Auto stick... Friend or Foe

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Auto stick... Friend or Foe

Postby matty101_vw » 10 Wed Feb, 2010 2:56 pm

I need some opinions on an auto stick that im debating on puting in my manx clone, Are they any good for a stock 1500, are they worth it, etc. etc. Any imputs would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
matty101_vw
Buggy Driver

Postby Jack Duncan » 10 Wed Feb, 2010 3:26 pm

I removed an auto-stick from my power train on a recommendation. A VW expert said to get rid of it and put in a manual. He said it is a problem from the beginning and it robs too much horsepower from the engine. You will get run over trying to get onto the freeway, and the shifter is very sensitive, meaning you can't get it to do what you want sometimes. I am not speaking from experience here, only on the advice from someone who knows. I never put the power to the transmission so I can only go by what he said. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Trans?

Postby Hawk » 10 Wed Feb, 2010 4:22 pm

Autostick? How many would you like. If it was me I would do the full auto in a heartbeat. Autostick no thanks!
hawk, decker
Hawk
Buggy Nut

Postby matty101_vw » 10 Wed Feb, 2010 10:00 pm

Haha thanks for the input guys, I just found one for pretty cheap and thought it would make it easier for my girlfriend to drive. I guess shes learnin how to drive a stick then. :D
matty101_vw
Buggy Driver

Postby Jack Duncan » 12 Fri Feb, 2010 12:47 pm

I forgot to mention that going from the auto-stick to a manual is quite a chore. If you have to do that, I have most of the answers to your questions. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk