Children's Medical Center Parade - Dallas Texas 12-01-12

Discuss or propose a club event.

Moderator: Bill K

Children's Medical Center Parade - Dallas Texas 12-01-12

Postby yoboy » 07 Fri Sep, 2012 8:29 am

We submitted our club application for the 2012 Children's Medical Center parade yesterday. This is the parade which some of our group was able to participate in last year which also aired live on TV in Dallas on the date of the parade and other locations around the state and the US thru the month of December. We will have to wait to see if they extend an invitation to our group and will keep everyone posted. Just wanted to get everyone thinking about this and let us know if you will be able to participate if we are invited. Thanks.

Here's the link for the parade website:

http://www.childrensmedicalcenterdallas ... -involved/
yoboy
Buggyholic

Re: Children's Medical Center Parade - Dallas Texas 12-01-12

Postby GregR » 07 Fri Sep, 2012 8:43 am

This was a lot of fun last year. If you can arrange time top make it (pending the invitation from CMC) you won't regret it.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby CoryN » 07 Fri Sep, 2012 4:08 pm

I'll be there. Hopefully with the buggy this time, but will be there either way.

Cory
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby ET Manx » 11 Tue Sep, 2012 8:06 pm

I'll go if we're invited! I had fun last year. :D

Georganne
ET Manx
Buggy Nut

Location: Lindale, in the beautiful rolling hills of East Texas

Postby yoboy » 13 Thu Sep, 2012 8:26 pm

I have been contacted by the a representative of the Children's Medical Center Parade about our involvement in the parade again this year. She has scheduled an appointment to come by on September 25th to see our dune buggy in person and discuss the cars that will may be participating.

If you are interested in participating please let me know or post a reply by the 24th. I will know more once I have a chance to talk with her in person and need to be able to explain to her about each of the cars wanting to participate.

Thanks.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby ET Manx » 13 Thu Sep, 2012 10:01 pm

I'm ready, just waitin' on the invitation! I could carry a cartoon character if they can fit! :D

Georganne
ET Manx
Buggy Nut

Postby Bill K » 13 Thu Sep, 2012 11:07 pm

Linda and I are interested.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby cdmartin » 14 Fri Sep, 2012 3:26 pm

Charley and I are interested too.
Sounds like fun
cdmartin
Buggy Nut

Postby yoboy » 01 Mon Oct, 2012 7:25 pm

The representative from the Children's Medical Center parade came by today to see the buggy and visit. They have accepted us to participate in the parade and here's who we have participating based on the members that have replied to me:

1. Bryan
2. Russell
3. Georganne
4. Charlie
5. Bill
6. Billy
(& maybe Cory, if he gets his car going....if not maybe we can talk him into taking pics again...the ones last year were great ;-) )

Thanks to everyone that responded. It's going to be a good time. Please make plans to decorate your buggies but please leave the back seat available to carry either a child from the hospital or a character. If you have any questions about this please give me a call. They will again be making a large sign to be carried in front of our group like last year. We can make a weekend of this again like last year if everyone is interested. We will again provide lunch on Saturday after the parade. More details to come as it gets closer to the date. The parade will again be televised live in Dallas area on Saturday December 1, at 10:00 am. It will re-air around the state and the US thru the month of December.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 01 Mon Oct, 2012 7:34 pm

Bryan's got me running. Just some fine tuning now. Count me in.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Joe » 02 Tue Oct, 2012 8:55 am

Hi, If we get missy buggy back from Neil we like go?
Joe
Buggyholic

Postby ET Manx » 02 Tue Oct, 2012 10:05 am

Yeah, looking forward to it! :lol:

Since it's just me by myself, I can hold a kid or 2 or 3!

Georganne
ET Manx
Buggy Nut

Postby yoboy » 13 Tue Nov, 2012 10:48 am

Here's the link for the list for this year's parade line up.

http://www.childrensmedicalcenterdallas ... de-lineup/

We completed the forms for our group this week and should be receiving our parking passes soon.

We have not yet received any information as to characters etc. that will be selected to ride in our buggies. If/when we get info on that we will pass this along.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 13 Tue Nov, 2012 5:28 pm

Are there any guidelines with respect to decorations etc? I don't want to unknowingly violate some code.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 14 Wed Nov, 2012 9:08 pm

Cory,

They don't want any signs that are not approved by the parade committee. They will again have a sign showing the name of our group carried in front of us. Also they state no improper use of the American flag, no political signs, etc. No throwing of any items from the cars. Also no stopping in the television broadcast area unless requested to do so. All units must keep moving in that area.

As far as decorations, just decorations like we have done in the past. Also let me know if you would like a bow made for the hood of your car. Gloria has someone that is making bows for the cars like our car and Bryan's car had last year. Also let us know if you have a preference to the color. We will be doing the bow, some of the gel clings on the windshield (walmart sells those), some garland and a wreath on the front.

Also they do not want any eating, drinking or smoking along the parade route or in the staging areas. This is probably a City of Dallas rule.

Give me a call if you have any questions or want to discuss. Thank you.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 25 Sun Nov, 2012 9:57 am

Just checked next weeks weather and looks like it's going to be pretty good, low 70's for high and low 50's for lows. No "R" word.... Should be much better than last year. But you know that weather forecast could change....... I still do not have the parking passes or parking information yet but will call them tomorrow to check.

The parade will be televised in the Dallas area on channel 8 at 10:00 am.

For those coming to stay on Friday evening we are planning on a cook out.

Saturday after the parade we will be having a bar-b-que catered lunch. If anyone in the Dallas area wants to stop by and visit with fellow buggy folks please feel free to do so.

Look forward to seeing everyone next weekend.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 26 Mon Nov, 2012 11:37 am

Don't want to Jinx anything, but the weather looks to be especially nice at 76 degrees.

Looking forward to it.

Cory
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 27 Tue Nov, 2012 9:24 am

Yes the weather is looking great for the weekend! Mid to upper 70's, lows in upper 50's. What about a short cruise after lunch on Saturday????
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 27 Tue Nov, 2012 12:02 pm

Just received update from the parade committee.

Our group will be entry #42, will follow the Trinity College Band. Need to be in the line up at 8:00. The characters our cars will be carrying are: Biscuit, Maisey, Max and Wildthang. These characters will be in the cars that have roll bars. (Russell, Georganne, Charlie and Bryan). They will also be having about 50 of the walking clowns around our group as we proceed thru the parade route. I was also given information on the parking lot location for this year for our tow vehicles. Looks like our buggies will be getting some TV time :D

Cory,

Will you be meeting at our place and going with us or do you need the directions to meet us in Dallas?
Last edited by yoboy on 27 Tue Nov, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 27 Tue Nov, 2012 3:25 pm

Billy

Not sure yet, might be closer to just go from here, but its nice to roll in as a group.

What time do you plan on leaving Nevada?
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 27 Tue Nov, 2012 8:46 pm

Will we all get to run together this year? Even the buggies with characters in them? I'd hate to see everyone get all split up this year.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 27 Tue Nov, 2012 10:49 pm

Cory,

We plan on leaving about 7:00 am. Just let me know if you need directions.

Yes we will be as a group. That is one of the things I discussed initially with the parade representative when they first visited to talk about our participation in the parade.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby Ken » 28 Wed Nov, 2012 8:43 am

I know this will be a great weekend for everyone participating. Safe travels to everyone and don't forget to take plenty of pictures, to share with us party poopers.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » 01 Sat Dec, 2012 12:54 pm

yoboy wrote:The characters our cars will be carrying are: Biscuit, Maisey, Max and Wildthang.

I have no clue what these are. Did coyote finally eat the roadrunner and Elmer must have harvested bugs and daffy?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby yoboy » 02 Sun Dec, 2012 8:26 pm

We want to thank each of you who came out this weekend to the parade and participated in such a great event for such a good cause as the Children's Medical Center. Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend....

Here's a few photos from yesterday:

WISHING ALL OF OUR BUGGY BUDS A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Last edited by yoboy on 03 Mon Dec, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 03 Mon Dec, 2012 9:05 am

Here are a couple of pictures from a different viewpoint.

CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby cdmartin » 03 Mon Dec, 2012 12:31 pm

Great pictures! We had a blast! It was great!! Best part was seeing our fellow club members. Thank you Billy for your efforts with the parade committee to get us the invitation. This was a first for us and Mickey. We recorded the parade as it was televised on channel 8. It was a hour long broadcast and we were hoping that all of the buggies would be shown. As it turns out, onLy the first two buggies were on tv. Brian and Annie with the dog BISCUIT, and us wit Maisey the mouse. So, we had our 10 seconds of fame. If it wasn't for the characters riding on the buggies I am sure we would have been left off of the broadcast too. It was fun, and the crowd a of kiddos seemed to enjoy it, they sure knew them. A big thank you to Georgeann for allowing our kiddo Christie to ride with her. She had fun and was glad to meet our fellow buggy friends. Charley survived the day riding shotgun,with me driving. Lord willing he will be back in the drivers seat soon. I managed not to run over anyone,and not stall out,but I like riding better than driving.

Thank you Billy and Gloria for your hospitality and BBQ lunch. It was so nice of you to invite us over and we enjoyed the food and fellowship.

Well folks, until the next time,be safe and have a wonderful holiday.

Flo and Charley
cdmartin
Buggy Nut

Postby Bryan Porter » 03 Mon Dec, 2012 5:20 pm

Flo
Where are your pictures I thought I saw you taking some?
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby cdmartin » 03 Mon Dec, 2012 11:05 pm

I didn't take any pictures but Charley did on his iPhone. He would like to post them if he knew how. If he gets it figured out they will be posted. Say hi to Annie for me,it was great to see you guys.
cdmartin
Buggy Nut

Postby Ken » 04 Tue Dec, 2012 7:25 am

Loving all the pictures. Looks like a great time. So who are the Cowboy players, anyone we should know?
Ken
Site Admin

Postby CoryN » 04 Tue Dec, 2012 9:14 am

Dallas Stars Players Marty Turco and Bob Bassen
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 06 Thu Dec, 2012 10:05 am

We can see we missed out on a WONDERFUL time. :( The pics are spectacular; I just finished going through them a second time and "eating my heart out"!
As it turned out, it was really a good thing we opted out, as Bill has a torn cartilage in his knee and our nephew's 2nd surgery was the day before the parade. We were at MDAnderson from 10AM-8PM Friday, but all went even better than we hoped, thank God! (Oh, there was the "little" issue that Wade's surgery was scheduled for 11:30 and they finally took the poor man in at FIVE IN THE AFTERNOON.) And thank you all for your prayers; he truly appreciates the fact that total strangers were lifting him in prayer......Bill and I could never thank you all enough. Another little glitch in our joining you all was some ill-timed remodeling.

Do Billy and Gloria know how to host a bash, or what?! We think they are "the cat's meow"! (And the dog's Sugar Daddy!!) Always ready with a helping hand and always ready to offer their wonderful lodging to whomever needs a place to stay. Thank you, B&G, for being some of the finest folks we know.

We will treasure looking at those pictures again and again. Obviously the old cliche about a "good time was had by all" is an understatement in this case. So glad you were all able to participate and represent our club so colorfully. The buggies looked FANTASTIC, as did their occupants! :P

Bill and I wish you all a very, very blessed Christmas, and health and more blessings in the New Year...................................Linda (& Bill)
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby yoboy » 18 Tue Dec, 2012 9:27 am

In case anyone wants to watch the re-broadcast of the parade during the holiday season here's a few times and channels posted so far:

Dallas/Ft Worth

6:00 AM & 12:00 PM on December 25 [no stations posted yet]

Houston

KHOU CBS 12/23/2012 1:00 PM
KVUM IND 12/24/2012 7:00 PM

Austin

KVUE ABC 12/23/2012 12:00PM
WHPX IND 12/14/12 7:00PM

Tyler

KYTX CBS 12/24/2012 11:30 PM

Corpus Christi

KIII ABC 12/23/2012 1:00PM

They also have Waco-Temple-Bryan, Abilene and San Angelo scheduled but have not posted the dates/time/station currently but we will try to post those also once available. Also if anyone outside of the state would like to see the parade the Children's Medical Center Holiday Parade website has a listing of the broadcasts available.
yoboy
Buggyholic

Return to Events, Cruises, & Future Trips