P.S. I have checked number 1 and 3 and they do have fire at the plugs, and the plugs are brand new.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby carlos del carpio » 23 Sat Sep, 2006 4:25 pm

3 things are needed to fire a cylinder, provided timing and all that jazz is working (and it is, 'cause the other 2 are workin..), compression, fuel/air mixture, and spark..you got compression and spark, so it's gotta be the delivery system of the fuel/air, which is the carb..

oh, and Doug from Qualitat KNOWS HIS STUFF, nice of him to check it out for ya... Kadrons are great for your engine size, if you want dual carbs, parts are easily found, etc...
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 23 Sat Sep, 2006 11:01 pm

If you have the carb kits with the steel maniforlds, the answer Doug gave you is right. Before you do anything, and Doug, being the professional that he is, has probably already done it..........spray some carb cleaner around the base of the manifolds, and see if the engine is running better for a short spurt. Don't get carried away with this however, it is flamable stuff!
If you need carbs, you might want to consider looking on my site! If I can help, let me know!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Russhebert » 24 Sun Sep, 2006 9:20 am

I have the aluminum manifolds and these are 1 barrel carbs. That is why I dont understand how it can feed fuel to one cylinder but not both being 1 barrels.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 24 Sun Sep, 2006 7:48 pm

You are right about that concern.... I would look to see if the balance tube going from one side to the other is right and tight, if it is, Then I would also double check the valve setting and make sure you don't have flat lobs on the cam....make sure the valves are working the way that they should.
The only other item I would check, is to see if the spark plugs are firing on those two cylinders.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 25 Mon Sep, 2006 1:22 am

I would bet money that the idle jet is clogged. Here is a link to a breakdown.
http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/34_ICT_parts_breakdown.htm
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 25 Mon Sep, 2006 1:40 am

Hmmm. after rereading your post I am also thinking worn cam like David said....but why would the compression still be high??? Check the lift at the valves with a dial indiacator or machinists rule on 1 and 3 and then compare to 2 and 4.

I would also pull the carbs down and check all the jets for trash.

And the wires are in the right place
3 2
4 1
Also swap the plugs around and see if the miss follows the plug. I have had brand new plugs be junk.
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Murzi

Postby Faron » 25 Mon Sep, 2006 8:15 am

WHat happened to you? I never got a call from you, did you show up?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Russhebert » 25 Mon Sep, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks for all your help. I have done all that and the valves are opening the same. The wires are on right and I have changed the wires and the plugs. It is pointing toward bad carbs but I just don't uderstand how a 1 barrel can get fuel to one cylinder but not the other.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 04 Wed Oct, 2006 7:46 am

Did you get this worked out? I think we'd all like to know the outcome..... :D
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Russhebert » 04 Wed Oct, 2006 6:00 pm

Im sorry I have not told everyone but I put a pair of dual 40mm Kadrons on the buggy and I think it is going to work out. I have not finished fine tuning yet but I have it where it will start better than it ever has and seems to accelerate great. It is funny though because I can still pull 1 and 3 off at idle and makes no difference, when I drive it it hits on all four. I do what to thank everyone for their help. It just proves how good this club really is.
Russhebert
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 04 Wed Oct, 2006 9:16 pm

Glad things are working....seems weird that you can still pull 1 and 3 at idle though. Does it idle rough at all?
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Aquabuggy » 05 Thu Oct, 2006 7:06 am

Found this article on the duels, at the bottom he talks about a balance tube that helps with the idle.

http://waitresses.servebeer.com:81/vwpage/index.htm
Look under Tech Articles then Scat Solex 35PDSIT
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby SeanS » 06 Fri Oct, 2006 7:32 am

I had that problem one time, I had the timeing so far advanced that it came back around. I had rebuilt the engine for the first time after a fire. I say check your statick timeing. also you could have a bad gasket around that intake and it is loseing vacum. I had that one time and I was scraching my heade for days. :?
SeanS
Buggy Builder

Postby SeanS » 06 Fri Oct, 2006 7:33 am

I can not spell for poo :oops:
SeanS
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk