Roundup Wrap Up

Discussion for the upcoming Buggy RoundUp VI Sept. 1 and 2, 2012

Moderator: Bill K

Roundup Wrap Up

Postby Bill K » 03 Mon Sep, 2012 10:15 pm

Linda and I made it home safe and sound and I hope each and every one of you did also.

As always, it was a pure pleasure to be around all you wonderful people.

I know I've worn this quote out, but once again I can't help myself: "It's not the machines themselves, but the relationships they create that give them their true value". Charles Lindbergh
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Re: Roundup Wrap Up

Postby Faron » 03 Mon Sep, 2012 10:47 pm

So what was the final count?
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 03 Mon Sep, 2012 11:59 pm

21 in the Parade, 21 at the Show & Tell, and 19 on the Cruise. This represents a recount from the previous numbers. We ended up with 21 at the Show & Tell instead of the 19 originally posted.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 04 Tue Sep, 2012 12:51 am

WOW, Thats is awesome. I really wish I could have been there with you guys. But as the saying goes, it was just not in the card for me. I sure hope I will be there next year.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 04 Tue Sep, 2012 7:29 am

We had a great time. Y'all are all our best friends. We can't wait to see you all again.

I clocked a total of 377 miles on the buggy for the weekend, home to home.

Not as impressive as Georganne, for sure, but half of my 377 was WITHOUT a fuel pump!
Fuel pump went south on Crazy Alice as we were heading to Betty's house.
After consulting with the Kerrville local auto parts expert "Loyd". (by far the strangest breakdown I have ever encountered)

Herb Fish calculated that based on the delta of my fuel tank to carburetors positions, and considering at the local elevation the atmospheric pressure, giving that I had just recently replaced my fuel filter, and if I kept my fuel level at or above a level of 7/15th full, I should be able to maintain up to a maximum rpm level of 2450, which given our currently location, would allow us to arrive at Betty's within 23.45 minutes. Of course he calculated time for stopping and topping off the tank. Way to go Herb. 70 miles home and she has not missed a beat. I plan to run her dry, watching for any complication from fuel level. If there are none, I will not be replacing the fuel pump. I'll keep you all posted.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Bill K » 04 Tue Sep, 2012 11:54 am

MEYER B&B RESERVATION NOTICE:I want to be sure all of you who reserved your room for next year, or who are contemplating reserving a room at the Meyer B&B for next year's Roundup, know that Shane has instituted a new Reservation Policy for Holiday Weekends.

Here is what it is:
Once you reserve a room, and then cancel at any time after you've made the reservation, you will be charged 25% of you total room tab.

If you cancel in 30 days or less you will be charged 100% of your total room tab.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to give me a call: 281-238-0577
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby starrfisherman » 04 Tue Sep, 2012 11:56 am

It was not really my Engineering experence, it my time with old Ford Model A's and 8N Tractors.
Had a great time.
Herb
starrfisherman
Buggy Driver

Postby Bill K » 04 Tue Sep, 2012 12:20 pm

MEYER B&B RESERVATIONS
I know the new reservation policy at the Meyer B&B will prevent many of you staying at the Meyer for next year's Roundup. While there has never been an OFFICIAL place to stay for the Roundup, it has evolved that a good number of us stayed there because of the ambiance and opportunity for group camaraderie it afforded us.

So again, there will not be on OFFICIAL place to stay for next year's Roundup, but I will be exploring some other options for next year. I also welcome any suggestions any of you may have.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 04 Tue Sep, 2012 5:38 pm

Anne and I canceled our Reservation because of the charges.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 04 Tue Sep, 2012 5:58 pm

We also cancelled our reservation yesterday for next year.

The Meyer is not the only place to stay in the hill country. I am sure we can find something else, maybe something better that is more accomodating to our needs and couples with children. In the past several folks have not stayed at the Meyer because of the additional $20.00 or so per child per night fees. Just my two cents...

Gloria
Last edited by yoboy on 05 Wed Sep, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 04 Tue Sep, 2012 7:22 pm

I visited with Shane a good bit this morning about the new policy, but to no avail as far as changing it goes.

However, for those who did make a reservation and have not yet canceled, for a period of time Shane will not make you pay the 25% penalty for canceling. He also told me he would call those with reservations before he charged the penalty. He's not interested in making money on penalties, it's just a policy he has decided to put in place. I've cancelled mine because too much can happen in a year that could prevent me from being able to go.

So, I'm not telling you what to do, but if you have any doubts about staying there next year, I would suggest you cancel quickly to avoid the 25%cancellation penalty.

As Gloria said, there have to be other options.

I just want to be sure no one looses money inadverdently.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 04 Tue Sep, 2012 11:48 pm

Linda K, here..................I just wanted to let you all know what a pleasure it is knowing you all and having you as our friends. Bill and I always pray for everyone's safety, and are thankful when we learn all have returned home safely.
This year we missed several of our regular couples/families, and believe me, YOU WERE MISSED. But it was great meeting so many new folks, and I know I speak for the Club when I say it was a pleasure having you all join our "family". You all fit right in with our crazy gang, (yes, that's a compliment :D ) and we look forward to seeing you again.
Bill has already started researching for a possible new place for lodging. For my two cents worth, lodging in Boerne would be more practical, given the exorbitant cost of gasoline and the fact that most of our activities are in Boerne.
Thank you all for making this a delightful event and a good one for the entire family. Ours is a group with a big heart and a giving spirit, and I am proud Bill and I are part of it!
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 05 Wed Sep, 2012 8:20 pm

Cyndi and I cancelled our reservations today at Meyer. They did it quickly and were quite short on the phone, however they did assure me that they had not yet charged the deposit to the card and would not be doing so.
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 06 Thu Sep, 2012 10:44 am

ROUNDUP VII ACCOMODATIONS:
I have been able to negotiate a group rate at the Hampton Inn in Boerne for next year's Roundup. Following are the details:
$85 / night for 1 King or 2 Queens
They have thrown in use of the Conference Room for Friday which is normally $250 / day
The rooms have a fridge and microwave.
They serve hot breakfast

Because it's a holiday weekend, cancellations need to be made at least 30 days in advance
When making a reservation tell them you are with the Texas Manx Dune Buggy Club.
To assure bed choices it would be best to book early.

I've reserved our room, but It will take them a day or so to get us in their system so it would be best to call after that time period.

Linda and I have stayed at this hotel several times and have been very pleased with it. But, like all recommendations, I can't guaratee that it will always be that way. It is centerally located so life will be a bit easier on that count.

Parking could be a bit of an issue, but they have an arrangement with an adjacent land owner to park trailers on his property.

PLEASE NOTE: There is no OFFICIAL place to stay for the Roundup and you are free to stay where you want. But, hopefully this will offer an attractive option with a continued opportunity for Fellowship. Their pool are is very nice.

Here is a link to the hotel:
http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels ... index.html
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby staggerwing » 06 Thu Sep, 2012 11:03 am

Looks good Bill - thanks!

Yep, we cancelled the Meyer yesterday as well. And yep, same thing, short and sweet - weird!
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Joe » 06 Thu Sep, 2012 6:03 pm

Misssy Here, we also cancled at the Meyer. I'm sure there is a B&B in Boenre has room for all of us. Although I love staying at the Meyer, can't handle the policy on cancletion on the rooms. Just have to keep looking. Happy everyone made it home safe. Had a great time , hope all u new people come back next year. Love meeting all of you and the old friends. Maybe I'll get to have my Sunshine out by then. LOL Let'hope.
Joe
Buggyholic

Return to RoundUp VI