Capacitive Discharge Ignition

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Capacitive Discharge Ignition

Postby Greaph » 31 Wed Dec, 2008 8:52 pm

Anyone using one on their buggy please reply (with pics if possible) as to where/how you mounted it. I am quickly running out of real estate suitable for secure mounting in the engine area :P

Thanks in advance!
This IS my sig......
Greaph
Buggy Nut

Postby Tom Kathleen » 01 Thu Jan, 2009 2:49 pm

I have a MSD ignition setup in my FiberFab mounted on the body support next to the tailight. Go here http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/Toms ... b/P7160196 to see it. It is under the aluminum splash guard, just above the coil on a custom aluminum bracket I fabricated. Maybe this will give you some ideas. Tom
Manxter #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club, CVA, SCCA & RBC
Tom Kathleen
Buggy Nut

Postby Greaph » 01 Thu Jan, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks! We all know there is enough fabrication and skull banging already. I hate having to re-invent the wheel completely :P

EDIT: WOW!! Did you fab the aluminum coil mount? It looks beautiful. /me needs a CNC mill. Paint me jealous :-)

EDIT 2: Tom, that is an awesome machine, the detail work leaves me speechless........ Having gone through the entire folio, I wonder if you could answer a few questions?

1- where did you source the alternator stand and breather box?

2- could you possibly take a few pics and provide some more detail on the oil return lines from the top of the valve covers to the breather?

Thank you!

I have just built and installed a 2275 in my Spyder. The finish is not nearly as nice as yours, but this will be seeing mud, sand and rocks. Currently, my son and I want to have it partly finished (road-ready) by spring, so we can do some cruising. During the summer, I will continue to source parts for the port fuel injection and turbo to be installed next winter (fun fun fun!).

Thanks for your reply, and while your solution isn't feasible for my buggy, it was a treat to see such awe-inspiring work!
This IS my sig......
Greaph
Buggy Nut

Postby Tom Kathleen » 02 Fri Jan, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks for the kind words. I don't have a CNC mill, I just have an old Bridgeport mill, some tooling and some time on my hands. I am not a machinist (Aerospace Manufacturing Engineer), I just play one in my basement. I also have the luxury of a Aircraft Certified welder near me that can weld just about anything for a reasonable price.

#1 The alternator stand and breather box (and alternator backing plate) are CB Performance parts "cleaned up" and with the ribs removed and welded into one piece so no leaks. You get that style alt stand with the center mount fan shroud.

#2 The breather lines are just -6 AN welded into the valve covers and run to the bottom of the breather box, nothing fancy. I think they really should be -8 because I have blowby problems. Just make sure they are always on a "slant" for drainage. When you use a dual carb setup, there is pleanty of room. There is another vent line from the top of the box to slightly below the bottom of the engine. Tom
Manxter #16 & FiberFab Buggy
Manx Club, CVA, SCCA & RBC
Tom Kathleen
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk