Making it Home

2015 Memorial Day Weekend
May 22, 23 and 24 (Fri, Sat and Sun)
Wimberley, Texas

Moderator: Ken

Making it Home

Postby Bill K » 24 Sun May, 2015 3:38 pm

Sure hated to have to leave early, but happy to report a safe trip home.

Here's wishing everyone safe travels and hopefully you will post up your safe arrival.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Re: Making it Home

Postby SpatzMan70 » 24 Sun May, 2015 5:01 pm

Check out this video. Hope evryone got home safely.www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_JPUsDjReg
SpatzMan70
Buggy Dude

Postby Joe » 24 Sun May, 2015 8:51 pm

I am glad that all of youal made it home ok .
Joe
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 24 Sun May, 2015 11:36 pm

We missed you, Joe. Will you be at the Roundup?

bill
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Bobsbuggy » 25 Mon May, 2015 3:50 pm

Pam and I made it home safely. We had a great time Friday evening and Saturday. We enjoyed the company of many wonderful folks. Ken's party Friday evening was great fun. The Saturday events (and cruise) were great. Great planning Ken. Thanks for all the hard work.

Then came Saturday evening........ We were staying at the Pecan Park RV in San Marcos. About 11:30pm they came around and told us to pack up and evacuate to the Walmart Parking Lot at Hwy 80 and I-35. Here is a video of what we woke up to Sunday morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdp2OfDGX4

This was supposed to be the SAFE place....... Our trailer and buggy are at the high point of the parking lot. Mostly out of the water. The water was about 2 feet deep in parts of the parking lot. We were stuck in the parking lot for about 5 hours. The police would not let us out since we were essentially an island and there was no safe way out.

The RV park that we escaped from had 8-10 feet of water where we were parked. I am glad they told us to leave.

I can't wait for the next buggy event. Labor Day sure seems like a long way off.
Bobsbuggy
Buggy Nut

Postby ScottR » 25 Mon May, 2015 11:28 pm

Sorry for the late post.

Leslie and I are home safe and sound. The buggy had 2 1/2 inches of water in it but a great time was had by both of us and we look forward to having fun with all again soon.

Thank you for the great planning and all the hard work to make all of those who attended have a smile on their face.

'til next time...
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 29 Fri May, 2015 5:36 pm

Bill, I hope you are out of the way of the Brazos down there in Rosenburg. Holler if you need a place to stay
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 29 Fri May, 2015 11:09 pm

Thank you so much for the offer, Bryan.

We had 11" of rain here but fortunately where I live we only had the street covered with water but the house was high and dry.

But, unfortunately there are parts of Rosenberg that are being evacuated because of the Brazos River flooding.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 04 Thu Jun, 2015 11:33 am

Stories coming out of the Wimberley flooding are almost all simply tragic, but one in many remind us of hope and humanity. Flo Martin came across this story about the Pizza place we gathered at during the Blast. Makes me happy to spend money at a place like this.

Collie family helping neighbors in wake of Wimberley disaster
By Patrick Beach - American-Statesman Staff

Since the Memorial Day weekend floods that devastated Wimberley and other parts of Central Texas, the Collie family that runs Brewster’s Pizza & Wimberley Brewing Co. on the southern edge of the hard-hit hamlet have focused on helping their neighbors.

“We’ve been making hundreds of pizzas a day and passing them out on the river, and we’ve mucked out three houses,” said Bruce Collie, a former NFL offensive guard who played in two consecutive Super Bowls in the late 1980s and is the father of 13 children along with wife Holly Collie.

“Our neighbor’s 4,500-square-foot stone structure was taken out like it was nothing. Cabins are gone. The whole river is like an atom bomb went off,” he said. “We’ve been donating a lot of stuff. It’s all good. I think we’re going to heal up.”

We first brought you the story of Collie, his wife Holly, and their multitudinous brood in 2009, not long after Wimberley Brewing Co. opened. The plan then was to open a pizzeria to go with the house-brewed beer made by what was then almost certainly the smallest commercial brewery in the state. Brewster’s opened near the junction of RM 12 and FM 32 the year after our original story was published.

The number of children held at 13 — “the factory’s shut down,” Collie cracked. The eldest, Devyn, is 22 and a published author, finishing college and planning to get her pilot’s license. The youngest, the wee Dennison when we first introduced you to the family, is now 6.

Collie now has a full-time assistant brewer and has in the works 10 beers on draft, including a Chimay-style Belgian and an IPA, as well as nonalcoholic cream soda.

Earlier this month, the pub and pizzeria hosted a “brewgrass” festival featuring son Jensen and others that drew 2,500 people.

“We actually ran out of pizza,” said Collie, who’s now 52. “We had 425 pizzas in six and a half hours. We made about a pizza a minute.”

Collie sounds deeply content to be settled into middle age and watch his children grow up.

“We’ve paid our dues,” he said. “Getting old is na honor. It’s just awesome to see your kids become their own people. You go from being a parent to an observer. We’re really into that. They’re hard workers and finding their own way.”
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 04 Thu Jun, 2015 12:35 pm

Being that Angela is a graduating Senior, this story has definitely made this man a very proud dad. So I'm going to share it.

Recently Graduated Seniors 2015, see the message from ESPN and COTA about X-Games about FREE tickets!
Attention Recent Graduates of Wimberley HS Class of 2015!

It is X Games Austin week at Circuit of The Americas and word reached the ESPN and COTA Teams about how the Wimberley HS Class of 2015 cancelled your trip to Fiesta Texas. And how you then put those funds back into the Wimberley community to help the folks clean-up and rebuild after the Memorial Day floods.

We were so impressed by your collective gesture that we at X Games Austin wanted to offer you a different day out, on us, at our event from June 5 to June 7. We are offering you and every student who graduated this summer two, three-day Experience General Admission wristbands to X Games Austin 2015. COTA and ESPN would be honored if you can make it. Bring a friend, bring a family member or bring someone you think deserves a day out – however you want to use your allocation, hopefully we can help put a smile back on the faces of the people of Wimberley, just as you did for us when we heard about your Class of 2015.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby GregR » 04 Thu Jun, 2015 4:06 pm

That's great. Way to go kids.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby staggerwing » 04 Thu Jun, 2015 9:32 pm

Very cool stuff! I think I'll go pour a glass o homemade wine and toast people helping people!

Cheers..
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 05 Fri Jun, 2015 5:33 pm

There are still good people in this land and it is so good to get to know about them.
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 06 Sat Jun, 2015 3:17 pm

Ken,

Make sure to put Brewster's on the agenda again for next year's Blast. It's always great to support people who do good for others. Also tell your daughter that was a wonderful thing that she and her class did, and then treat her to a day at Fiesta TX! I'm sure that the community will still be rebuilding next year as well. Maybe there will be something then that we can all take part in. We were all fortunate not to have anything serious happen to any members and should all be thankful.

Rick
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggy Nut

Return to Buggy Blast XIII