windshield wipers for buggy

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

windshield wipers for buggy

Postby Tappa » 10 Sun Sep, 2017 5:31 am

Should I use a vintage used wiper assembly or order a new kit for adding wipers to my buggy?
I want them to be reliable and not too hard to install. My buggy has flat places in the body for them to mount.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks
Tappa
Buggy Nut

Re: windshield wipers for buggy

Postby Heathwerner » 10 Sun Sep, 2017 9:12 am

Hi and welcome to Texas Manx Club. I think most of the Buggy owners will agree that the wipers are pretty much just for looks. Its not very often that you get caught in the rain and when you do they, mine any way, are not much help. A good coat of Rain-X usually works just as well. But to answer your question, you can usually get a hold of a vintage motor assembly fairly easy and cheaper than a new one and it should fit your buggy. Just make sure its a 12 volt wiper motor, assuming yours is a 12 volt system and not a 6 volt. The wiper blades themselves can also be a little tricky finding a set that fits your size windshield. I found an old set of wiper arms and not even real sure what they came off of, then buy a set of wiper blades, rob the rubber out of them, cut it down then put it in the assembly I purchased. I probably went through more trouble than necessary but I wanted my wipers to lay flat on the bottom or the windshield and there again this was more fore looks than anything because they, mine, are basically useless in the rain. I have also seen some of the buggies with no wipers at all due to the fact that if you run Antique plates there is no inspection and you do not have to have them. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. Anyways, welcome to the club and hope to see you at one of the Buggy rides. The pictures you posted of the buggy you are looking at looks like its gonna be a good deal. Good Luck!
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby johber41 » 10 Sun Sep, 2017 11:03 pm

The Texas Traffic Code is weird about wipers. I believe that a windshield is not mandatory but wipers are! Go figure
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 11 Mon Sep, 2017 2:26 pm

I think the hand-operated will pass inspection.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Tappa » 13 Wed Sep, 2017 4:59 am

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to get antique plates so maybe I won't need to install wipers. I'm sure they wouldn't do much good in a hard rain.
I use a product made by TOPCOAT called F-11 which is a sealer and polish. I use it on the entire car from interior to exterior, glass and even tires.
It is the best thing I've found and easy to use. I use it on my boat, camper, cars, kitchen appliances and even scratched CDs. It is an amazing product.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in the near future.
Thanks for taking time to answer my question.

Tappa
Tappa
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk