drilling holes in a perfectly good body?

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

drilling holes in a perfectly good body?

Postby garthom » 26 Wed Jul, 2006 2:40 pm

Crunch time! Where do I drill hole for main wiring harness? I am running wiring harness down driver's side & am not sure where to drill hole for wiring up front. I will eventually be using side pods & don't want wiring in the way. Also is there any special place to drill wiring holes for headlights,turn signals, brake light swithces. :?: :?:
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
garthom
Buggy Builder

Postby Bill K » 26 Wed Jul, 2006 11:36 pm

I ran my harness from the back underneath the car on the passenger side. I came up through a pre-existing hole in the front chassis in front of the firewall. I used a rubber grommet in that hole, ran the harness up the firewall as far as I could , drilled a hole in the firewall and came into the car there. Again with a rubber grommet in that hole. The front light wiring, etc, I routed to the same hole in the firewall and into the car.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 27 Thu Jul, 2006 8:23 am

Garthom,
I think the biggest question is, what do you have for conduit from front to back? If so, how far to the front and how far back does it run? You'll want to be able to seal the front at least.
Next, I drilled my harness access about halfway between the firewall and back of the dash. I don't think that'll cause issue with sidepods.
As far as headlights and turn signals, I drilled as far forward as I could without interfering with the side of the hood. Drilled alongside the fuel tank. I use 14 ga 3 wire outdoor extension cord for the headlights (all neat in a weatherproof container :D )
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby carlos del carpio » 27 Thu Jul, 2006 9:48 am

You have several choices..

you can run the wires in the interior or the exterior...

you can run the wires and support (bolt/screw) them with no protection...

you can 'glass the wires to the body,

You can protect the wires with a conduit, rigid or flexible..you can bolt/screw the conduit, or even 'glass it in, with resin...

IF you have a tube chassis, you can run the wires within, and 'pop' them out at the designated area.. (like I'm doing)
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk