Duels or Progressive carb?

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Duels or Progressive carb?

Postby TobyG » 13 Fri Aug, 2010 8:21 pm

I’m new to the VW world ,which would be better on my buggy? I want to replace the solex carb for something that is easy to tune and reliable to use.
TobyG
Buggy Builder

Re: Duels or Progressive carb?

Postby Jack Duncan » 13 Fri Aug, 2010 9:44 pm

It helps to know what size engine you have. Mine is a 1915cc and I have dual Weber 44s on it. I love it, and haven't had any trouble. Runs great, but if you are looking for decent milage you must keep your foot out of it. But that's no fun. :D
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 13 Fri Aug, 2010 10:06 pm

progressives aren't particularly easy to tune.
Dual Kads or Webers are.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby TobyG » 14 Sat Aug, 2010 6:11 am

I forgot the important information. It has duel port heads and was told it’s a 1600 but I have not had the heads of to be sure. It has the solex 34 carb and bosh 009 distributor. It also has duel exhaust that I am not ready to change.
TobyG
Buggy Builder

Postby GregR » 14 Sat Aug, 2010 8:02 am

Without knowing what's inside your enging, it's a little tough making recommendations. The fact you're running a stock carb likely means your running a stock 1600 engine. So obviously the most reliable will be a stock Solex pict 33-34 carb. Bill K runs this setup.

For a little more oomph on an engine up to say 1835 or maybe 1915, you can go with dual Kadrons like those available from the likes of AJ Simms (although I would bet several of our sponsors could set you up.) The Kadron setup is made up of 2- brosol-solex, single throat 40mm carbs. I have that setup on my 1776 (with 009) and love it.

You could as easily step up to the dual Weber carbs but they would need to be tuned quite lean for your stock (assumed) engine, as the Webers are quite a large carb and generally work best larger displacement engines (1915 and up.) If you have future plans to rebuild and boost the displacement of you engine to 1915 or above, I would strongly consider the Webers as they can be re-jetted for the larger displacement. I believe that Weber does make a single throat carb similar to the Kads.

Hope that helps, the opinions are my own :D
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 14 Sat Aug, 2010 9:10 am

Greg is close on my setup, but I have found better performance with the Pic 30-31 single carb. It eliminates the hesitation you sometime get with the Pic 34 and 009 combination. For me personally, I can tell little or no difference in power between the 34 and the 30-31.

The one problem I have had is that in cold weather my engine's performance goes to pot. The first year this happened I went crazy working on the carb and ignition. Now, I've sorta come to the conclusion that it's a weather thing. So, this year I'm experimenting to see if I'm right. When the weather turns cold I'm anxious to see if it happens again. If it does, I'll know I'm right. My pre heats have been open so I'm going to try a few other things, and if they don't work I may have to go to a dual carb setup. Ironically, I think I'm the only guy running a single carb setup that has had this problem.

I think Don may also be running the same setup.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 16 Mon Aug, 2010 9:25 am

With my 1600DP, I switched from the intolerable 34P3 to a 2bbl Weber progressive. Been running this for a few months now and I like it a lot. I have had no tuning issues. In fact other then some idling adjusting, it ran right out of the box. Installation can be a bit frustrating. The choke (if you use one) faces the doghouse and is very tight. It might require some thinking to keep it from shorting. And depending on the throttle cable type you use, there is work required to get the linkage adequately lined up to allow smooth action. I used a custom intake that is designed to specifically address this problem, by an added linkage on the intake.

Ken
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk