Hydraulic Pedal Assembly

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Hydraulic Pedal Assembly

Postby Ken » 12 Tue Sep, 2006 5:35 pm

Ok, I need to upgrade the peddle systems on my rail. I have made some basic searches here and google, but need some eductating before I can figure what I should be looking for.

Can anyone point me to a couple manufactures websites that I can start understanding the options and what I should or should not be looking at?

All comments are greatly appreciated. Bare with me please I am new to this.

Thanks,
BDD
Last edited by Ken on 12 Tue Sep, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby David O' » 12 Tue Sep, 2006 5:55 pm

First of all, what do you mean by upgrade the pedels? Are you wanting to replace them or repair them or what?
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 12 Tue Sep, 2006 8:36 pm

I think he's considering a hydraulic pedal set, if I heard correctly last Saturday. That way he can adjust them more readily for his height.....
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Replace with Hydraulic Pedal Assembly

Postby Ken » 12 Tue Sep, 2006 8:50 pm

Replace.

I am thinking something like this: http://www.mooreparts.com/mm5/merchant. ... de=CNCHYD2

Are there brands to avoid? Brands that standout? Are there online stores that you guys have found most useful for parts, for pricing or service?

I expect I need to "size up" the new assembly for my buggy? Is this what is meant in the CnC description by 4 wheel? (The number of wheels with brakes?).

I am sure these are ignorant questions, but I appreciate any assistance.

BDD
Ken
Site Admin

Postby David O' » 12 Tue Sep, 2006 9:35 pm

Hey EMPI has the same thing, on page 248, and I'm a WD for them. If you would like a catalog, I'll send you one! My price to you would be $265.00 including the clutch slave cylinder ( pg. 250)! They come 4 different ways.
You can e-mail me at david@aircooledparts.com , if you are interested!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby blackthree4me » 12 Tue Sep, 2006 9:45 pm

$300 yikes
you would have the nicest set in the club thats for sure
Im fixin to ruin your bank acount
welcome to the samba
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=310338
if you need vw parts new or used check here first
always check shipping some times its kinda high
most folks are trustworthy but you never know on the net
hydraulics are the way to go
most come with as an option a mounted slider that will move the
whole assembly about 6/8" forward or backwards
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies and thanks for thesamba link. I will do some searching there as well. I found others under $300, but just used that link to illustrate what I thought I looking for.

So, back to my request for some education on this subject. What am I looking for??? This buggy has 4 wheel drum brakes. Can someone give me a simple brake down of the parts I need for this installation? Again sorry for the ignorance here, but ...

I can assume for total upgrade, I need a 4 wheel brake/clutch pedal system with slave cylinder, a clutch hose?, and a new throttle cable? and for extra adjustability an assembly slider? Am I kinda on the right track? Missing something?

Anyone got pictures of these setups somewhere? Especially with the slide plate?

Thanks BDD
Ken
Site Admin

Postby blackthree4me » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 9:49 am

I would think if you go the slider rout
you will need a hydraulic accelerator cable as well
FYI
on VWs all the linkage is set acording to the pedals
then the slack drawn from the lines at least for the clutch and accelerator
by going hydaulic the line can be any length and adjusted in seconds
unless you are 6 1
and wife is 5 2
you might just want to set the pedals where you like them and mount them then use a stock accelerator cable
use this link to do a search on adjustable pedals
if you dont find anything ask away
http://www.dune-buggy.com/buggytalk/index.cgi?index
found this as well
http://www.dune-buggy.com/buggytalk/ind ... ead=234390
blackthree4me
if it aint broke, break it then fix it
blackthree4me
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 10:05 am

blackthree4me wrote:unless you are 6 1
and wife is 5 2

You are so close ... 6'1" and 5'0"...

Adjustability is important here. I will check out the suggested links. I'll be back, as I am sure there will be questions...

Maybe I should just keep her out of the driver seat huh??

Thanks, BDD
Ken
Site Admin

Postby mkparker » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 10:24 am

Seems like it may be a better idea to make the seat adjustable instead of the pedals...if that's possible. Should be much cheaper too.

Slider Page
mkparker
Buggy Driver

Postby Ken » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 11:09 am

mkparker wrote:Seems like it may be a better idea to make the seat adjustable instead of the pedals...if that's possible. Should be much cheaper too.

Thanks MKP,
Seat is mounted in far back position, I need to increase seat to pedal distance. I will need to move the pedal assembly forward. I could do this with the current assembly and add a seat slider. This would be the cheapest route I suppose, but this will require new/modifying clutch and throttle cable. It just started looking like a good opportunity to upgrade the whole thing.

But you make a good point. Maybe new hydraulic pedal assembly and seat slider is the way to go. Takes care of the throttle cable question.

Thanks, BDD
Ken
Site Admin

Postby David Head » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 11:42 am

Ken, The first time I let Edie drive the buggy, I had to build her one of her own. You are bette off not letting Delia Drive. :lol:

I think that you would really like the Hydralic set up. If It were me, That's what I would do. I prefer the CNC pedals assembly. I would get the set up for hydralic brake and hydralic clutch with a slave valve. I would still use a cable for the throttle. Mount the pedal assemble on a slider and you can also get a adjustable throttle cable. I will search for some pics on the net. David
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 11:59 am

ok, so why is the accelerator a wheel? It looks cool, but I assume there is some technical reasoning? :?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby David Head » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 12:00 pm

Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 12:01 pm

Here is a link to the pedals I used on Edie's buggy.
http://www.funrunr.com/cnc.htm
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby GregR » 13 Wed Sep, 2006 12:53 pm

the pedal is a wheel or "roller" peda. It lets you keep your foot on the accelerator better (to some) that a flat pedal. Especially true for off-roading. I have one on my street buggy and really like it.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 16 Sat Sep, 2006 8:36 pm

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestion. I have gone with a Neal Pedal Kit with a fast track slider and cable throttle. I called Neal Brakes just looking for information and spent over an hour on the phone with Mr Bill Neal himself. Heck of a nice guy and really helped me understand a few things that I was unclear on this subject.

Should see the parts in a few days and then the real fun starts. Sure will be nice to get my legs under the steering wheel.

David O, thanks for the time on the phone the other day. Sorry I used you time without a sell, but I am sure there will be plenty of other opportunities in the future. I don't know if I got the best deal around, but compared to other systems I found online, I think I did ok.

Thanks again and if anyone is interested, maybe I will share a few photos of the upgrade?

BDD
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk