urethane vs rubber

Chassis & Electrical. Ask a question, share your knowledge, build it right.

Moderator: Ken

urethane vs rubber

Postby staggerwing » 03 Fri Nov, 2006 5:54 pm

I need to replace the grease seals on the front beam and was just going to use the "rubber torsion grease seals" as replacments. The local supplier here only has urethane until next weekend, so I searched "urethane" at aircooledparts and found a nice assortment of possible replacements including this:

"Urethane bushing kit for ball-joint front ends. This is the "short" kit for just the outer ends of the beam."

Questions are: do these guys take the place of the needle bearing sets in the torsion tube ends? if they do, do they come in black and are they a good replacement for the rubber seals.

thanks for the help...
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 03 Fri Nov, 2006 6:01 pm

Yes, they are for sealing and curing any slop in the arms. I'm checking to see if I have the seals in the rubber, I think that I do. Will post back in a few minutes.
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby David O' » 03 Fri Nov, 2006 6:14 pm

No, I looked and I've checked my records, I've sold out of those, have to get them reordered....sorry about that!
If at first you don't succeed, beat the pshaw out of the business partner, and then go at it alone! LOL!
David O'
Buggyholic

Postby carlos del carpio » 05 Sun Nov, 2006 1:30 am

if it's a ball joint beam, and it's just the seals, I have a set just.... sitting here, never installed. I opted for the bearing replacement urethane sleeves, yup! If you need 'em, lemmie know!
you must have pride....in your ride....
carlos del carpio
Buggyholic

beam seals

Postby staggerwing » 07 Tue Nov, 2006 2:05 pm

Thanks Carlos:

Hooked up with David O last night and he's sending some much needed supplies my way for the buggy build, including the beam seals. I appreciate the offer and I'm sure other stuff will come up as the build progresses.
staggerwing
Buggyholic

Return to Technical Talk