Alternator mystery

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Alternator mystery

Postby Fred » 18 Tue May, 2010 8:06 pm

When I start the car the alt light comes on until I rev the engine pretty good(3000 RPM) and then it goes out. After running for a while it comes back on and only dims a little when revved. Could this be because I have a new battery and it doesnt need to charge or do y'all think there's a problem? when I disconnect the Positive terminal on the battery the car dies, All these Parts are new, any ideas?
One step forward, Two steps back!!
Fred
Buggy Nut

Re: Alternator mystery

Postby jspbtown » 19 Wed May, 2010 8:08 am

I would check your connections and belt tension.

You say a new battery.....I assume the old one died? Whats the voltage read when the light comes on? You can check it with a voltmeter. Your alternator could be on its last legs.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 19 Wed May, 2010 9:24 am

Fred wrote: when I disconnect the Positive terminal on the battery the car dies, All these Parts are new, any ideas?

It could be a connection, but it sounds like the alternator is not functioning properly. I would pull it and have it tested. If the system is connected properly (it was not doing this before?) you simple test is a pretty sure indicator of a bad alternator. Your battery is likely providing all of your electrical needs and is not being recharged. Starting problem are sure to follow...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Don » 19 Wed May, 2010 1:15 pm

jspbtown wrote:I would check your connections and belt tension.

Definitely check belt tension and condition. Might want to pull your alternator pulley and make sure there is a woodruff key.
1967 Dune Buggy - aka Shrek
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby Fred » 19 Wed May, 2010 9:16 pm

Its amazing how something so out in front(Rear) and accessable can be such a pain in the a#% to remove!! :? The alternator is under warranty so I just pulled it and will replace it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help, Fred.
One step forward, Two steps back!!
Fred
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk