Okay guys new question (question about backfiring)

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Okay guys new question (question about backfiring)

Postby GinaJ » 18 Sun Jul, 2010 5:26 pm

I recently had my carbs rebuilt and velocity stacks were added in. Now, whenever I let off the gas, I'm backfiring quite a bit. They're little pops but a lot of them. Mine has always popped some, but quite a bit more now. What causes this? Also, I have chromolly pushrods. Is it supposed to be set at 0 or can there be a slight bit of play in there? Thanks guys
My buggy rocks!!!!!!
GinaJ
Buggy Nut

Re: Okay guys new question (question about backfiring)

Postby GregR » 18 Sun Jul, 2010 5:44 pm

Is it backfiring through the carbs or the exhaust?
In either case, I'd check for an intake or exhaust manifold leak, possible lean carb(s), one carb opening before the other (carbs out of sync), to name a few.

Did you replace gaskets when you replaced the carbs? Make sure everything is tight.

Since it sounds like this has been an on-going problem, just a bit worse, are you valves set to 0? Not a jammed tight zero, but not loose either. That's how mine are set.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby jspbtown » 18 Sun Jul, 2010 7:36 pm

Like GregR said check for exhaust leaks if its out the exhaust. If out the carbs, you might be a little lean due to the new velocity stacks. I assume you removed the aircleaners and just added stacks? That might make you a little lean.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

Postby GinaJ » 18 Sun Jul, 2010 8:55 pm

All the gaskets were changed. The velocity stacks fit inside the aircleaners with the caps on and everything. Actually they look really cool....when you can see em. :) It's not set at 0. It has a tiny bit of play there. it was set dead on 0 really tight before the adjustment. We're not exactly sure where to set chromolly ones. Pretty sure there isn't an exhaust leak. Kinda lost on this one. Oh and sorry but this is a chicks version of what I remember what the husband says. :) Sorry
My buggy rocks!!!!!!
GinaJ
Buggy Nut

Postby blackthree4me » 10 Tue Aug, 2010 12:25 pm

Oh and sorry but this is a chicks version of what I remember what the husband says. Sorry

Chicks version usually right on :D as guys won’t say what’s really wrong 8-) Usually takes few day to get it out of them what really happened :lol:
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk