Aftermarket Speedometer

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Aftermarket Speedometer

Postby ElijahTurtle » 06 Sun Jul, 2008 6:17 pm

Hey does anyone know of an aftermarket speedometer setup that runs completely independent of the stock setup? I was looking at going with disc brakes on the front & I haven't found a brake kit that mentions the speedometer. Does it function with most of these aftermarket kits? Or will I need to find a "creative solution" if I upgrade?
ElijahTurtle
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 06 Sun Jul, 2008 6:22 pm

Disc brakes work the speedometer just like the drums do.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Aquabuggy » 06 Sun Jul, 2008 6:58 pm

GPS works completely independent, the after market speedos still use a cable in the spindle to drive a pulse generator.
As David stated the disc set up should work the same as drums (cable goes through the spindle and is turned by the dust cap)
My name is Chris and well I'm a buggy-aholic

04 Aqua buggy - sold
72 Orange buggy - sold
72 Green longbody - aka Shrek http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=1082
68 Manx - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2509
Aquabuggy
Buggyholic

speedo

Postby Texasbuggys » 06 Sun Jul, 2008 9:55 pm

Hey Chris K, this is a good place for you to contribute a little Texasmanx club tech article on your setup as a lot of people would be intrested and you have come up with a very cool option that would benifit the buggy folks.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby ElijahTurtle » 06 Sun Jul, 2008 10:20 pm

OK that's good to know! I had thought about getting a handheld radar gun & modifying it to clok the speed under the car & at the same time kind of jack with all those folks that have radar detectors. :twisted: Yeah I know that's kind of sadistic 8-)
Noteven sure if a radar controlled speedo is legal LOL
ElijahTurtle
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 07 Mon Jul, 2008 11:52 am

:shock: ?????
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk