Agenda

2018 Memorial Day Weekend
May 25, 26 and 27 (Fri, Sat and Sun)
Nacogdoches, Texas

Moderator: Ken

Agenda

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 12 Tue Dec, 2017 10:29 am

Hello All!

The format follows previous Blasts and Roundups and I hope a great time will be had by all!

May 25, Friday:
  • What: Meet & Greet
  • When: 7:00 - 10:00 p.m.
  • Where: Pine Creek Country Inn, 341 Pine Creek Rd., Nacogdoches, TX 75964.
    - Map and GPS coordinates can also locate the facility at 1851 FM 2782, Nacogdoches, TX 75964.
    - If it's convenient, bring an appetizer or dessert and/or drinks to share.
    - Always plenty of food, so come hungry. Always plenty of adult beverages too, so plan appropriately.
    - Lets all have a fun and safe weekend!

May 26, Saturday:
  • What: Breakfast (Optional)
  • When: 9:00 a.m.
  • Where: At your place of lodging. Leave at 9:45 to head to Show & Shine.

May 26, Saturday:
  • What: Show & Shine
  • When: 10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
  • Where: Festival Park, 507 S. Pecan St., Nacogdoches, TX 75961.

May 26, Saturday:
  • What: Lunch & Cruise
  • When: 12:45 p.m. - Until?
  • Where: Lunch will be in Nacogdoches, then we will head off on our cruise.
    - Fun stop towards the end of our cruise!

May 26, Saturday:
  • What: Free Time
  • When: Later Afternoon & Evening
  • Where: Wherever you want!

May 27, Sunday:
  • What: Breakfast (Optional)
  • When: 9:00 a.m.
  • Where: At your place of lodging. Leave at 9:45 to head to Festival Park.

May 27, Sunday:
  • What: Cruise & Lunch
  • When: 10:00 a.m.
  • Where: We have a fun cruise planned through the piney woods and lunch at cool restaurant.
    - We will meet around 10:00 a.m. at Festival Park for brief conversation and prayer, then head off on our cruise.
    - After lunch, we have another fun stop planned towards the end of the cruise!

May 27, Sunday:
  • What: Group Dinner
  • When: 7:00 p.m.
  • Where: Maklemore's Ale House & Pub, 2304 North St., Nacogdoches, TX 75965.
    - We will have a private room reserved for the Club.
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggy Nut

Re: Agenda

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 13 Tue Mar, 2018 4:48 pm

The agenda has now been updated with detailed information. Please take a look.

Thanks,

Rick
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggy Nut

Postby Bryan Porter » 14 Wed Mar, 2018 10:32 am

Sounds good Rick we should have a great time. We are sure looking forward to seeing everybody again thanks
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 22 Thu Mar, 2018 9:42 pm

Great Schedule Rick & Cyndi.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Tappa » 19 Thu Apr, 2018 10:32 am

How can we legally go on a cruise when our buggies are not legal for the street?
I want to attend and have some fun driving mine but don't want a ticket or to have my registration revoked.
Any ideas?

Tappa
Tappa
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 19 Thu Apr, 2018 12:31 pm

The situation was the same at the Buggy Roundup last September. A group of Buggies cruising together were certainly highly visible. And, we had no problems even when Police Officers pulled up beside us
And this was at a time they were still revoking titles. Currentlly they have placed a moratorium on revoking titles.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 19 Thu Apr, 2018 5:57 pm

Thank you for your response Bill. You are exactly right. I have been researching this issue in preparation for the Blast, and will outline below where I believe we stand as of today. First of all, here is the exact wording from the Texas DMV manual:

2.5 Assembled Vehicles Not Eligible for Title:
The following are not eligible for Texas title regardless of the vehicle’s previous title
and/or registration in this or any other jurisdiction:
• vehicles designed or determined by the department to be a dune buggy;

This language does not make the dune buggy itself illegal to drive on Texas public roads. It deals solely with the titling and registration of the vehicle. With that being said, for a vehicle to be driven legally on Texas public roads, it must have a current title, registration, insurance, and has passed inspection. If your dune buggy has all of these things currently, it is legal to drive on Texas public roads. If your title has been revoked, and not reinstated, or your registration was rejected because of this rule, this is now a gray area, and I do not know what might happen if you get pulled over. Perhaps someone else knows more about that situation and could chime in.

This change in the DMV manual was actually adopted in April of 2014, however most of us didn't really know about, it or understand its ramifications, until last year. I will be bringing a copy of the below article to the Blast in case anyone gets questioned about this:

Texas DMV halts revocation of titles, will form group to study dune buggy legality

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/12/08/texas-dmv-halts-revocation-of-titles-will-form-group-to-study-dune-buggy-legality/

I hope that this information brings some further understanding as of where we stand today as it relates to driving our buggies legally on Texas roads. I'm looking forward to a very fun Blast, with cruises, and hope that this information will help you clarify where you and your buggy stand today in this ongoing pursuit.

Rick
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggy Nut

Postby Tappa » 21 Sat Apr, 2018 6:08 am

I bought my buggy before I found out about all this legal stuff. It came from another state and was titled as the original donor car.
When I registered it I transferred the title as it was and registered it as an antique car. The antique plate is due for an renewal and I'm not sure what to do at this point. I really want to join everyone at the Blast but not sure if I need to do anything differently.

At this point it wouldn't pass an inspection as it has no windshield wipers and the turn signal don't return when the steering wheel centers. It does have recesses for wipers so I know I could install them if needed.

Tappa
Tappa
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 21 Sat Apr, 2018 9:07 am

Antique renewal does not require any type of inspection.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby cdmartin » 24 Tue Apr, 2018 10:35 am

This looks like a great BLAST!! THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU GUYS!
Charley & Flo
cdmartin
Buggy Nut

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 06 Sun May, 2018 12:04 pm

Hello All!

We're less than 3 weeks away from the start of the Blast now! I hope that everyone is getting ready for a fun time in Nacogdoches! If you have not done so already, please go to the Registration tab and let us know that you are coming, and how many will be attending the various events. This will help the locations staff properly for our onslaught during the weekend. Also, today is the last day to order a t-shirt if you would like one, so please do that as well. If anyone has any questions about lodging or the weekend in general, just let me know.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

Rick
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggy Nut

Postby Das Li'l Beast » 19 Sat May, 2018 8:54 pm

Tappa wrote:How can we legally go on a cruise when our buggies are not legal for the street?
I want to attend and have some fun driving mine but don't want a ticket or to have my registration revoked.
Any ideas?

Tappa

I would suggest that you got to Facebook or look at the new website: "Save the Texas Dune Buggy.com", led by Faron Smith to find the latest status. Then you can make an informed decision.
Das Li'l Beast
Buggy Driver

Postby Faron » 20 Sun May, 2018 11:39 pm

Tappa wrote:I bought my buggy before I found out about all this legal stuff. It came from another state and was titled as the original donor car.
When I registered it I transferred the title as it was and registered it as an antique car. The antique plate is due for an renewal and I'm not sure what to do at this point. I really want to join everyone at the Blast but not sure if I need to do anything differently.

At this point it wouldn't pass an inspection as it has no windshield wipers and the turn signal don't return when the steering wheel centers. It does have recesses for wipers so I know I could install them if needed.

Tappa

Tappa,

If I were in your shoes, I would get on the TxDMV Website and try to Re-Register my vehicle just the way it is. If it will let you, than you are golden. If the website does not let you, go to a local TxDMV site and give it a go there. Just Re-Register it as it states on the paperwork, & don't mention that it is a Dune Buggy. (But keep in mind that you are not being totally honest.) Or you can push your fun little car over into the corner and wait until this is all ironed out. I say give the first to options a try, odds are real good that it will work out for you, & you can enjoy a awesome weekend with a great group of people, with a bunch of FUN cars.

I hope this helps & All the best!!!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to Buggy Blast XVI