F.R.E.D. in Texas May 17 - 19, 2019

Information and links to the sites that are keeping us updated on the efforts related to fixing the Texas Administrative Code Section 217.3

Moderator: admin

F.R.E.D. in Texas May 17 - 19, 2019

Postby Faron » 15 Thu Nov, 2018 11:10 pm

While Bruce and Winnie were here for the Rally in Austin in late October, they mentioned that they wished there was an Official Manx Club event here in Texas. So Scott and I said that we would work on something, but never gave a timeframe. In fact, we didn't think that we would submit an application until after Save the Texas Dune Buggy was completed.
That all changed when Bud, a Member of the Manx Club Board sent me a message. The message said that Winnie mentioned that we would work on a Texas event and that we should submit our application ASAP. So we did... We said where we planned to hold the event, what we thought we would do, and gave three dates for them to choose from. The Board asked that we host the event on the Weekend of April 17th, 18th, 19th, 2019.
Fast forward to today when Scott and I received word from Bud that the Board had approved Fred in Texas as an Official Manx Club Event! Scott & I have a lot of details to iron out, so we are not going to say much more right now. But we will in the very near future! So please save the date, and get your Manx Club Membership up to date as soon as you can. Hope to see a bunch of you there!

PS No confirmation yet, but we are pretty sure that Bruce & Winnie will be at Fred in Texas to join in the fun!
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Re: F.R.E.D. in Texas May 17 - 19, 2019

Postby Ken » 16 Fri Nov, 2018 8:35 am

1. What does FRED stand for?
2. Is this an April or May event? Your post states both.
3. Where?

When and where are what most people will need to even begin to consider attending, so sharing that would be most helpful.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 16 Fri Nov, 2018 11:08 am

F = Fun
R = Rides
E = Everyone
D = Deserves

Thank you for catching the mistake with the date & giving me an opportunity to correct it. F.R.E.D. in Texas is scheduled for May 17th, 18th, 19th, 2019.

F.R.E.D. in Texas will be held in Fredericksburg, but we do not have all the details ironed out yet, so you have all the information that we are willing to announce. But keep in mind that we will have a Host Location & negotiated discounts, I suggest that you give us a little time before you try to set up reservations, but I would ask for the time off! This will be a very fun event where you will get to meet Dune Buggy Owners from all over! We have 6 months to build an incredible event!

On a Side note this will be an Official Manx Club Event, so you will need to be up to date with your Manx Club Membership to attend.
Get out there and enjoy your Dune Buggy! www.savethetexasdunebuggy.com faron@savethetexasdunebuggy.com
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 16 Fri Nov, 2018 8:36 pm

Faron,

Our 17th annual Buggy Blast will be held on Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 - 27th. Why would you & Scott plan this event the weekend right before that?
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 17 Sat Nov, 2018 10:44 am

Rick&Cyndi M wrote:Faron,

Our 17th annual Buggy Blast will be held on Memorial Day Weekend, May 24 - 27th. Why would you & Scott plan this event the weekend right before that?

In my original post, I wrote that we gave the Manx Club Board 3 dates to choose from. To be more specific we offered up April 12th - 14th, May 10th - 12th, and June 7th - 9th. The board asked if we would consider May 17th - 19th, in order to work with Bruce & Winnie Meyers Schedule. In order to ensure that Bruce & Winnie were able to attend an event that is geared toward fun, rather than a Rally that is not geared towards something political is why we decided to go with that date.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 23 Fri Nov, 2018 12:16 pm

Hello All,

After reading the surprise announcement that Faron and Scott had secured an event here in Texas with the national Manx Club the weekend directly prior to our 17th Annual Buggy Blast in 2019, I have been in discussions with several of the leaders of our Texas Manx Club. After these discussions, I have made the determination, with their agreement, that maintaining and carrying on the traditions of the Texas Manx Club are very important, even when a competing event suddenly pops up. Therefore, the 17th annual Texas Manx Club Buggy Blast will be held as traditionally scheduled on Memorial Day Weekend, May 24-27th, 2019 in Nacogdoches, TX.

I for one will not be attending the FRED, but will be attending the Buggy Blast, and hope that many of you will as well. I'm sure that there will also be several of you that will attempt to attend both events on back-to-back weekends, and I hope that will work out for you. For those of you who choose not to attend the 2019 Blast, if you stayed at the Pine Creek Country Inn during this year's Blast, please call Lisa and cancel your reservation, as we all secured our lodging there for 2019 after having such a great time at this year's Blast.

As the Texas Manx Club 2019 Buggy Blast will go on as traditionally scheduled on Memorial Day weekend 2019, I hope that many of you will make the decision to attend it. As usual, more detailed information will be posted on the Forum in the upcoming months detailing the activities, and I'm sure it's going to be another great time. Hope to see you there.

Rick
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 23 Fri Nov, 2018 11:59 pm

Hey! That is GREAT News! If you would like, I could mention the Buggy Blast is the following week after FRED when I start promoting FRED. Who knows you could get some people to stay an extra week to attend the fun event you organize. However, I do understand that the Texas Manx Club is fairly private so I will wait to do so until I get the okay from you.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 24 Sat Nov, 2018 5:35 pm

It's unfortunate, to say the least. I can't help but think, if TMC were included in the planning, instead of being dictated too, a more amicable solution may have been found.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 24 Sat Nov, 2018 5:37 pm

Faron wrote: I do understand that the Texas Manx Club is fairly private

Wait, what?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby BrianB » 24 Sat Nov, 2018 8:15 pm

At the end of the day most of us are not official members of the “Manx Club” So I think turnout will be very low. Why not have the Meyers come and join the group for a great weekend with outlaw buggy owners!
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby lykos60 » 25 Sun Nov, 2018 11:11 am

Im not really sure how to respond to this ? Being a member of both I have mixed feeling I love our Texas Manx club group and we always have a blast when we get the chance to get together for a event. With all that happened in the past year plus with the DMV issue and everything Faron and everyone else has done in supporting the fight to get this issue change so we as Texans can legally drive our buggy on the road again I am going to support fred all the way. The national Manx club has supported us in a big way with thousands of dollars in donations to keep us afloat and driven thousands of miles in there buggies to stand on the capitol building in support ! I understand it takes a lot of planning to put on a event and there are only so many dates that can be used . I hope to be able to attend both but wont know till it comes around. I know we all have very busy schedules and its hard but I hope we all can come to a solution on this and support both.
lykos60
Buggy Builder

Postby GregR » 25 Sun Nov, 2018 11:22 am

Ken wrote:
Faron wrote: I do understand that the Texas Manx Club is fairly private

Wait, what?

Yes, what? When did or has TMC ever been private ? The forum/group may not be very chatty, but never private. The forum header alone says, "a place for "assembled vehicle using a prefabricated body" nuts."

I tend to agree with lykos60 in the respect that Faron and the National club have done a great deal to help with the titling issues facing buggies in Texas.
But, it would have been to nice (read courteous) for the TMC to get some notice so we could work together with Faron and Manx Club to put on an outstanding gathering. The experience brought by this group with cruises alone would be worth some input.

Hopefully many can attend both.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby ScottR » 29 Thu Nov, 2018 9:53 pm

Being dictated to?

I did not know we needed permission to create an event or get together from anyone. Is that why BoB was a bust, I didn't get permission? Considering I was asked to do BoB again, after I said I was done with BoB, by 5 couples sitting around the pool in Nacogdoches and NOONE showed except the Werner's and a newbie from our FB page. Not to mention the other 2 attempts were met with no big turn out. The folks that did show up, I believe had a good time and let me know the fun times.

Not to mention the support that this club has given to the cause for the reason this club is. We were told not to say anything as opposed to informing everyone on what we were doing for YOU and us. In Nacogdoches a greatly appreciated $330 was raised for the cause. But just a few bothered to show support at the rally at the Capitol. We did not dictate the rally either.

As far as being dictated to, we are inviting everyone here to attend and join in the fun. We are NOT dictating you to come. We did not ask permission, we did not run it by you first. Does this mean none will show? It is your choice. But we are NOT dictating you.
ScottR
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 30 Fri Nov, 2018 2:59 pm

I only meant, it would have been nice to have been involved in the date, so it could have been considered to join them. I'm curious why Manx Club did not choose Memorial Day weekend?

I have no idea what else you're talking about. Jeezus Christmas.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby jpbaird » 30 Fri Nov, 2018 11:26 pm

Ok catching up and seems timing is the issue... Right? Agree we should NOT step on an awesome TMC tradition, which is so perfect it hurts. Not sure we are as outlaw as is suggested but there should be some middle... would it be possible to suggest or request candidate dates that could work for all given it is our backyard?
-Jeff
jpbaird
Buggy Nut

Postby GregR » 02 Sun Dec, 2018 1:25 pm

OK, correct me if I'm wrong.

1) TMC is miffed that no one said, "Hey we're going to book a Buggy show on top of your 17th Annual event, want to help?"

2) Faron and Scott are miffed because we said, "It'd been nice and courteous to say we're booking a show on top of yours. Oh, want to help?"
(Yeah, I know it's not the same date but a week apart might as well be. And no none of us need anyone's permission to do anything whether buggy related or not. Last I checked we were all adults....sort of.)

3) Scott is miffed because the first BoB wasn't a success and if I read correctly appears to feel it's TMC's fault. The first Buggy Blast 17 years ago had 4 maybe 5 participants....and at least 2 of those were vendors, oh, and it rained! By the standards I read below it must have been a bust as well. No one should expect a huge turnout for the first of anything. Keep at it and hopefully it'll grow. Did the BoB attendees have a good time, Scott? If so, I would call it a huge success and a great start
4)
ScottR wrote:We were told not to say anything
sounds a little private and secretive but oh well, I understand TMC is supposedly the private bunch...sorry couldn't resist..

5) NO ONE on this board is NOT EXTEREMLY appreciative of ALL that you, Faron and the National Manx Club have done for buggistas in Texas.

6) No one that I saw has said anything about boycotting either gathering. In fact, those who can afford, get time off and get the kids out of school I'm sure will attend both. Does that mean some won't show up to the Blast, FRED or neither? Yup. Is it personal? Nope, and I would hope that we don't have Junior High Schoolers here.

7) Texas Manx Club, Save the Texas Dune Buggy and Texas Dune Buggy Owners are NOT and never have been private groups (well, Save the Texas Dune Buggy was for a time, but that was for a good reason.) No dues or board of directors has ever been in place, at least not with TMC. Many of us are members of all three. This is not a competition so why don't we act like it's not a competition.

8) Let's move on. Where and how can TMC and/or those planning to attend FRED help? TMCs forte has become cruises. I would hope that would count for something. If not then so be it. FRED sounds like it's intended as an event for all Manx Club members. Why can't it be organized by all Manx Club members. The National Manx Club members do an awesome job with gatherings like Lone Pine (I've been twice, also was a Charter member of Manx Club's Board of Directors) and other events.

I sincerely hope we can figure out how to put on 2 awesome events the end of May 2019 that impress the hell out of everyone involved and that as many as possible can attend both. Lets show the National Club how Texas does it right!

I stand before you unarmed. I'm done.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Faron » 03 Mon Dec, 2018 1:13 am

As I have said, we offered the Manx Club 3 Dates to choose from. We offered up April 12th - 14th, 2019, May 10th - 12th, 2019, and June 7th - 9th, 2019. After careful consideration from the Manx Club Board. The Board asked that we host the event on May 17th - 19th, 2019 in order to work with the schedule of the Manx Club Events as well as Bruce & Winnie Meyers Schedule. A few very important things needed to be considered when it was decided that we would move forward with the Date the Manx Club asked us to work with. 1. It was Bruce & Winnie Meyers that asked that an event is organized in our beautiful state. 2. It will be the Manx Club & funds raised by the event itself that will cover the costs of Bruce & Winnie Meyers Travel. 3. The Board of Directors were doing all they could to make sure that there is as high a attendance for all Official/Unofficial Manx Club Events. That is why they asked us to work with the date we were given. 4. The invitation to attend FRED in Texas has gone out internationally & we have the Host Hotel lined up. As Bruce says... Dune Buggies are about building friendships with like-minded people, in our individualized "Bitchen Cars"!

2019 MANX CLUB Event Schedule
Save the dates - details forthcoming St a later time.
Borrego (Viva La Borrego) – Mar 22-24, 2019 – Borrego Springs, CA
Manx In The Sunshine (Unofficial Club Event/Gathering) – Apr 4-7, 2019 – Safety Harbor, FL
FRED in Texas (New Club Event) – May 17-19, 2019 - Fredericksburg, TX
NORRA Mexican 1000 (Unofficial Club Event/Gathering) – Apr 26 – May 3, 2019 – Baja California, MEX
Carlisle Import/Kit Car Show (Unofficial Club Event/Gathering) – May 17-19, 2019 – Carlisle, PA
Heartland Ramble 2019 (New Club Event) – Jun 20-23, 2019 – Cape Girardeau, MO
Big Bear – July 11-14, 2019 – Big Bear, CA

A Quote from GregR:
5) NO ONE on this board is NOT EXTREMELY appreciative of ALL that you, Faron and the National Manx Club have done for buggies in Texas.
AWESOME, Thank you for saying so, its much appreciated!

A quote from GregR:
7) Texas Manx Club, Save the Texas Dune Buggy and Texas Dune Buggy Owners are NOT and never have been private groups (well, Save the Texas Dune Buggy was for a time, but that was for a good reason.) No dues or board of directors has ever been in place, at least not with TMC. Many of us are members of all three. This is not a competition so why don't we act like it's not a competition.
You are correct GregR this is not is not & should not be a competition, I totally agree with you. Well all Texans want to show off just how beautiful Texas is right! So it is, but I would like to think it's not a competition between fellow Texans! LOL

Another Quote from GregR 8) Let's move on. Where and how can TMC and/or those planning to attend FRED help? TMCs forte has become cruises. I would hope that would count for something. If not then so be it. FRED sounds like it's intended as an event for all Manx Club members. Why can't it be organized by all Manx Club members? The National Manx Club members do an awesome job with gatherings like Lone Pine (I've been twice, also was a Charter member of Manx Club's Board of Directors) and other events.
LETS MOVE ON! What an AWESOME idea, and I am all for it!!! But I want to point out something to EVERYONE who is reading this. From the beginning, I have stood firm on staying with May 17th - 19th, 2019 due to The Manx Club as well as Bruce & Winnies Schedule. But never once have I said that I wouldn't except an offer of a helping hand. It's rare that I don't pick up the phone on an incoming call & I always return missed phone calls. (505)688-7640. My email is Faronsmith70@gmail.com. Please feel free to get in touch and we will see what we can work out. The ONLY stipulation that Scott and I ask, PLEASE be prepared to move forward in a positive direction as that is the only way we will have a successful event/events. Also, I can't speak for Scott, but if you think of anything I can do to help with the Buggy Blast or the TMC in General. Please do not hesitate to ask.
Faron
Buggyholic

Postby johber41 » 04 Tue Dec, 2018 1:28 am

Is it ok to just drive by and say hi to everyone at Texas FRED if you are not a Manx Club Member? Just some comic relief to lighten the chat!.......
johber41
Buggyholic

Postby Faron » 04 Tue Dec, 2018 11:47 am

johber41 wrote:Is it ok to just drive by and say hi to everyone at Texas FRED if you are not a Manx Club Member? Just some comic relief to lighten the chat!.......

LOL
https://youtu.be/mg0dkJfrPYM
Faron
Buggyholic

Return to Save the Texas Dune Buggy, Sandrail, Kitcar