009 vs SVDA

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

009 vs SVDA

Postby iwantabuggy » 06 Mon Nov, 2006 5:58 pm

Here's another question. If you run dual carbs, what distributor do you run, the stock SVDA or a Bosch 009? Do you like one over the other? Is one better than the other? Do they effect mileage and cooling at all?
iwantabuggy

Postby David O' » 06 Mon Nov, 2006 7:31 pm

You can't run dual carbs with the vac. distributor, if the timing is right, heat wil not be caused by the distributor.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby iwantabuggy » 07 Tue Nov, 2006 12:13 pm

What about the 009 flat spot I've read about. Something about the 009 has all of its advance right off the top and that there's no inbetween. Whereas the SVDA distributor gradually increases the advance. What do most folks do? Do most run an 009? Is there this flat spot I read about? There's another site that sells dual carbs that talks about tapping them for the SVDA distrubutor. Does that work? Just trying to understand.
iwantabuggy

Postby David O' » 07 Tue Nov, 2006 1:00 pm

Ok, I'm only going to post this one time, due to the fact that I'm not out to start a war, of sorts.
The people who have the flat spots with the 009 distributors, DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The "experts" stick to numbers (on the timing) and they will not move them off of that number no matter what. It is a generally held belief that if the timing is off by 2 to 3 degrees, OMG, the engine is going to blow up and ruin everything.
This is not so..........if it was, the recomended points adjustment would be each week!
You do need to understand, if you lug the engine when starting off, then the advance of the 009 goes into retard real bad, and the engine will stumble.
We now live in a society where the cars compensate for bad driving habits, to the point that the people who can't drive worth a pshaw, can get into a new car and do pretty well. Volkswagens are not of that type.
The most over done advice is
1. you always get stumbles with 009's.............pshaw!
2 Compression is your friend..........................loads of pshaw!
3 The bigger engine is needed to get on the highway.....pshaw!
4 You can't get good milage with 009's.................real pshaw!
I'm not one who knows everything, but I've been working on these cars longer than most of the "experts" have been alive!!!
I have a 1968 beetle (which needs work....my wife restyled it for me) that will run 95 mph on the highway, get over 38 miles to the gallon, doing that, been clocked pulling a trailer at 85 mph..................and the engine is a single port 1600cc with 009, and stock exhaust and cam.
Oh I'm sorry......the "experts" say that can't be done!
I might add that I've driven my beetle at times more than 700 miles per weekend, to as much as 1000 miles per weekend, I only carry a spare fanbelt, wrench, and screwdriver. It has a compufire in the 009 and I've quit carrying even points.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 07 Tue Nov, 2006 3:18 pm

Ok, I've probably gotten a litle harsh about 009's, this particular topic is really over discussed on other forums, to the point that the forums get tied up with it and the answer is never resolved. Everyone is intitled to their view, and this forum is meant to help out. If I've offended anyone, then I say I'm sorry for that.
That said, please do not take my post personally, we are here to help. I got my leash out and put it around my neck......so I'll see if I can keep myself in check.
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby Frontloader » 07 Tue Nov, 2006 11:00 pm

DavidO'

Good to hear the other side of the story. I read so much engine info that I soon don't know what to believe.

I had a '68 back in '68 and loved it. Wish I had kept it now. But don't ask me anything about it as time has erased everything I knew about it back then.
Frontloader
Buggy Driver

Postby buggyryan » 09 Thu Nov, 2006 6:26 pm

thats what i love about david o he cuts stright thru the bullsky and doesnt candy coat it. keep it up dave we all need it
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Postby SeanS » 28 Tue Nov, 2006 7:11 pm

darn right, I had a 66 with a 1600, monza exhoust (I can't spell) I would 80 all day. I loved my 009. I use one on my 1915 with dual.
who ever said "you can do anything you put your mind to" where full of poop.
SeanS
Buggy Builder

Return to Technical Talk