No reverse

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

No reverse

Postby bajadad » 01 Fri Aug, 2008 10:26 am

Hello, I'm new here and have already learned alot from reading the forums. My Dad and I built a rail job together when I was about 13 and then we bought an old 4 seater Manx when I was about 15. We had a great time working and playing with them. So I just bought a Baja for my daughter 13, that had been sitting in a barn for about 3 years. I paid $100 for it, put in a battery, plugs, wires that kind of stuff and cleaned out the gas tank and she fired up. I have all 4 forward gears, but no reverse. I replaced the bushings on both ends of the shift rod, but still can't get it into reverse. Do you guys have any great ideas about how to fix this? I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks for the great site.

Bajadad
If Mama aint happy, aint nobody happy
bajadad
Buggy Dude

Postby David O' » 01 Fri Aug, 2008 11:06 am

You can't find reverse, or it wont stay in reverse?
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby bajadad » 01 Fri Aug, 2008 11:15 am

I can't find reverse. I took the cover off and can see the shaft move at the front of the tranny, but it won't go into gear. I can move the shifter into the reverse possition, let out the clutch and it will just sit there. It makes a rumbling noise idling in neutral and in the reverse position.

It goes through all the forward gears pretty smoothe, but just won't go into reverse.

Thanks,

Bajadad
bajadad
Buggy Dude

Postby David O' » 02 Sat Aug, 2008 1:35 am

The reverse gear fork, or gear saddle is broken....time to get the transmission fixed or replaced.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby bajadad » 02 Sat Aug, 2008 2:01 pm

That's what I was afraid of. Do you know of any good shops around to do the rebuild? I have been dealing with VDub Folks in Irving for parts, any other places to check out?

Thanks,

Bajadad
bajadad
Buggy Dude

Postby GregR » 02 Sat Aug, 2008 2:24 pm

Best places around North Texas

aircooledparts.com, David O' north Dallas

Qualitat, Doug Crotts Grand Prairie (north side of old NAS)

Hawkeye Buggies, Neil Decker Hawkins, TX (just west of Longview)

All of those 4 do great, reliable and reasonably priced work. Highly recommend any of them. All of them are also sponsors of the club and there contact info can be found here http://www.texasmanxclub.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=210

Let us know how it turns out.
Last edited by GregR on 17 Wed Sep, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

How Much???

Postby Faron » 02 Sat Aug, 2008 11:16 pm

When I bought my Buggy I had no idea as to what it has been through. I want to have the Transaxle gone through, what should I expect to pay in order to do so?

Please keep in mind that I live in Albuquerque and would have to ship it to Texas if I want a Sponsor to work on anything of mine.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Jack Duncan » 17 Wed Sep, 2008 7:59 pm

Bajadad, I just changed my buggy from an auto stick to a manual shift. You said you changed both bushings (front and rear). What rear bushing are you talking about? Do you mean the nose cone to frame grommet? I'm not finished putting my buggy together yet. I want to get it right.
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby bajadad » 18 Thu Sep, 2008 12:03 pm

Oh, man, I'm the best one to ask about the technical stuff. It is the bushing on the end of the shift rod that actually moves the shaft from the tranny. It kinda looks like a U joint.

I have thought about trying to find an autostick for this baja since it will be for daughter. Why are you getting rid of yours?

Hope this helped.
Bajadad
bajadad
Buggy Dude

Postby Jack Duncan » 19 Fri Sep, 2008 12:05 am

OOOHHH! That is called the shift rod coupling. I was confused.
I got rid of the auto stick along with the 1600cc engine today. I used it as a core for my new 1915cc and manual shift. It is at the Buggy Warehouse on S. Presa St. in San Antonio. I'm sure they will make you a deal, since they didn't really know what they were going to do with it. Give them a call.
Jack (White Bandit) ;-)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk