Engine width with dual carbs

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Engine width with dual carbs

Postby Aquabuggy » 06 Thu Dec, 2007 8:02 pm

I plan on fabing up the engine cage/rear bumper this weekend :)
Does anyone know how wide the cage needs to be to accommodate dual Weber's or Kad's?

Thanks
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby wildthang » 07 Fri Dec, 2007 8:19 am

Hey Chris, buggy looking good .Raymond is running empi HPMX 40 on his (Misfit) buggy with 34in inside measurment with plenty of room to spare.If you don't mind would you tell me the total setup you purchased on your tubing bender. (what dies tool # w/wo degree wheel any info you could send me ) Thanks , Ray
wildthang

Postby Aquabuggy » 07 Fri Dec, 2007 5:48 pm

Thanks Ray
sent ya a PM
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

Postby MURZ » 07 Fri Dec, 2007 10:18 pm

36 inches to be safe. I measured 34 across the tops of the filters.
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Yellermanx » 13 Thu Dec, 2007 7:36 pm

The man loves his bender :D

Progress Report/Pics? ;-)
Yellermanx
Buggy Builder

Postby 167luckycharm » 14 Fri Dec, 2007 10:44 pm

Hey Chris,
Do you plan on incorporating an anti-hop brace under the engine too? Here's a couple pics of my setup. It's bent out of 1 1/4" stainless steel schedule 40 pipe, with short lengths of 1" stainless pipe welded to a section of stainless steel angle stock. It bolts up to the underside of the solid transaxle mount. I used a 1/4" sheet of UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) plastic sandwiched between the trans mount and the angle bracket. A channel shaped 1/8" stainless steel plate is welded to the bottom crosspiece. A steel bar fits in it, with a threaded hole near the center and a block of UHMW is attached to the bar and fits under the engine case just under the oil pump. The underside of the UHMW block has a steel plate where the bolt will push up against. Simply thread on the jam nut on a 1/2 X 1 1/2 bolt and thread the bolt up into the steel bar. The bar and block rises up to the engine while forcing the bumper/cage downward. Tightening the bolt more adds preload to the engine. The jam nut is there to prevent the bolt from loosening up. Here's a few pics...

Feel free to duplicate the ideas. I welded everything with a stick welder using stainless 308 3/32" rods. The pipes were bent using the Northern Hydraulics pipe bender. I used a 21 foot length of pipe with about 3 1/2 feet left over. I've got more pics I need to scan...
John
167luckycharm

Postby big balls magee » 15 Sat Dec, 2007 8:51 am

nice buggy, but why are so many painted green? i guess ill paint mine before the spring
big balls magee
Buggy Driver

Postby Buggy1 » 15 Sat Dec, 2007 9:01 am

Its the "FROGGY SYNDROME".............they hide in the grass and jump out!

Neal
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk