IRS Type1 Rear Wheel Alignment Question

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

IRS Type1 Rear Wheel Alignment Question

Postby Ken » 23 Tue Nov, 2010 9:15 am

I am helping a friend with his Baja's rear suspension. The torsion preload was wacked and we have replaced all the worn out rubber spring plate grommets with urethane. We've got it all back together and we have made great improvements to his ride, but we still have an alignment issue.

The passenger side wheel has a significant "toe out" issue (front of wheel angled away from car). So how do we make adjustment for this?
Ken
Site Admin

Re: IRS Type1 Rear Wheel Alignment Question

Postby BrianB » 23 Tue Nov, 2010 10:21 am

Drive it to the mall over the holidays and there is sure to be some idiot drive into the side therby straightening the wheel :mrgreen:
Sorry I dont have an answer that makes sense. :(
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 23 Tue Nov, 2010 11:01 am

LOL, Thanks Brian... but what if they tag the back half of the wheel, then it just gets worse.

Putting the rear end back together, we could not see any obvious problem with the trailing arm, but the one on this side of the car was much tighter when assembled, then the drivers side. The bearings, axle and seal all went together, but there was a difference in how tight the axle felt after all done, compared to the other side.

If we had another trailing arm, we would just swap it out and see what difference that would make. Anyone got one in the garage fro the passenger side? Not sure what differences there are, but this car has the double spring plate.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 23 Tue Nov, 2010 2:29 pm

Did I miss the fact that the spring plate / trailing arm bolt holes are slotted?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby BrianB » 23 Tue Nov, 2010 2:42 pm

Can you push that axle forward and then retighten the bolts?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 23 Tue Nov, 2010 4:17 pm

That's what I'm thinking... I will need to pull the bolts to make sure ours are actually slotted.
Is that why these holes are slotted? To give you rear toe in/out adjustment?
I have also found information that the two pivot bolt washer go on the outside of the pivot bolt. We have them on either side, just as we took them off.

Look like I have some things to play with tonight.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Jack Duncan » 24 Wed Nov, 2010 12:41 pm

I just checked mine and I have one washer per side. That's the way they came off and so I put them back the same way. The book show them with one washer per side. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby Texasbuggys » 24 Wed Nov, 2010 1:01 pm

Ken, yes on the slots, your are right on track. Most have the two washers on the out but not all so try the slots first and if not enough adjustment workin on the washer location.
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 24 Wed Nov, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks. Wow, that was easy and obvious. It looks like it made all the difference in the world.
Anyone have a procedure for measuring alignment on a bug? Be nice to see if we are close to true or not.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk