LowerIng Front End

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

LowerIng Front End

Postby Heathwerner » 04 Fri Oct, 2019 4:36 pm

As yall see I have a new project. It has an adjustable front beam and I was thinking about going with the lowered look. It also has a King/Link pin front end. right now it is sitting on the bump stops which is a rough ride and not good for the front end. Does anyone know a good route to go with this set up as far as:
- Can I cut off the bump stops?
- If so, what shocks should I go with and will they be ok without the bump stops?
- What wheels should I go with?
- It has the 5 lug original drums, do they make nice set of wheels for these? Skinny in the front wide in the back.

I am open for any ideas or suggestions!
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Re: LowerIng Front End

Postby Ken » 09 Wed Oct, 2019 9:38 am

Heathwerner wrote:- It has the 5 lug original drums

Is there any problems with the drum brakes functioning?
Is there a working e-brake?
Sorry I don't know garbage about the front-end questions.
My Manx also has an adjustable F/E and something has happening with it, so I'm eager to hear some responses. By the end of the Blast last year I was riding on the bump stops. It was a very rough ride by the last drive. I still haven't investigated, but for the Roundup I installed a set of coil overs and tightened the springs to max. It rides great now, but I do want to figure out and repair whatever has happened to the F/E.

I'm sure you can find wheels, but gotta be something that covers the brake drum. Stock 5 lug wheels had a hub cap I think.
Something like this does the trick, but depends on the look you're going for.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Heathwerner » 09 Wed Oct, 2019 8:34 pm

Thanks for the input Ken.
The drum brakes seem to be working fine. I have the front end tore completely apart right now, WOW what a job! I see some new brake parts in there.
It actually has a line lock for the e-brake.
I am learning a lot about front ends at this time. Im learning I will never rebuild another one. There are so many different front ends and option when building one. I am going with bearings in the front beam instead of all the bushing options. As far as what might have happened to yours it could be that your adjusters moved on one of your beams or both. There again there are so many different ways to set up a front end its hard to say. Some say your shocks should be fluid filled and not gas and they should dampen up and down but not be pressurized where they push up that your adjustment on your beam should determine your ride height. Some say they even run with no shocks on the front. Welcome to my world of confusion and decisions.
I like the Craiger look of these wide 5 lug wheels. What web site did you find these on?
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 10 Thu Oct, 2019 9:47 am

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 10 Thu Oct, 2019 9:51 am

Heathwerner wrote:As far as what might have happened to yours it could be that your adjusters moved on one of your beams or both

Yes, this is what Porter had told me to check and still haven't.

Took it out to burn some fuel through it last night and she is running great, but yeah that front end gets very loose after about 50 mph. I thought it kind of fun on a couple of our windy back roads around here, until Delia reminded me that it wasn't at all fun. LOL
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Heathwerner » 16 Wed Oct, 2019 10:04 pm

20191012_111512.jpg
20191012_111512.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 6308 times
20191012_111503.jpg
20191012_111503.jpg (62.4 KiB) Viewed 6308 times
Well started rebuilding front end due to broken link pin and worn out bushings. Figured I would tackle this myself and now I wish I would have taken it to someone. I have learned a lot none the less. When doing the king pins you will need a reamer that cost about $130 not counting shipping. I chose to take mine to a machine shop for $50. Then the arm bushings going into the beam where shot. some one had used the red poly bushings that had just feel apart, never use these. Then found the original bakalite bushings where still in the beam but worn out. There are two, inner and outer per tube for a total of eight. Getting them out was not easy. I had to fabricate a too from a slide hammer dent puller. Then trying to decide what bushings to go back with, and there are several different that will also require a reamer, I found needle bearings. Im thinking this is the way to go. Well I got them in today and low and behold, they are to big by 2mm. Now doing more research there are different sizes, 46mm and 44mm and supposedly diferent sizes of the 44mm plus or minus. I cannot find the bearings for mine which are about 44.6mm. Still working on what direction to go from here. So I decided to go ahead and put my king pins together after getting them back from the machine shop. I drove the new king pins in and now I have one that is way to tight and cant get it out. So today I decided to give it a brake and regroup. Sometimes you have to do that as not to get to frustrated. Will get back on it tomorrow. This is what progress looks like. Well this is what being stuck with a tore apart front end looks like.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Heathwerner » 21 Mon Oct, 2019 10:33 pm

Ok thats it, stick a fork in me Im done. Today I tried to get one my king pin assembly's apart after putting it together it would not swivel. The pin would not come out. I beat it like a New York Yankee till I broke my 3 lb hammer and ruined the piece.

So I ordered a whole new beam assembly with link pins and all from Mofoco this evening.

I have learned that my skills will not extend to rebuilding front ends!
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby staggerwing » 26 Sat Oct, 2019 8:18 am

Way to get in there, learn a lot, and get er done though, sir. In short order, you’ll be the “go to guy” on LP front ends! Good job!

I’d tell you what I did With the yellow buggy, but it would be going in a totally different direction than where you are going (almost), as I’m a ball joint front ender.

Hang in there!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Heathwerner » 05 Tue Nov, 2019 6:59 pm

I got the rebuilt beam from Mofoco a few days ago and got it installed. I hated to give up on rebuilding the one on the buggy but at this point it was worth it. Hopefully I can offset the cost of the new beam by selling the the old beam and its components in separate pieces. Now I can move on to other things.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Return to Technical Talk