flywheel qestion

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

flywheel qestion

Postby buggyryan » 25 Mon Sep, 2006 8:18 pm

hey guys i am almost back in as normal condition as i can be and i am preparing my engine parts list i need to finish the motor. is the exrta cost included in a chromoly flywheel worth it compared to a good german steel lightened flywheel?i want to use the best i can but not pay for something i dont need.i am goig to balnce the whole thing once i get some of the parts back from swain tech. just want it to last as long and be as strong as it can be
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby Faron » 25 Mon Sep, 2006 9:22 pm

Come on Ryan.....We all know that that Buggy will sit in your garage and never move unles you need to get something out around it! Did you fix your Jeep yet?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 25 Mon Sep, 2006 9:24 pm

The lightened German flywheel will work just fine!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 25 Mon Sep, 2006 11:13 pm

Man Ryan you need to get back to work! I miss talking to my friend!!!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 28 Thu Sep, 2006 9:50 am

so there would be no strength or longer life benefit to the chromoly type? or performance benefit?
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 28 Thu Sep, 2006 5:50 pm

The chromoly flywheel will take the same abuse as the steel flywheel that VW made....as to life....that depends upon the amount of clutch slipping and burning going on. Neither one will work or last under those conditions!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 28 Thu Sep, 2006 8:34 pm

cool thanks that will save me a bunch. do you stock the germanflywheel david?
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby buggyryan » 17 Tue Oct, 2006 3:29 pm

hey guys i was wondering if i could get some feedback on my flywheel question . i am goin to go with the good old tried and true german flywheel but i am not going to be roadracing my buggy i will defintely be drag racing it and i wanted to know know what would be better or just personel opinion on more torque with the standard flywheel or more rpms with the lightened flywheel.? anybodys thoughts?
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 17 Tue Oct, 2006 6:59 pm

If you put a berg pulley on the fanbelt end of the crankshaft, then you can run the lightweight flywheel and still have the torque. As light as a dune buggy is, the stock one will still move out. It becomes a personal choice.
If the engine is large enough....larger than stock.....and built right....the light weight flywheel will not hurt the torque value!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk