Not So Welcome in Glen Rose?

2020 Memorial Day Weekend
May 22, 23 and 24 (Fri, Sat and Sun)

Moderators: Ken, Rick&Cyndi M

Not So Welcome in Glen Rose?

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 05 Tue May, 2020 11:22 am

I called and had a lengthy discussion with the Director of the Glen Rose Convention and Visitors Bureau this morning, which is a City Agency. Glen Rose has a population of about 2,500 people. The city, and the county that they are in, have not had any reported cases of Covid-19 to date. They are following Governor Abbott’s guidelines to the letter – enforcing social distancing, limiting gatherings to family members, reduced capacity at restaurants, no venues are open that promote large gatherings, many businesses have not reopened yet. City Hall is not actively promoting tourism at this time.

Through our discussion I was able to get insight that the residents there who do not have a business don’t want tourists in their town, the residents that do have businesses there want tourists to come back. She and I agreed that everything will hinge on Governor Abbott’s Phase 2 reopening guidelines. If they stay the same or go backwards, I believe the Blast will have to be cancelled. If they open things up more, she and I will speak again, and I hope that the city will welcome us and our tourist dollars.

All venues at the RV Park in May have been cancelled, however camping is still allowed. A couple of the stops I was going to make are still closed. The bottom line is that I can’t commit one way or the other today about going forward with the Blast in Glen Rose. I would very much like to hear any and all feedback from you regarding this situation and any recommendations or ideas that you may have for the Blast.

Hope to see you all soon,

Rick
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggy Nut

Re: Not So Welcome in Glen Rose?

Postby Ken » 05 Tue May, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi Rick,
Thanks for working through this and sharing. Not sure what else can be done, except wait and see or cancel and try again later. Maybe postpone the Blast until things look a little more normal?
Waiting may be OK for some, but my guess is most will need to know so they can make arrangements with work or family etc... Crazy times for sure. I'm also looking forward to hearing what others have to say.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby staggerwing » 05 Tue May, 2020 4:35 pm

Doesn’t sound like a car club is going to be a welcome sight in Glen Rose any time soon.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby Heathwerner » 05 Tue May, 2020 6:08 pm

Thanks again Rick for all you are doing.
This is a tough call. If it is decided to continue with the Blast we may have to come up with some creative social distancing to conform to the rules in place at that time. I believe we can do it if we all agree to it. The main thing is we do not want to upset the residents of Glen Rose but I think if we follow the rules and they see that, they may actually enjoy seeing the buggies and take there minds off the whole Covid thing.

We will respect any decision that is made one way or the other.

Now you know how Trump feels Rick. Figure that may get you brownie points with Cyndi!

Or we could just all show up and camp in Kens yard all weekend.
Heathwerner
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 05 Tue May, 2020 8:56 pm

staggerwing wrote:Doesn’t sound like a car club is going to be a welcome sight in Glen Rose any time soon.

Thanks Richard, uummm how do I say this... well could you ask Sandy to come to the forum please. :roll:
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 05 Tue May, 2020 8:58 pm

Heathwerner wrote:Or we could just all show up and camp in Kens yard all weekend.

Bhahahaha, wait what?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby yoboy » 06 Wed May, 2020 9:20 am

We have our reservation at the campground and still plan on coming and enjoying the weekend. We understand that some places may be closed or at reduced spacing.

It just makes for another great adventure.

The best buggy blast from our memories was the one spent at the Salado hotel. We spent all day in the hotel lobby because of the pouring rain outside. During that unplanned activity we made friendships and memories of a lifetime.

Just our two cents...
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 06 Wed May, 2020 10:52 am

yoboy wrote:It just makes for another great adventure.

Yay!! Billy and Gloria are here! And you just walk up and jump off the deep end without looking.
We totally agree that was a great Blast in the hotel lobby.

Rick&Cyndi M wrote:limiting gatherings to family members, reduced capacity at restaurants, no venues are open that promote large gatherings, many businesses have not reopened yet. City Hall is not actively promoting tourism at this time

I'm worried about our ability to socialize. When does Abbott move us to phase two, assuming that would ease things more?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 06 Wed May, 2020 2:41 pm

Heathwerner wrote:Or we could just all show up and camp in Kens yard all weekend.

Heath, Delia said same rules as your mom's house... Shannon is always welcome! Bhahaha :D
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Rick&Cyndi M » 06 Wed May, 2020 5:49 pm

Hey Ken,

Gov. Abbott is currently scheduled to announce Phase 2 changes on May 15th. However he held a press conference yesterday and announced some new easing and clarifications. We can get our hair cut starting Friday! This is great news - as we might be ostracized anyway if Dave shows up with shoulder length hair, wearing the biker vest and those glasses!
Rick&Cyndi M
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 06 Wed May, 2020 11:20 pm

Just going to throw my two cents worth in:
1. With every event we've done, there are lots of smiles and waves from the public. If they don't want tourists that would certainly diminish one of the pleasures of the Blast
2. If we have to practice social distancing in a restaurant setting, that too diminishes the pleasure
3. I'm guessing in our group there are people like myself who, at least for now, need to continue practicing social distancing and wearing a mask. And, there are others who may not think that important, which is just fine. But, that could make for a bit of awkwardness.
And, setting rules for behavior like wearing a mask and practicing social distancing certainly doesn't fit our style.

So for my part, if restrictions are still in place, I would suggest postponing or rescheduling.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 07 Thu May, 2020 8:58 am

I feel a need to offer an Addendum to my previous post.

I think perhaps my tone of caution was caused by a couple of local news stories I had just heard, One was of a 70 year old Harris County Deputy who just died of the virus after a month in the hospital. And, the other was of a virus-recovered young Houston Police Officer who had previously in his career been shot in the line of duty. He said he would rather be shot again than go through the virus once more.

The bottom line is in the end Rick & Cyndi will gather the facts of the situation, take a look at some of our opinions and then have to make a decision.

And I know full well, that whatever is decided, I like everyone else in this group, will fully support them in their decision.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Return to Buggy Blast XVIII