Aftermarket tin

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Aftermarket tin

Postby Fred » 04 Tue Aug, 2009 7:10 pm

I recently purchased a 36 hp fan housing with the offset oil cooler shroud and new cylinder tin. It's not a perfect fit so if anybody buys this stuff be sure and have tin snips and a grinder handy for trimming-to fit along the bottom at the block. I didn't find out about this until I installed the alternator. Be prepared to take it off and on a few times to get it right! Anyhow, heres the result,1600 CCs of raw German horsepower!! [img][img]http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt300/fingham/Jess-n-Joe004.jpg[/img][/img]
One step forward, Two steps back!!
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby KIM-P » 05 Wed Aug, 2009 6:34 pm

Cool tins are a trim to fit also.
Those pretty blue push rod tubes with the push rod tube gaskets for the o-ring that seals the two tubes together doesnt work either! I had to scrape out a bevel on the inside of the longer tube and use automotive style o-rings, 1/16", to get them seal. But once these thing have oil on them they are a BEAR to install without getting the tube gaskets cocked, I found that once the tubes are installed that grabbing the tubes with a pair of pliers and pulling them back away from their seating point will help to align the gasket properly.
There are o-ringed push rod tubes on the market. If you dont want to pull your heads to do the job right then these tubes would probably be a better bet.
Sorry about the long rant but I lust got out from under my buggy fixxing the last gasket leak and its fresh on my brain.
It's EASY.... if you know how.
KIM-P
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk