Crankcase venting

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Crankcase venting

Postby Glenn Y » 07 Mon Jan, 2019 11:50 am

Hi, I’m new to the club and forum and seeking some advise... I’m pulling my original 1200/40 hp to replace with a 1776. Planning on installing a crankcase filter box, and running a hose from the oil filler neck to the filter box, then from the filter box to the dual carb intake filters. If I install a sand seal, I understand I would need another place for engine case air intake, like a vented valve cover. So what I’m wondering is would this port also run to the same crank oil filter box, or would it need a separate filter installed for the valve cover vent/intake ? It just seems strange to me to basically run the “intake” and “exhaust” to the same box. Am I overthinking this ? Thanks for any advise....
Glenn Y
Buggy Builder

Re: Crankcase venting

Postby Ken » 07 Mon Jan, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi Glenn and welcome to the group. We look forward to meeting you at the Blast.

Regarding your question, is this (or something similar) what you are talking about? If yes, these are ran from the valve covers and oil filler tube to the breather box. No need to connect to carb filter.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Heathwerner » 07 Mon Jan, 2019 11:05 pm

Sorry Glen but I dont know anything about this setup but I do believe Ken has this set up on his rail so maybe he can give you some insight. I did some reading up on it but got conflicting stories. The majority of what I read said do not vent to your carbs but to its own filter. Maybe you can check out this subject on the Samba and get idea of how you want to run yours.

Are you keeping your tranny or getting a new one with your 1776? If you are keeping your old one, which you may already know, you will have to grind out the inner edge of the bell housing to fit the flywheel.
Also if you install a sand seal you will need a spacer for your crank pulley and alternator pulley along with a longer crank pulley bolt. There again you probably already know this but I know what its like find out these things after the fact. Good luck with your engine swap.

Heath
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Heathwerner » 07 Mon Jan, 2019 11:07 pm

Speak of the Devil. He posted as I was typing.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby johber41 » 08 Tue Jan, 2019 1:26 am

What are you going to do with your 1200? You in the Houston area?

John
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 08 Tue Jan, 2019 9:59 am

Heathwerner wrote:Speak of the Devil.

Hey, I resemble that remark!
johber41 wrote:You in the Houston area?John

Glenn said he was in the fine and beautiful state of Oklahoma.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Glenn Y » 08 Tue Jan, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks for the replies...

We’ve got our room booked at the Pine Creek Inn and are really looking forward to the buggy event.

Heath as you said I have read a lot on the subject and get conflicting information, just when I think I have it figured out I read some more and end up confusing myself. ( easy to do for me ) :D
I actually found a 6 volt flywheel that takes a 200 mm clutch, it’s all bolted up to the new motor, planning on keeping the 6 volt starter running it on 12 volts, that’s how it is now and seems to work good. Thanks for the advise and heads up, i haven’t bought the sand seal yet, just seems like it would be a good idea to me.

Ken I’ve looked at probably all the types of “filter boxes” that one can purchase. The one you showed is the most economical one I saw. I haven’t decided on one yet, mainly because I haven’t got it strait in my head how it should work. I was reading a tech artical by Bob Hover, and seemed to say what I was thinking, that the valve cover would become the air inlet for the block. But, If the venting really doesn’t need to be ( or shouldn’t be ) ran to the carbs, it would make sense as you stated just run the three hoses to the box and call it good.

Hi John, as Ken said I’m from Oklahoma. I’m planning on keeping the 1200, it’s the original to my pan, and I figure you never know... Also considering it’s age it still runs really well (it’s just worn and doesn’t like to keep up on the highways) and I won’t trust this new rebuild engine for while, at least until get some miles on it, so I’m thinking it’ll be good to have a spare.
Glenn Y
Buggy Builder

Postby Ken » 08 Tue Jan, 2019 9:44 pm

Glenn Y wrote:If the venting really doesn’t need to be ( or shouldn’t be ) ran to the carbs

venting the case from the filler tube to the carb filter housing is the stock setup. Using a "breather box" omits the need for the carb filter housing connection, because you're using the box. Most people I've seen with breather boxes are using them specifically to prevent using the carb air filter. Some engines like to through oil through the filler tube vent all the way to the carb port. Sometimes to the point of performance issues because of the amount of oil buildup. The typical breather box setup, from the valve covers to box and from the filler tube to box, usually balances pressures between case sides sufficiently. All the other people I've asked install them because they look cool. And I agree they do.

what's your reason for venting? does engine leak? what weight oil you running?

Here is an example of a stock venting system.

Glenn Y wrote:as Ken said I’m from Oklahoma.

Actually what I said was "the fine and beautiful state of Oklahoma". :D
Some of the nicest, most friendly and most handsome people yall know are from Oklahoma. :D
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Heathwerner » 08 Tue Jan, 2019 10:49 pm

I didn't know Dave was from Oklahoma!
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Heathwerner » 08 Tue Jan, 2019 10:52 pm

Glen, it sounds like you have the filter figured out or at least plenty of information. As far as the sand seal, it would hurt. Do you run your buggy in sand or off road a lot?
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby johber41 » 11 Fri Jan, 2019 11:55 pm

Hey Glenn...don't blame you for holding on to the 40 horse 1200. They are pretty simple but sometimes they do not seem to have guts. I have enjoyed mine but I do respect the greater power of the standard 1600. I am still running 6 volts but I am quickly learning to appreciate the dependability of a alternator compared to a generator. Good luck with your project ...hope to meet you someday at a buggy event. We have some of the best people I have had the pleasure to meet and know in this Texas Manx Club. I'm sure you would fit in. This club takes this buggy hobby to the next level. This club has raised the level of participation from "club member" to "family member".
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Heathwerner » 17 Thu Jan, 2019 10:45 pm

Hey Glenn, hows it going? Any progress on your project?
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Glenn Y » 22 Tue Jan, 2019 2:47 pm

Hey, going Good, just slow, I’ve got the old engine pulled, and the new about ready to go in. I’m just pausing a bit and giving some thought about going ahead and pulling the trans, while I’m this far in. It has some leaks and grinds going into second occasionally. There’s a good bug shop near by, I think I’ll call and see what a rebuild on it would cost. Depending on the cost, it might have to wait till next winter, to get rebuilt.
Glenn Y
Buggy Builder

Postby Heathwerner » 23 Wed Jan, 2019 6:38 pm

Good deal. Sometimes you gotta do just that, step back and think about it for a minute. Good luck!

Heath
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Heathwerner » 01 Mon Apr, 2019 9:18 pm

Hows it going Glenn? Havent heard from you in awhile.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Bryan Porter » 08 Mon Apr, 2019 10:59 am

Like Ken said both valve covers in the filler tube and you're all set
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Glenn Y » 22 Mon Apr, 2019 9:56 am

Thanks Everyone for the reply’s...
It’s taken me all winter BUT new engine is in and running, also replaced all transaxle seals (still have one small drip :roll: ) new rear brakes, new nose cone, new shifter bushing, new mounts, new clutch, New clutch and accelerator cables, restored the pedal assembly, added halo head lights to use as DRL’s, found and installed some 14” front wheels that fit over the disk brakes and match the 15” rear wheels. Oh and I had to add LED’s under the car ( After seeing them on Heath’s car, I had to have some !!) I also added two new fuse blocks one for ignition switched and one for constant hot.

Hoping for a test drive soon, the hood and windshield are still off. Adding some relays to the wiring.

Question ?? What all would y’all recommend running relays to ? So far I’ve added them to the bright and dim headlights and the horn. For a simple car, there’s already a mountain wiring under the dash, running out of places to zip tie to :lol:
Glenn Y
Buggy Builder

Postby Bryan Porter » 22 Mon Apr, 2019 12:11 pm

Electric feel pump and horn are the only things that need relays. Look at a Volkswagen beetle wiring Diagram anything that you need to Use relay on Will be on there
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Glenn Y » 22 Mon Apr, 2019 7:59 pm

OK, got everything back together, took a test drive, good news motor ran great... bad news apparently blue LED lights are illegal in Oklahoma. according to the OHP that pulled me over :cry: luckally I can change the color with the push of a button. He let me go and said BUT I like your car !!!
Glenn Y
Buggy Builder

Postby Heathwerner » 22 Mon Apr, 2019 9:52 pm

Sounds great Glenn. Glad everything worked out for you on your build. Cant wait to see it at the Blast. You are going to fit in with all these Texas Dune Buggy Rebels just perfect if you have already had a run in with the Police.
PS- You could give us a sneak peak of your Buggy and post some pics.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk