Castor and Camber

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Castor and Camber

Postby jtc442 » 24 Sat Apr, 2010 10:35 pm

my buggy is a kingpen setup. i worked on it alot today and adjusted it quite a bit, but i noticed my passenger side, the top of the tire leans out? i tried moving the spacers around, but i just cannot get it straight. any suggestions? i thing i swapped a total of about 5 or 6 spacers to the bottom, inside, but doesnt seem like it did anything?
jtc442
Buggy Driver

Postby jspbtown » 25 Sun Apr, 2010 2:22 pm

Do you have your link pins pulled in all the way? They need to be before you tighten the cinch bolts.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby jtc442 » 26 Mon Apr, 2010 4:20 pm

jspbtown wrote:Do you have your link pins pulled in all the way? They need to be before you tighten the cinch bolts.

yes, i tightened both top and bottom, twisted them in, before i cinched it down. it just seem like no matter how many washer i added to the inside bottom, it didnt do any good. i guess i can take it back apart and add some more?problem there is, i dont have any more to add.
jtc442
Buggy Driver

Postby BrianB » 26 Mon Apr, 2010 4:49 pm

A little history may help the VW experts on here. What did you do before this happened? Did you change out the spindles? KingPins? Link Pins? Take the trailing arms off for any reason? I probably have some of those washers floating around the garage somewhere. Let me know.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby jtc442 » 26 Mon Apr, 2010 5:07 pm

BrianB wrote:A little history may help the VW experts on here. What did you do before this happened? Did you change out the spindles? KingPins? Link Pins? Take the trailing arms off for any reason? I probably have some of those washers floating around the garage somewhere. Let me know.

LOL, well, not much history to tell. ive only had it for a couple months, but i was tinkering with it this weekend, and noticed there was a little slack in the front end. i figured out i could tighten it up by turning that link pin or whatever it might be called, but after that, i noticed the passenger side tire is pretty far out on the top. so thats when i read up a little on it and tried to do what i could to straighten it by adding or taking away the spacers. i think its a little better, but i just dont have any more spacers to add to fix it the rest of the way? i would buy some from you if you had some.
jtc442
Buggy Driver

Postby jspbtown » 26 Mon Apr, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't know...if you swapped out 5 or 6 shims and it didn't do anything that suggests something is wrong.

Are you really sure the link pins are all the way in?

Read this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... fset+chart
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby jtc442 » 26 Mon Apr, 2010 8:25 pm

jspbtown wrote:I don't know...if you swapped out 5 or 6 shims and it didn't do anything that suggests something is wrong.

Are you really sure the link pins are all the way in?

Read this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... fset+chart

yeah, im pretty sure they are all the way in. there is the spiraled groove on the pin, and i put a wrench on the inside of it and cranked on it both ways. one way came out, and the other way pulled it in. i turned it as far as it would go and got rid of all the slop in the front end?
jtc442
Buggy Driver

Postby Fred » 26 Mon Apr, 2010 8:30 pm

1st, Welcome to the club!! We can give you advice all day but this procedure can be a little tricky, I used the table on page 198 of the Compleat Idiots guide and It works well. Dont forget to run shocks and let a LOT of air out of the front tires I have about 15 lbs, these cars are very light!! I know the guide isnt good for everything but it sure helped me do the front end. The chapter is titled "Shimmies and Shakes" (front end). I hope this helps, Fred
One step forward, Two steps back!!
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby jtc442 » 26 Mon Apr, 2010 8:38 pm

Fred wrote:1st, Welcome to the club!! We can give you advice all day but this procedure can be a little tricky, I used the table on page 198 of the Compleat Idiots guide and It works well. Dont forget to run shocks and let a LOT of air out of the front tires I have about 15 lbs, these cars are very light!! I know the guide isnt good for everything but it sure helped me do the front end. The chapter is titled "Shimmies and Shakes" (front end). I hope this helps, Fred

definately has the shimmies and shakes!! thats what made me start looking. unfortunately i dont have that guide/book. i will try to find it somewhere though. i do appreciate the welcoming and the info!!! im just ready to be able to drive it without worrying so much.
jtc442
Buggy Driver

Postby Fred » 26 Mon Apr, 2010 8:46 pm

The book is titled "How to keep your Volkswagen Alive, A manual of step by step procedures for the compleat idiot" By John Muir. I got mine @ Hastings for $20.00 and it was worth every penny.
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby Fred » 26 Mon Apr, 2010 8:47 pm

Jack the wheel up off the ground, grab the top and bottom of the tire and move it back and fourth. If you have significant play you probably need bushings, that is also covered in the book, good luck, Fred
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby jtc442 » 27 Tue Apr, 2010 12:07 pm

Fred wrote:Jack the wheel up off the ground, grab the top and bottom of the tire and move it back and fourth. If you have significant play you probably need bushings, that is also covered in the book, good luck, Fred

I checked that, the play is gone now. Just gotta get the wheel straight.
jtc442
Buggy Driver

Postby BrianB » 27 Tue Apr, 2010 12:20 pm

If you were to take the spindle back off and put a level next to the trailing arms is there a space between a level and one of the mounting points? If not then one of the trailing arms has moved away from the beam. Make sure the grub screws are tight after making sure the trailing arm is in far enough
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby jtc442 » 27 Tue Apr, 2010 2:08 pm

BrianB wrote:If you were to take the spindle back off and put a level next to the trailing arms is there a space between a level and one of the mounting points? If not then one of the trailing arms has moved away from the beam. Make sure the grub screws are tight after making sure the trailing arm is in far enough

Might be a stupid question, but not up on all the terminology yet. What are the grub screws? I will take a look when I get home from work.
jtc442
Buggy Driver

Postby jtc442 » 27 Tue Apr, 2010 6:34 pm

BrianB wrote:If you were to take the spindle back off and put a level next to the trailing arms is there a space between a level and one of the mounting points? If not then one of the trailing arms has moved away from the beam. Make sure the grub screws are tight after making sure the trailing arm is in far enough

i didnt take it off yet, got busy with a few other projects, but i looked at it a little while ago, and all looks good as far as where the arm connects to the beam. nothing is loose either? i guess i just need more spacers. im in ft worth, so i will call automotive machine tomorrow and see if they have any. i dont know what else to do at this point.
jtc442
Buggy Driver

Re: Castor and Camber

Postby BrianB » 03 Mon May, 2010 5:12 am

Were you able to get this resolved?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Re: Castor and Camber

Postby jtc442 » 03 Mon May, 2010 5:51 am

Not yet. I ran out to the bug shop in axle this weekend and bought some more spacers. Gonna try putting in a couple more to see if that works? Sure hope it does.
jtc442
Buggy Driver

Return to Technical Talk