3 bolt nose cone

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

3 bolt nose cone

Postby buggyryan » 22 Sun Jun, 2008 10:59 pm

hey guys need some help on my nose cone i have a three bolt nose cone that i am replacing a two bolt cone to fit the pan mounts, the new cone has two ribs on the inside that prevent it from bolting down in place. do i have the wrong nose cone or do i have to modify the ribs with my dremel to get it to fit. it is hiting on the big nut on the shaft. any help would be appreciated before i butcher this nose cone when i shouldnt have.
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 23 Mon Jun, 2008 8:19 am

don't know how much this will help http://www.texasmanxclub.com/article_Trans%20Swap.htm

David Head and I ran into the same problem during my transmission swap. Changing nosecones was no big deal. I suspect you have the wrong one..
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby buggyryan » 23 Mon Jun, 2008 5:18 pm

exactly what do you mean by wrong nose cone? the pan david o built for me is i believe a 72 or later pan that requires the three bolt nose cone . my trans is a rancho freeway flyer swing axle trans. the pics in the link look exactly right and my 3 bolt cone is bumping up against the large nut in the pic. that is what i was wondering if i had to just masage the inside of the ribs to make it go down. the 2 bolt original cone has no ribs on the inside and also the shift piece does look slightly different than the old one. the pic looks like you hook the rod under the forks first? is that right it would proly be easier that way, thanks for the help
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 23 Mon Jun, 2008 6:56 pm

Probably the problem is that you have an IRS pan and a swing axle transmission. 2 very different animals.
Can someone else weigh in on this?
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby buggyryan » 23 Mon Jun, 2008 8:39 pm

yup thats exactly what i have, david o built it for me and changed it from an irs to swing axle torsion hsg. does that mean modification time?
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 23 Mon Jun, 2008 11:40 pm

If you are talking about the nuts that hole the nosecone to the mount, they should be fifteen mm and not seventeen mm.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 23 Mon Jun, 2008 11:42 pm

I can get you a mount that fits the two bolt pan and the three bolt nose cone,......or I'm right about the first post.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 24 Tue Jun, 2008 8:43 am

no its not the nuts that bolt it on to the trans it is the large nut under the nose cone when you set it down onto the trans it hits the ribs on the inside of the nose cone , thereby not letting it fit down flush on the gasket surface.
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 24 Tue Jun, 2008 11:58 am

How about a pic?
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 24 Tue Jun, 2008 9:02 pm

YEA Ryan...How about a photo of something....Do you think that maybe you could get a few photos of your Buggy on here so we can see it! Come on Ryan Hurry up! I know Shannon has a Digital Camera around!!! Lets see that other Yellow car as well ohh ohh and how about that Jeep. Ryan is LOADED guys LOOOOADED HaHaHaHaHaHaHa

By the way come visit us!!! Bring Shannon, & Squirt! You can even bring your dogs, Ali and Penny could use a good snack!!!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk