Widened wheels!

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Widened wheels!

Postby Faron » 02 Thu Nov, 2006 9:55 am

I have what I think is a 1972 Super Beetle "Marathon Bug" I would like to use the wheels from it, but they are far from wide enough to use on my Buggy. I was looking at some adds on the Samba at wheels for sale, and found a set that has been widened. I think it is a GREAT idea, is this crazy? I am going to call a couple of people that I know around here, if you have any advice please share!

Thank you,
Faron

See the add... (the are SOLD!!!)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=360684
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 02 Thu Nov, 2006 10:20 am

unless you have really specific wheels you want to use, or a very odd bolt pattern, why widen them? There are far too many great looking rims at fair prices to go through the whole drama of widening. As far as your marathon wheels, they're probably worth more to a collector as they are than widened. Have you tried a post on the Samba message boards? Lots of collecotrs and purists there that may be able to give you better info on marathon rims.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby carlos del carpio » 02 Thu Nov, 2006 11:51 am

hm... find out who did those wheels, would ya? I got a set that need to be narrowed! 8-)
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk