Ideas on best parts to use

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

Ideas on best parts to use

Postby mufasa » 29 Mon Jan, 2007 12:28 pm

I need to pick your brains. I have a 1600 dp that I will be putting in my buggy project and I want to build a little more HP. I want to keep the reliablity. I think I would prefer a single carb. What do you think would be my best bet for performance. :D Thanks Mufasa
Mufasa Proud to be a Viet Nam Veteran.
mufasa
Buggy Builder

Postby David O' » 29 Mon Jan, 2007 1:02 pm

Are you going to rebuild the engine or are you wanting to just try to get more out of it in the 1600cc size?
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby mufasa » 29 Mon Jan, 2007 1:34 pm

I am using an stock 1600 dp. For now I just want to get it on the road. I may later over haul it.
mufasa
Buggy Builder

Postby David O' » 29 Mon Jan, 2007 2:36 pm

Then I would stay with the stock carburetor, that way when you deside what you want to build, you can get the right parts for the job instead of trying to make a comprimise work, I hope this helps!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby mufasa » 29 Mon Jan, 2007 9:06 pm

Some of the articles that I have been reading say to use a two barrel carb and a header and also a power pulley. for cheap bolt on power. What are your thoughts on that? :shock:
mufasa
Buggy Builder

Postby David O' » 29 Mon Jan, 2007 10:12 pm

Power pully is a big NO, it works by slowing the fan speed down, which lowers the cooling capacity of the engine. Since these engines run 125 degrees hoter than water cooled engines, the summer heat will do a lot of damage to the motor!
Two barrel carb and header is ok to a point, but the single carburetor, will limit the size you build at a later date!
David O'
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk