Automatic Transmission Question

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Automatic Transmission Question

Postby mikesmotortoys » 12 Sat Jul, 2008 2:41 pm

I have a buggy equipped with a 3 speed auto transmission. I am having troubles with it shifting from second to third. Sometimes she shifts, but most of the time it doesn't. I replaced the vacuum line, removed and cleaned the Modulator and still no improvement. No luck n finding a new modulator as of yet - the part number I need is 003325 39 1A. All my linkages and cables are good, tight and in adjustment (I think). Is there anyone out there that has some tips and tricks?
mikesmotortoys
Buggy Driver

Postby Vee Dub Nut » 12 Sat Jul, 2008 6:41 pm

what kind of auto trans do you have? VW or other?
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006

1967 Beetle
19?? Buggy (Someday hopefully... unless I sell it too LOL)
2000 GTi
Vee Dub Nut
Buggyholic

Postby mikesmotortoys » 12 Sat Jul, 2008 7:34 pm

It is a VW tranny. 3 speed auto. Don't know what exact VW it came from, I'm trying to get ahold of Neil to ask. I'd guess it was from a Karman Gia? Don't really know - Sorry for the lack of info here...
mikesmotortoys
Buggy Driver

Postby mikesmotortoys » 14 Mon Jul, 2008 9:42 am

Talked to Neil at Hawkeye - I have a Type 3 transmission. It originally came from a Square back or Fast back. Modulator is good, I just need to adjust the inner screw in small increments and post my findings...
mikesmotortoys
Buggy Driver

Postby mikesmotortoys » 14 Mon Jul, 2008 9:52 pm

Got it - Tranny modulator was in need of adjustment. I started by turning the adjuster in (tighten) with 1/2 turn passes. After 7 complete rotations and no improvements, I decided to go "looser" from my original setting. After 4 1/2 rotations I'm shifting into 3rd every time! I'll post a pick of my buggy whenever I figure out how to make it "small" enough for my avatar...
mikesmotortoys
Buggy Driver

Postby mackaymanx » 15 Tue Jul, 2008 2:54 am

I would be very interested in seeing some pics as I've just started putting an auto(type 2 003) into a LWB buggy.
mackaymanx

Postby mikesmotortoys » 16 Wed Jul, 2008 10:15 am

Wish I knew how this site loaded pictures - I would already have them posted! By the way - The bug just went to the tranny shop - she stopped shifting into 3rd again. I'm hoping that it is just the modulator, as adjusting it seemed to make no difference in shifting. The diaphram was good (no oil in vacuum line), but possible issue with the inner workings...
mikesmotortoys
Buggy Driver

Postby Texasbuggys » 16 Wed Jul, 2008 6:23 pm

Mike, e-mail them to me.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 16 Wed Jul, 2008 9:02 pm

maybe this "how to" from the forum troubleshooting section will help

http://texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=5
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

mikes pics of his Hawk buggy

Postby Texasbuggys » 16 Wed Jul, 2008 10:14 pm

Pics of Mikes Hawk Buggy
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby mikesmotortoys » 16 Wed Jul, 2008 11:26 pm

Thanks for the info and for the post! Without doing a thing, she's shifting again - Go figure? ! ? Glad I didn't send her down for a tranny rebuild. I still think it is a pressure issue. I'm running 15# at idle, but it drops as the pedal is pressed. I was told that you need 15# to shift from 2 to 3? Anyone?
mikesmotortoys
Buggy Driver

Postby mikesmotortoys » 21 Mon Jul, 2008 8:28 pm

:?: OK - Here's another question. Has anyone ever used some sort of vaccum canister / boost bottle to maintain pressure in the vaccum line? I know some old school trannies on full size cars had them. I think by having the larger two barrell carbs may be using up some of my pressure :?:

I sold this buggy and want to make sure the new owner doesn't have a "hand me down" problem like I received.

BTW - Yes, I already have a replacement buggy ;-)
mikesmotortoys
Buggy Driver

Postby Jerry » 11 Sun Oct, 2009 8:34 pm

mikesmotortoys wrote:Wish I knew how this site loaded pictures - I would already have them posted! By the way - The bug just went to the tranny shop - she stopped shifting into 3rd again. I'm hoping that it is just the modulator, as adjusting it seemed to make no difference in shifting. The diaphram was good (no oil in vacuum line), but possible issue with the inner workings...

Open a free account in Photobucket.com Download the pics, after U will be offered 4 different copy paste. Try wich ever one the site will accept...! 8-)
My other email is Bacardibombillo3@gmail.com
Jerry
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk