get stroked?

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

get stroked?

Postby buggyryan » 31 Tue Oct, 2006 6:18 pm

hey guys i was wanting to pick y'alls brains for a minute . i am getting my motor stuff back this week from swain tech, and the bug was put in my ear that maybe i should build a stroker motor instead of my 1776. does anyone no what size crank i could use before i have to cut the case. and is it a noticable difference going with the stroker set up?
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby David O' » 31 Tue Oct, 2006 8:15 pm

The case cutting depends upon the type of rods you have, remember that the first thing you have to have cut is the cam shaft and cam saddles. You would then have to add shims to the heads, for compression reasons, or hemi cut the heads. There are a lot of things to consider when you start to stroke a motor.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby buggyryan » 01 Wed Nov, 2006 10:16 am

oh wow then i guess that is out i was thinking all i needed to machine was the case in number 3 to clear the bigger cranks. if i have to mess with the cams and stuff then it willl proly not be worth it, darn it. i was thinking it would kinda be like a drop in type thing.
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby madmike » 10 Sun Dec, 2006 10:46 am

It's not that hard to build a stroker,I just joined this site,or I would have replyed sooner :lol: I built a 2332 this summer and I didn't need to touch the cam,I used short Porsche rods,84mm welded crank,swap meet buy,The mockup was the bitch because I have no patiencs,but I took my time(6months) no $$$, :shock: You can do it with a Dremal,Theres pix on cutting the case at wwwshoptalkforums.com since I used the short rods I only had to add a small shim under the cyl.I got used Hi-po Heads were talkin 33cc Hogged out welded triple spring 42x37.5 Cr came out to 14:1 :shock: so I'm running a 60" copper head gasket now I can run pump gas,Man the power of this thing is AWESOME,Its in a heavy older Bandit,takes off in 3rd and goes to a 100 with out shifting"torque Monster" I like it !! Just picked up a SandShark tub thats in better shape, gonna swap everything this winter.Don't be scared of taking on a stroker alot of great guys out here to help with your build(they did me good)later MadMike
madmike
Buggy Builder

Postby David O' » 10 Sun Dec, 2006 1:08 pm

14 to 1 compression? You must live up north, down here, that would melt stuff....and the price of gasoline to run that on would put you in the poor house.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby madmike » 10 Sun Dec, 2006 9:19 pm

Yepper,Way up north cold temps big jets :lol: I lowerd the Cr to 9.5: 1, I still run a mix of race gas and premium to be safe,this is not a Daily driver,I'll try and post some pix tomorrow,later Madmike
madmike
Buggy Builder

holy cow

Postby buggyryan » 11 Mon Dec, 2006 9:30 am

well that would kill it for me if i have to go out to the race track to pick up fuel just to mix it? heck if i can get around 100 hp out of my little motor and my body couldnt weigh more than a 1000 pounds , sheesh i am sure it will scare me to death so quick, thenhave a turn key stroker built by someone else let someone else worry about the clearences. if it will pull the wheels off the ground like i am being told it will i will be laughing like a little school girl.
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby madmike » 11 Mon Dec, 2006 7:07 pm

Funny you shuld say that,I gave a buddy a ride and when I hit 2nd gear he was screaming like a girl,said it was like riding a roller coaster :lol: I choose to run better fuel I got a few $$$ tied up in this thing,as for you'all can run big valve stock type heads on regular gas,and a 74mm will drop right in in most cases,Later mike
madmike
Buggy Builder

Postby buggyryan » 12 Tue Dec, 2006 6:35 pm

a 74mm will drop in with no mods? can i use my rods from the 69 crank i am gonna use? no case mods or head shimming? thats why i was thinking i would buy one pre-built from a good supplier, for warranty purposes. i was told this little motor i am building should scare me good enough. i am kinda hoping it will since i have a v-8 jeep with enough motor for most so i would like a little excitement running the race track
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby madmike » 13 Wed Dec, 2006 10:47 am

I said should drop right in,You can use those rods,hang them on the crank stick it in the case half and rotate slowly,see if it touchs anything,Thats all ther is to cleanceing for a stroker( It's not rocket science) :lol: If it hits something file it for 0.40" (feeler gage will work) do it right and the stroker will smoke your V8 Jeep :shock: depnding on the carbs you run,Always remember a engine is a air pump,The better it moves the air in&out the better it will run,basicly,As for shimming,I check all motors for deck height,install the piston and cyl.and see how much sticks out of the cyl. if any?then get back to me so we can come up with a good CR for you and u won't need race fuel :lol: later mike
madmike
Buggy Builder

Postby buggyryan » 13 Wed Dec, 2006 5:01 pm

thanks mike i have a good source fro the race gas outside of the track so i am gonna proly use it anyways for the pereformance and i have been told it will help motor to run cooler anyeya susing the hi octane gas. it will proly have to wait till the new year though so i can play santa claus with that extra money. thanks for the good advice though. ill be in touch
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby madmike » 15 Fri Dec, 2006 11:02 am

Hey Ryan,Race fuel is fine "if" you have a higher CR if not it hurts HP,Have a good Xmas,and will get the motor done later 8-)
madmike
Buggy Builder

Postby buggyryan » 15 Fri Dec, 2006 11:14 am

thanks again mike, one of the guys that is going to be helping assemble the motor was the one that told me i should run the 'race gas' or at least the better premium gas so it would keep the engine cooler. he is on older porsche tech so i figured he would know what he was talking about, heck who knows. i know my jeep runs like a scalded dog with some of the lower grade race gas from the track. but yea thanks agin for the advice and constructive comments. this is my first rodeo with a vw or a 4 cylinder, all my experience is with v8's and bmw's. i am sure it will run like crazy
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby madmike » 18 Mon Dec, 2006 2:23 pm

Hey Ryan,Thanks,Here's a little tid bit I like telling the V8 guys " I'm running 1169 cfm carbs on a little (4 banger20+mpg) vw, back in the day I had a 396ci that only ran a 780cfm 3mile to the gal. glug glug, :lol: and I know my Buggy would have smoked the the V8 nowdaze :twisted: Later Mike
madmike
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk