Breather Hose

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Breather Hose

Postby Bill K » 05 Wed Nov, 2008 9:00 pm

Is it necessary to have the hose that runs from the oil filler to the air cleaner installed. In other words, could I remove it, plug the outlet on the oil filler (there would still be a vent pipe coming down from the filler), and plug the hole on the air cleaner?

Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 06 Thu Nov, 2008 9:04 am

I did that and it blew oil out around the crank pulley
but they have a small filter to go on the oil filler
and I think I have one to try if you like.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 06 Thu Nov, 2008 9:40 am

Thanks Bryan. I'll get that from you the next time we meet.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby balbright » 15 Sat Nov, 2008 8:57 am

Hi Bill. I'm with ya on the vent hose. Sure makes a mess inside the breather, huh?. I've bought a breather box kit that I'm going to mount on the back side of the air shroud so I can access it for cleaning. I just need to remove and drill my valve covers. Good winter project, that and some dual carbs [hopefully].
A little cold here in Missouri. Sure putting a cramp in my buggying. See ya.
Manx 2 that's really buggin' me and I love it.
Bob Albright
balbright
Buggy Driver

Postby MURZ » 15 Sat Nov, 2008 9:39 am

I have started putting sand seal pulleys on all engine I build as the aftermarket stuff always seems to sling oil. Sand sealed...problem solved...5 minute install
Madisonville La
(Just north of where New Orleans used to be)

Dune buggies....Old men have to have something to excercise their minds and bodies
MURZ
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 15 Sat Nov, 2008 10:35 am

You are so right about the mess in the air cleaner.

I'm not at all familiar with the use of a breather box. In lieu of drilling holes in the valve covers, could the current hose from the oil filler be routed to the box instead, and still serve the purpose?

Before it gets too cold, I did manage to squeeze in a beautiful day Thursday for a 160 mi. cruise in the Hill Country. The absolute best therapy one can find.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby balbright » 16 Sun Nov, 2008 7:30 pm

Bill. Routing the breather hose to the air box is a yes. About the only time the valve covers and crankcase need to be vented is when you build a high horsepower, high rev engine. Other that that, the crankcase vent on the oil fill tube is more than sufficient. The mess in the air cleaner and carb is what I'm wanting to eliminate, so I bought the air box kit. I just aven't got off my fat duff to get it done.
I just got a small flyer from J C Whitney and they have a picture of a Scat dual-carb'd turn-key engine that has the breather hose routed to the very top of the passenger side carb lid. I think it looks really nerdy. I guess they want the breather hose to have a vacuum. See ya.
Manx 2 that's really buggin' me and I love it.
Bob Albright
balbright
Buggy Driver

Postby wunderbrah » 06 Tue Jan, 2009 11:32 am

Hello mate, I havn't got a breather pipe going from my oil filler to the carbs, have seen mini air filters that fit on top of the filler but I just have a little rubber press stud which sits in the hole nicely, looks really tidy and is still there after a year. I reckon that any pressure is vented through the down pipe...
Fortune favours the bold...
wunderbrah
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk